Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Capella Castlemartyr, Ireland - an unmitigated disaster!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Capella Castlemartyr, Ireland - an unmitigated disaster!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2008, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

in response to the suggestions of "discrimination" (etc) against new members and ireland.

1. see the 2 comments by JM2008 i bolded. they consitute ad hominem attacks against Raffles. (who has been a regular here quite some time.) i "dont think its fair" that people are defending that kind of behavior. especially from someone who joined solely to call Raffles names and basically call Raffles a liar, rather than saying they disagree/had a different experience/etc, especially without providing much explanation at all.

more information that supports Raffles (not that they need it) >
Originally Posted by Pauldublin
...I havent been to Capella Castlemartyr as that part of the country does not excite me but I recommended it to a friend on the back of the great GG review. My friends were disappointed with their stay. Poor service and so so restaurant.
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I just heard that Capella's first hotel, Schloss Velden in Austria, is also having problems. A friend of mine just stayed there and told of similar horror stories, whereas when the hotel first opened, it was a gem.

Could it be that Capella are bringing in an opening team for a few months, then basically pulling the plug and moving on to the next new opening...
IMHO the evidence supports my implication that JM2008 works for capella. regardless of that, their behavior is still ridiculous.

Originally Posted by Earthman
I love the anti Ireland stuff in this thread
see this >

Originally Posted by paul_ng5
...THE €250m Ritz Carlton hotel has confirmed it needs to cut jobs because of slumping sales targets in the latest sign that no one is safe from the Irish recession...has began to slash its prices.
(his recent RC trip report was terrible as well.)

and this >

Originally Posted by Raffles
...Castlemartyr...currently advertising in the Irish Times at Euro 180 with breakfast, 1 dinner (on a 2 night stay) AND a round of golf thrown in.
and from a resident >
Originally Posted by Pauldublin
On the broader issue of hotels in Ireland, they are having difficulties finding staff (or competent staff ) even at their "high minimum wage". Visitors from the U.S. are down...

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 10, 2008 at 4:54 am
Old Aug 9, 2008, 9:26 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
This thread is about the Castlemartyr hotel. Flyertalk is about points and miles.

To all of you: please stay on topic and stay away from comments on other members. Such comments are not welcome in our forum.

So please: back on topic.

ralfkrippner, forum co-moderator
Old Aug 9, 2008, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

this thread (and RC thread) also discussed service problems in ireland (as reflected at the capella and RC resorts) due to a "recession" according to the article referenced by paul_ng5.

additionally, a potential systemic problem with capella - that they open strong, perhaps with a single team, and then move that team on to the next property when it is opening. now DUS is the property to watch.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 9, 2008 at 12:38 pm
Old Aug 9, 2008, 3:38 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
JM2008

i wonder what the chances are that a WHOIS of that IP will reveal a capella registration...
Kagehitokiri

was absolutely correct. ^
Obscure2k
Luxury Hotels
Old Aug 9, 2008, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by obscure2k
Kagehitokiri

Obscure2k
Luxury Hotels
Just to confirm to those of us who are less tech knowlegeable.
Are you saying the ip for that post is capella related ?
Old Aug 9, 2008, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

yes. apparently [the IP address] was registered to capella's parent company.

nice work from the mods clearing that up. ^

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 9, 2008 at 10:17 pm
Old Aug 9, 2008, 9:43 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
yes. apparently it was registered to capella's parent company.

nice work from the mods clearing that up. ^
Three bonus points to you from me!
Old Aug 9, 2008, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
This Castlemartyr place sounds pretty crappy, gives the name a new meaning. Personally, I'd rather stay at "Castleanthrax"

Last edited by obscure2k; Aug 10, 2008 at 9:32 am Reason: Removed You Tube URL
Old Aug 10, 2008, 2:43 am

Programs: BA Gold
Right.
As it's not far down the road from me,I've decided to give this hotel/Resort a try.
Everywhere needs a second opinion.
It will probably be sometime in the next few weeks and I'll post my experiences here
Old Aug 10, 2008, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Right.
As it's not far down the road from me,I've decided to give this hotel/Resort a try.
Everywhere needs a second opinion.
It will probably be sometime in the next few weeks and I'll post my experiences here
If you booked the Irish Times Euro 180 / night offer (breakfast, dinner, golf included) you'll get a fantastic deal. Quite frankly, for that price, its outstanding, however poor the service may be.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
If you booked the Irish Times Euro 180 / night offer (breakfast, dinner, golf included) you'll get a fantastic deal. Quite frankly, for that price, its outstanding, however poor the service may be.
But doesn't the existence of an E180 rate including all those meals and golf, even as a limited time offer, tell you that the place isn't intending to play in the luxury hotel league (except maybe in Kuala Lumpur)?
Old Aug 10, 2008, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
But doesn't the existence of an E180 rate including all those meals and golf, even as a limited time offer, tell you that the place isn't intending to play in the luxury hotel league (except maybe in Kuala Lumpur)?
That might be true if the hotel was located in say London or New York or somewhere similar.
It is in fact located in the middle of nowhere beside a small village.
That kind of rate is on a par with the likes of Ashford Castle or adare Manor or Hayfield manor in Cork City.

I've seen some rates pitched at about 240 a night at the four seasons in Dublin.The market prices at what the market will bear.
Some Dublin hotels not in the four seasons league but with a bare 5 star status such as the Westin or the Shelbourne or the Westbury are often full at those kind of rates.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 2:34 pm

That might be true if the hotel was located in say London or New York or somewhere similar.
It is in fact located in the middle of nowhere beside a small village.
That kind of rate is on a par with the likes of Ashford Castle or adare Manor or Hayfield manor in Cork City.

I've seen some rates pitched at about 240 a night at the four seasons in Dublin.The market prices at what the market will bear.
Some Dublin hotels not in the four seasons league but with a bare 5 star status such as the Westin or the Shelbourne or the Westbury are often full at those kind of rates.
Including breakfast, dinner, and a round of golf for two people? Wow, let me know when you hear about the next offer like that!
Old Aug 10, 2008, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by obscure2k
Kagehitokiri

Obscure2k
Luxury Hotels
Wow. If the hotel's response to Raffles' review is to (a) post a favourable review on a BB pretending to be a customer, and (b) call him a complainer, then the hotel must be seriously bad
Old Aug 10, 2008, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Including breakfast, dinner, and a round of golf for two people? Wow, let me know when you hear about the next offer like that!
I know you'd get that at Ashford castle for about €150 per person or at least I have often.
Originally Posted by Disco Volante
Wow. If the hotel's response to Raffles' review is to (a) post a favourable review on a BB pretending to be a customer, and (b) call him a complainer, then the hotel must be seriously bad
In fairness,An ip search doesn't include a secret web cam shot of who was doing the posting.
If the capella supportive post came from a Capella ip address,it could have been anyone that made it and certainly is not proof that it was on the hotels say so.
To suggest that is a ridiculous over inference to make in my opinion.
It's just as ridiculous,I think, to draw conclusions on a hotel based on that inference.

[Having just seen,the moderators instructions on the matter,I'm editing the rest of my post so as not to directly refer to any particular poster here-my post is meant to be a general comment on how opinions should fairly be formed in my opinion-though to make my point I've left in the reference above as that is the point ].

Last edited by Earthman; Aug 10, 2008 at 5:43 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.