FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Coast-to-Island Do May 16-17 (Inflight Do and fun in HNL)!
Old May 12, 2008, 9:56 pm
FlyinHawaiian
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Saturday Happy Hour/Dinner Info

Aloha:

The request for Saturday evening was a location in Waikiki for sunset cocktails and dinner before the flight home. For those interested, I've selected the new RumFire Bar and Grill in the Sheraton Waikiki. I stopped by RumFire last Saturday and think the place is large enough to accomodate us.

In short, RumFire opens to Waikiki Beach and has a panoramic view from Diamond Head all the way to Ewa Beach. There should be a nice view of the sunset a little after 7.

Happy Hour is until 6 p.m. which means ½ off wines by the glass, draft beers and $6 specialty cocktail- on Saturday, the specialty cocktail is RumFire Daquiri. There is also a dinner menu (they specialize in tapas) which you can find on their website; they offer ½ off edamame, onion rings, and pommes frittes during this time. I have their prices for the rest of the menu - looks to be in the $15 - $25 range, on average.

The Sheraton Waikiki is pretty much smack in the center of Waikiki Beach. If you are driving, there is four hours of validated parking. Note - parking can be confusing - DO NOT park in the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center parking garage, which is to your immediate right when you enter on Royal Hawaiian Drive. Instead go straight into the Sheraton parking structure.

RumFire is on the ground level; just enter the Sheraton and walk toward the beach.

Shall we say meet around 5 p.m.-ish? There will be no reservations, so first come first seated. If you want to get there early and get a head start on Happy Hour, they open at 4. Sit on the right side of the bar for sunset views; perhaps those arriving early could help hold some seats/tables?

We should hit the road after sunset to make our flight.

As an alternative, next door to the Sheraton is the Halekulani and their House Without a Key bar, with live Hawaiian Music and former Miss Hawai`i Kanoe Miller dancing hula. Mai Tais were $10 and bottled beer $6.50. It's a little more laid back and slightly more expensive than RumFire. Other alternatives are Moose McGillicuddy's on Lewers (not on the beach), the Mai Tai Bar at the Royal Hawaiian, and Dukes. See this thread for more options: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=702385

Everyone will be on their own on getting to HNL to make the flight. It should be easy enough to get cabs from the Sheraton; if there are enough of us, we can see about a private van or something.

Please let me know if there are any questions.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 13, 2008 at 8:57 am