Community
Wiki Posts
Search

False advertising problem

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2008, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Platinum
I am rather intrigued at these responses. It really never occurred to me to check that the car was as represented. When the jump seat is folded down, it looks just like a regular luggage area. I really can't imagine going through a car every time I rent it to be sure there isn't some hidden problem or defect.

And, in my view, spending 1-2 hours out of my vacation to fix Hertz's mistake is quite unreasonable. I have very little vacation time each year and was spending a substantial amount of money to put up a group of family members at the hotel, to pay for theme park tickets, etc., so those 1-2 hours are expensive both in terms of my lost vacation time and the actual cash outlay for the vacation.

I also find it amazing that other consumers would think that some small print about "car capacity varying" should override a specific promise that the vehicle seats 7. I certainly never saw such a thing and can't imagine patronizing a company with such a policy. How on earth is one to plan a trip if you can't rely on the car transporting the promised number of people?

In any event, as one poster above suggests, I don't think I will ever rent a car at DW again. Taking cabs was fine when we were in a rush and the bus system was fine other times. And the responses above have convinced me (as I would have upon calm reflection) that it's not worth pursuing a small claims matter. But I find Hertz's response entirely unacceptable after 15+ years of patronage without ever complaining before. I will send one more letter to the CEO and, if I don't get a good response, I will just take my future business elsewhere. The free market in action.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 7:47 am

Programs: DELTA PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, etc.
I guess that means that you did not bring the issue to Hertz's attention at all until days after the rental ended.

That's equivalent to eating a full meal, paying the check, and sending the restaurant a letter a week later saying you didn't like the meal and want a refund. No dice.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 10:46 am

Programs: AMEX PLT, AA PPro, Spire AMB
Apparently with the new Highlanders, there are 4, 5 and 7 seat versions. I was told I was being upgraded to a 5 and on my way to Yosemite I found out there was no middle seat.

So we're halfway to Yosemite, pick up my friends and we dont fit, they ended up driving another car...and no i could not go to an HLE and switch to a sedan because that wouldn't solve the luggage problem.

He gave me $50 my already very discounted rated and cut out the FPO and guaranteed me a prestige collection car when I see him next time...it wasnt so bad but 2 cars driving up there is tiring for one more person and basically 140 bucks worth of extra gas.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by patchan8984
...So we're halfway to Yosemite, pick up my friends and we dont fit, they ended up driving another car...and no i could not go to an HLE and switch to a sedan because that wouldn't solve the luggage problem....
Your situation is different. The OP had a Hertz office about 1 mile outside of Walt Disney World. They also didn't appear to complain to Hertz until after the fact and expects compensation, even though they did not make any effort at all when it would have been a simple fix. Hertz might have even driven a new car over for a swap.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MikeBU
I guess that means that you did not bring the issue to Hertz's attention at all until days after the rental ended.

That's equivalent to eating a full meal, paying the check, and sending the restaurant a letter a week later saying you didn't like the meal and want a refund. No dice.
This is a great metaphor but wouldn't be it more like ordering steak, receiving chicken, eating the chicken to avoid the hassle of sending the meal back and then being charged for steak?
Old Aug 28, 2008, 9:02 pm

Programs: DELTA PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, etc.
Originally Posted by sfolawyer
This is a great metaphor but wouldn't be it more like ordering steak, receiving chicken, eating the chicken to avoid the hassle of sending the meal back and then being charged for steak?
That's part of it, but you have to keep it going - also paying for the steak and leaving the restaurant without saying a word, then writing a letter a week later stating that you want your bill adjusted because you ordered steak, and oh-by-the-way if you value me you'll comp me the whole meal.

You wouldn't leave the restaurant without saying something to the waiter (and letting the restaurant offer to make things right); you can't return the car without saying something to Hertz and letting them offer to make it right.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Well, I did raise it when I returned the car and was offered $50, which seemed inadequate. I figured from the outset that a situation like this would have to be resolved by writing to management so this wasn't an important part of the story for me.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by sfolawyer
Well, I did raise it when I returned the car and was offered $50, which seemed inadequate. I figured from the outset that a situation like this would have to be resolved by writing to management so this wasn't an important part of the story for me.
Hertz is probably thinking that if a customer waited until the end of the rental to complain, then the car probably met their needs, at least partially.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 11:48 am

Ugghhhh

I work for Hertz. Do you want an explaination?

