FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Second Avenue Deli To Re-open
View Single Post
Old Dec 18, 2007, 11:11 pm
Landing Gear

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
First Meal

I am just back from a late night meal at the Second Avenue Deli where I dined alone.

I ordered a pastrami sandwich, extra lean (so I could skip the Lipitor dressing). If ever there were a sandwich worth waiting two years for, this was it. As good as I remembered, if not better.

The service was, sadly, a bit confused, but this was only the second day of operation. I did see a couple of familiar faces in the front of the house but my waiter was new.

The menu has many more choices than before chiefly in what we New Yorkers call the "appetizing" category. Somehow, I suspect I will be able to resist the allure of the herring platter.

Since this is Flyertalk, note that there are two handicapped-accessible restrooms each one with a "Vacant" or "Occupied" indicator on the outside. Instead of paper towels they have one of those new Pratt and Whitney hand driers that could not only blow the leaves from your yard but also strip away the old paint from your fence.

Most of the place looks like the old restaurant with the familiar photographs (and perhaps some new ones) on the walls. I sat with my back to a picture of Rudy. Don't remember him from the old place.

Another addition is the bar. Do Scotch and pastrami go together?

Last edited by Landing Gear; Dec 19, 2007 at 10:22 pm Reason: typo corrected