FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 10% for Infant Fare on AA??!! (Paid fare)
Old Feb 25, 2008, 7:27 am
jbm3906

Programs: AAdvantage, PLT; BA, Silver; Marriott, Silver; Hyatt, PLT
Originally Posted by AAaLot
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

You could book a coach adult ticket on the internet and sort it out at checkin.

This coach ticket could be in your name or your infants name.

Buyer beware. And if you do this be very very nice at checkin.
I echo the posters above - do NOT try this.

I ran into an issue with this on an AA int'l itinerary over the holidays. We purchased a coach seat for our infant at the same fare as my wife and me intending to upgrade everyone or, if not everyone, having one of us stay with the child wherever we had two seats together. (AA had explained to me that we could not do the standard miles+copay upgrade if we purchased a discounted child fare).

For the outbound flight, there were two seats available for upgrades; AA automatically processed my wife and me, leaving the infant in coach. We called to ask them to switch me with the child, but the computers would not allow that. I asked if this would be a problem at check-in and was told no.

On the ground, however, AA's check-in at CDG would not allow us to check-in the infant. They explained that AA had a policy that infants could not have a boarding pass for a different cabin than the parents. It was no use that we told them we had no intention of leaving the child alone - this was the rule. We ending up having to buy a lap rider ticket for the child in J on the spot, which alone was more than one of our RT tickets plus copay.