FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Getting Walked (or denied a room) - Experiences & Questions" thread
Old Jun 26, 2007, 1:22 pm
NOLA Flyer

Programs: DL 1 MM/DM; HH Lifetime Diamond; Hertz Presidents Circle
Walked as Diamond VIP

A couple of weeks ago, I had a confirmed two night stay reservation at the Hampton Inn Cleveland Airport location-that coincided with the NBA Finals taking place that week in town.

Upon arrival around midnight, I was told I was being walked next door to the Extended Stay America, as there were no rooms for me at the HI. I have never been walked before. Tired and irritated, After being given a letter to cover my two night stay, I went over to the ESA-who knew nothing of my supposed arranged stay at their hotel. In addition, the only rooms available were smoking (completely unacceptable).

I walked back over to the HI and complained bitterly. I was told by the desk manager that all the hotels in the area were booked. I called the Diamond VIP number and scrambled for a hotel room. After 30 minutes on the phone, I found a room at the HGI Cleveland downtown with rooms at $189/night (double what I would've paid at the HI). I was told by the HI desk manager that they would cover my two night stay as long as I bring the letter.

Checked in at the HGI around 1:30a, with an early morning appt a few hours later. (note that Game 4 was taking place that evening)

Later that evening when I arrived back the HGI, I was called by the front desk telling me that I would be responsible for the two night stay, despite the letter from HI.

I called the HI back and tried to get satisfaction. I was told by the desk manager that only one night's stay would be covered and that I was to return to the HI since they had rooms that night for the 2nd night. I was flabbergasted, since I was told nothing of this the night before-and also explained that it would have been my preference to return to the HI anyway since I had an early morning flight the next day. However, it was too late to check out of the HGI, so I was stuck.

Unfortunately for me, everyone who need to be involved in the decision regarding the situation were at the game.

So I wound up paying for the stay and having to deal with getting reimbursed afterward. The HI general manager offered to pay the first night stay, but would not cover both nights. He also offered a free 3 night stay at his hotel the next time I was in Cleveland (which is not anytime soon).

In any event, I was ticked to no end. Miscommunication was the operative word here. The HI should have notified me of the oversold situation, so I could have made arrangements for alternative lodging-instead of upon my arrival at their hotel. They didn't make any arrangements for my supposed stay at the ESA, despite the form letter that was given to me. In addition, they should have told me that I was to return to the HI for the 2nd night (which they didn't).

I was not very happy as to how I was treated at all. I wrote a letter to HHonors to voice my complaint. Anyone out there had a similar experience?