FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - San Francisco MEGA-DO 2007 - September 14-16
Old Aug 9, 2007, 2:01 pm
rudling

Programs: UA GS/2MM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Want to go sailing?

Heya, so I haven't really been very involved in the FT community to date, but I'm looking forward to participating in this Do. Looks like there's some free time on Saturday 9/15, so I thought I'd see if anyone wanted to do some sailing?

SF Bay is world-class sailing, especially in the summer. Conditions are typically pretty challenging - this is not quite the America's Cup races you've seen on TV, but it's closer to that than cocktail cruising.

I've been sailing for several years, and am a certified skipper. I belong to a charter club (http://www.clubnautique.net/ if you're curious) that maintains a fleet of excellent boats on the bay - all pretty new, all in great shape.

If there's interest, I'd be happy to charter a boat and take out some fellow FTers. We could spend from a few hours to the whole day out - it'd be up to you guys. On a biggish boat (50' or so), I could take 10-12 FTers. It's not as speedy a way to see the bay as by air, but it's usually lots of fun.

I need a few volunteers to pitch in for the actual sailing (working the lines/sails/helm) - experience is not required, but aptitude and interest are. Everyone else can be just along for the ride.

Because it's a charter, the per-person cost would be around $75.

If this interests you, please send me a PM. Let me know your name, your preference for timing (e.g. how early/late would you be comfortable leaving/returning), your sailing experience (if any), and whether you're interested in learning about sailing / pitching in, or would prefer to just enjoy the ride.

Cheers!