FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UAL to charge $25 to check second bag for certain customers and other related changes
Old Feb 4, 2008, 7:08 pm
MarkXS

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
Originally Posted by das
Your logic is confusing. You are saying people who pay $75 a day for lift tickets, rent SUVs for $350 a week, or pay $250 a round for golf are going to be steaming mad because United charges them $25 to check-in their equipment?
FYI, lift tickets at the big Summit County resorts (a typical DEN ski destination) are $86/day, with no break this year until you get to a 4-day ticket, including "full Y" at the former discount locations in supermarkets and ski shops. Vail, Beaver Creek, Aspen, etc. are even higher. If they can afford the tickets, they can afford a $25 bag charge.

Originally Posted by swdke
Not good for skiers who have their own skis. 1 bag for skis, and 1 bag for boots and winter clothing. Just another added expense to an already expensive sport.
Rule#1 of ski travel: Always carry on your boots (especially if you've had custom bootwork or footbeds done, which all real skiers should do).
Rule#2: see rule#1
Rule#3: Wrap most of your ski underwear, mid & outer layers around the skis in the ski bag. Stuff your ski socks (other than the ones you stuffed in your carryon boot bag) at the tips and tails. Checked bag #1.
Rule#4: Take one more bag. A rolling duffel works fine for the rest of your ski and non-ski clothing and meets the regular 50lb/23kg allowance.
Rule#5: If you need to also take a camera, computer, etc. your small laptop-type bag is your personal item. Between what you can put in there and what you put in your carry-on boot-bag (including first day's ski clothing - pants, fleece etc.) you have all you need.
Rule#6: Delayed ski bag becomes your opportunity to demo skis you'd like to try, at the airline's expense.

At most, a non-elite ski traveler pays for just 1 bag. Anybody 3P or OAL *S or above pays nothing for their luggage.

Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
How do you do this? I just realized I could check 3 as 1P, and for the same reason I'd like to check all 3 of our bags under my name. But Mr. Chicken only gives the choice of 0, 1, or 2, right?
If you're 1P or above, it gives you an option for 3 in my experience.