When you book, you have to realize that every auto manufacturer has several different kinds of vehicles. If you book a S.U.V., and need 7 passengers, then you should stop assuming everything is going to be peaches and cream and CALL HERTZ'S 800-NUMBER. The booking agent will put in the notes the kind of vehicle you need via cruise control, 7 SEATS, sunroof etc.

The class for a S.U.V. is the L class. The L class can have 5 OR 7 seats. It is not the rental companies responsibility to read your mind on what you will be doing on your trip.

This snot- nose yuppie lawyer better take it easy with his jibberish 'I'm gonna sue" dumb ... and get smart.

Geeeeeees.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ih8complainers
This snot- nose yuppie lawyer better take it easy with his jibberish 'I'm gonna sue" dumb ... and get smart.

Geeeeeees.
I realize cleaning the cars is tough, but stick it out. With an attitude like yours, you're sure to make check-in guy one day...although, I'd be suprised if you make manager...and if you do, I'd be suprised if you don't lose your job in a matter of weeks.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by bhatnasx
I realize cleaning the cars is tough, but stick it out. With an attitude like yours, you're sure to make check-in guy one day...although, I'd be suprised if you make manager...and if you do, I'd be suprised if you don't lose your job in a matter of weeks.

Thanks for "trying" to guess what I do dumb a$$ but if you should know I am a area manager for Hertz. That includes company car with gas completely covered. With that no car insurance on my behalf as well as other vehicle needed maintenance. Worked for Hertz going on 9 years this October.

Any other assumptions? You must be a typical customer. Think you know it all. When nothing goes your way when you rent a car, you start blaming everything around you. Do us all a favor and rent from ACE rental. See how much happier you will be...
Old Sep 1, 2008, 9:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Thanks for "trying" to guess what I do dumb a$$ but if you should know I am a area manager for Hertz. That includes company car with gas completely covered. With that no car insurance on my behalf as well as other vehicle needed maintenance. Worked for Hertz going on 9 years this October.

Any other assumptions? You must be a typical customer. Think you know it all. When nothing goes your way when you rent a car, you start blaming everything around you. Do us all a favor and rent from ACE rental. See how much happier you will be...
Attitude like that is why we don't rent from Hertz... I've driven my own car less than 30 days so far this year...the rest is rental cars - none of it from Hertz!
Old Sep 1, 2008, 9:27 pm

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent

Umm....welcome to FT.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Apparently, one doesn't recognize sarcasm when it hits one in the face.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by bzbdewd
Attitude like that is why we don't rent from Hertz... I've driven my own car less than 30 days so far this year...the rest is rental cars - none of it from Hertz!
Doesn't hurt me one bit. Every rental car company has flaws. My cousins fiance is a location manager for a Enterprise. Him and I constantly talk about the business. Unfortunately for him He was fired because some crazy customer didn't like the fact that the car he was about to rent was not the car he saw on the website. He rented a full size. So Enterprises website like all other car rental companies websites says: "Chevy Impala or similiar." He was offered a Toyota Camry. The customer who by the way was a known drug dealer and gang "activist" went around the counter in a rage and tried to punch my cousins fiance who then dodged the punch and in return grabbed the stapler from the counter and bashed this punk in his head. There were in total of 7 witnesses who had the same exact story. My friend lost his job because of his self defense. Maybe he should have just taken the beating? The point is when we tell customers "OR SIMILIAR" how is that false advertising? Most customers are not able to understand that in the car rental world we face many obstacles that are unforseen circumstances. The website shows an example following a statement that tells customers a similiar vehicle. In the real world, meaning while I'm not blogging in forums, I run a very smooth operation in my area. Our staffing is perfect as well as our customer service surveys (currently at a 87.7% customer satifaction) Our area is very profitable for the year almost double than last year. I apologize for coming off as a jerk. Just a way to vent about the customers that seem to break spirits in the rental world.

If you are renting elsewhere, thats fine. I still have my home, job and company car. The way the economy is going right now, I applaud you for still renting.

cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.