FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FHR Codes for Various Hotel Chains
View Single Post
Old Aug 16, 2007, 2:56 pm
BeantownFlyer

I had the opportunity to have a fairly lengthy telephone conversation with an individual at AMEX who told me he is in charge of the FHR program. Although there was not much in the way of positive changes that came out of the conversation, it was helpful to at least be able to speak to someone who was intelligent and clearly knowledgeable about the facts.

Among the things I heard:

-The rates were taken off the Ritz website (and also Starwood and Hilton) at AMEX's request. In fact, I was told that Starwood and Hilton did it right away, but that Ritz resisted and was slow to act on AMEX's request.

-AMEX does not want them out there because: (a) they don't want non-Centurion customers to be able to book those rates; and (b) they don't want competitors to be able to see the rates. [Since it seems to me there are a variety of ways to police the booking situation, it strikes me this is really about b - AMEX does not want its competitors to be able to see the negotiated rates it has with Ritz. Interesting that they would chose to inconvenience their cardmembers for what is a very obscure business risk in my view.]

-AMEX recognizes that they need greater online service - particularly the ability to book travel online. At the same time, there is no development timetable or deadline. [It sounded to me like this continues to be years off.]

-The individual I spoke with was surprised to hear of the complaints we all have expressed in regard to getting accurate information from CTS/PTS in regard to FHR and Centurion rates and amenties. He said he forwarded my original e-mail to the travel folks for further comment. [I emphasized that I thought many of the CTS agents did a great job, but that it struck me that the screens they must be viewing could not have had the same detail as what I could see on the Ritz website - which always resulted in a call to the hotel directly by the CTS agent. This was a typical occurence for Ritz and Mandarin bookings I noted.]

-The individual I spoke with was clearly familiar with flyertalk and had reviewed this thread and others relating to the FHR program.

So the bottom line is that AMEX made a conscious decision here, and has no intention of changing their position. I have to say that what troubles me most about my Centurion membership and relationship with AMEX is that they routinely bungle the opportunities to develop good will and further the relationship where the dollar cost is minimal. I have passed comments on to customer service, to higher ups, been on focus groups, completed surveys, etc., but they just can't seem to get it! It is interesting - this month is my 25 year anniversary as an AMEX cardholder. I haven't even attempted to tally up the volume of business I have given them over those years, but a rough guess is $2 million - $3 million or more. Yet I haven't even received any acknowledgement of my loyalty as a customer, let alone something tangible like a card, token gift, or something of real value (fee waiver?!). I am never quite sure if it is arrogance or ignorance!

Since the individual I spoke with is monitoring this thread, and has seen all the comments, I don't see any purpose in subjecting him to a barrage of e-mails by posting his contact information. Suffice it to say they have apparently heard the complaints and see no reason to change their position. Very disaapointing, to say the least.