FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Has anyone been to Seychelles?
View Single Post
Old Oct 10, 2007, 5:21 am
vuittonsofstyle

Seychelles versus Maldives/Phuket etc

Originally Posted by kmklint
November 2007 edition of Architectural Digest they feature "Maia Luxury Resort & Spa," on the island Mahe. I have to say it looks fabulous. Is this the same resort in the posts above that only get fair reviews?

What is the premier resort for the Seychelles?

Can anyone rate which is best, Seychelles, Maldives, southern thailand(phuket,etc), or french polynesia Bora/bora? This would be based on beauty, top resorts & most exotic? I know this is a silly and subjective question, but the seychelles, maldives and bora/bora all seem to have similar qualities to me. I appreciate your insight.
The service aspects of the Seychelles are no way near as good as Southern Thailand or Maldives. Bora Bora, too, suffers from indifferent service, and frankly, I am disappointed by all the Bora Bora resorts, even the Aman. Food tends to be very poor throughout the island, so although it is dreamy to wake up overlooking an impossibly turquoise lagoon, filled with colourful fish, after a couple of days you find yourself nitpicking about the service and food.

In southern Thailand, especially at Trisara and Amanpuri, everything works wonderfully (although Trisara works better than Amanpuri these days). OK, you do not get the blue lagoons, but everything else is so good that you don't care.

The Maldives has everything, which is why it is such a popular destination now. Private islands mean that safety is not an issue. The lagoons are crystal clear and turquoise blue and the snorkelling/diving is sensational. Service is a dream and food, if you choose wisely, is as good as it gets. Favourites are One&Only Reethi Rah and Four Seasons Landaa Giraavaru.