FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CO #71 from AMS [June 13, 2007]
View Single Post
Old Jun 14, 2007, 9:46 pm
cj0119

I was on the flight...

The flight wheeled off AMS around 2:16pm on 6/13 and we were told that with favorable winds, we would have arrived EWR 30 minutes ahead of schedule. Twenty minutes after wheeled off, ISM informed the passengers that there were problems with all the lavs onboard and they were trying everything they could to fix it. About an hour later, the captain decided to landed at SNN to have the lavs fixed on the ground.

After landing at SNN for about an hour, everyone was given a voucher of 10 Euro for a snack and a sheet stating the EU passenger rights and a customer comment card. We were informed that it might take another hour or two to have the problem fixed. At around 7 or 8 pm local time (we landed around 3pm local time), we were told to go through immigration and go to baggage claim to get our bags as we would stay overnight. About an hour later, the bags finally came out. Some people didn't get their bags as the access to that part of the cargo hold on the plane was blocked by the effort to fix the lavs...

Finally, we all got on buses to hotels. It was after 10pm. Some people (strangers) had to share rooms as there were not enough rooms. I overheard on the next day that a few people were driven around on a bus to three different places and finally got rooms. I think two buses came to the hotel I stayed at. Dinner was served between 10:30pm and 11pm. Announcement (NOT by Continental staff) was made at dinner that wakeup call at 6:45am, continental breakfast at 7:15am and leaving for the airport at 7:45am. BTW, I didn't see any Contitnenal people at the hotel. Room sharing was done through a good fellow passenger annoucing at dinner that some people didn't get rooms and asking for volunteers to share. I am pretty sure BF/Elite passengers didn't get different treatments for hotel accommodations and meals (lining up with everyone for checking into the same hotel).

Got to the airport around 8am (6/14) and we were told 4 out of 6 lavs were fixed and they were trying to get the 2 done. The schedule departure time was set at 12 noon. Everyone lined up for security measure and checking in (BF and Elite did get a different line AFTER the security line and seats were reassigned - not the same seat as yesterday). Some people did get another 10 Euro Voucher here again but I didn't get it. The waiting started. Around 10am, announcement were made that our flight would not went through US immigration ("regular" SNN to US flights clear immigration and custom at SNN) and would be boarded at gate 14 around 11:30am. People started to make the long track towards gate 14 but the area was not accessible as it's not "secure". We were told to go back to the duty free area (more shopping) to wait for another announcement. Finally, we were told to proceed to the gate and went through another security (they just set it up near gate 14). Boarding started around 12noon and we were told that the lavs were not fixed at all (different from what we were told in the early morning). They still didn't work. It will only be 6 hours and 8 minutes after taking off for the flight. But we should go to the loo on the ground before we boarded and did the best we could on board (still allow to go but keep it at minimum as they didn't flush). Everyone got on and sat down. Around 1:30pm, the plane was still not moving. The captain announced that they had some problems with some instruments in the cockpit and the technicians were trying to fix it. We were let out to use the rest room again at this time. around 2pm, they were getting people going to the rest room onboard and we were told wheels up would be at 2:25pm. This time, we did take off at 2:25pm :-)

The service on the flight was as usual (one meal and one snack before landing) but everyone obviously restrained from taking in too much liquid. We landed at EWR around 3:35pm this afternoon. And we were given a "customer care kit" as we got off the plane.

The crew did there best and tried to be as accommodating as possible. But the passengers on the flight were great as well. We did make the best of the situation and I am sure some people did make some friends. The atomsphere onboard was pretty relaxed but at the end some people did get a bit tense (especially when they found another problem in the cockpit).

I am puzzled by one thing though. Some people got upgraded to BF (onboard, not at check in) on SNN-EWR flight and I am not sure on what ground. There's were empty seats in coach and the flight is obviously not full. I just thought it was a bit unusual (BTW, I am a PE).

Well, that's about it. I was doing my best to report the trip. I may have made some mistake regarding the time but they should not be off too much. I am sure other FT'er on the flight will post more if there are any other than myself.

CJ