New Proposal for TalkBoard Guidelines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Proposal for TalkBoard Guidelines

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2008, 2:16 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk

I'd suggest that you drop exclusive terms and names so that the document can live on for many years. As well, big deal that I founded it and the concept of TalkBoard, I'm happy to see your work and the work of our other members rather than my name in lights.

Toward that end, here's what you have:
"FlyerTalk is an internet bulletin board owned and operated by Internet Brands. Its designated representative, currently FlyerTalk founder Randy Petersen, is responsible for the day-to-day management and is referred to in this document as ‘the FlyerTalk Host.’

FlyerTalk’s purpose is to bring together frequent flyers and users of other travel-related frequency programs as well as people with an interest in those programs to discuss loyalty programs, travel and travel-related issues.

In an effort to provide maximum poster input into the content and organization of FlyerTalk, Randy Petersen created the TalkBoard and empowered it to make recommendations with regard to the management, organization and content of FlyerTalk. The TalkBoard exists at the pleasure of Randy and neither he nor any other entity is required to accept the recommendations of the TalkBoard. "

Here's what I'd suggest:
"FlyerTalk’s purpose is to bring together frequent flyers and members of other travel-related loyalty programs in a common interest to discuss miles & points, travel and travel-related issues.

In an effort to provide maximum member input into the content and organization of FlyerTalk, a member-elected Board (TalkBoard) was created and empowered with the task of making recommendations with regard to the management, organization and content of FlyerTalk. These recommendations, while just recommendations to the Host* of FlyerTalk, serve as an important foundation for the structure and growth of FlyerTalk.

*The "Host" refers to the designate of responsibility for the day-to-day operations of FlyerTalk by its owners"
Old Oct 16, 2008, 2:21 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Koko, I salute you for your hard work on the last version as well as on the current. And I appreciate you moving it forward with the current Talkboard who is well versed on the document. Thank you for your hard work.
As much as I'd like to take credit and/or blame for the thing, whether they still want something like this to be approved or not , it truly is a document that was the result of the efforts of, imho:

- jenbel, bhatnasx, luckycoins, punki, gleff, spiff, techgirl, and cholula who have been working on guidelines since this Spring. And it was hard work for each and every one of us, I assure you

- scoow, dovster, nickb, cluebyfour, attorney28, RichMSN, studentff, nsx, skiadcock, wharvey, bizibb, bdjohns1, hhoope01, haubd, lin821, ozstamps, smaug, masonp123, cameraguy, essxjay, tcook052, Kiwi Flyer, sandiego1k, obscure2k, landing gear, elmhurstnick, magiciansampras, Moderator2 AND every other FlyerTalker who took the time to read, improve and/or comment on the guidelines' development (sorry if I missed some names there that should be obvious to me! )

- all the previous TalkBoard members who set the current precedents and procedures

- the current and previous TalkBoard Presidents and Vice President/Secretaries who tracked the precedents and procedures in various places over the years

- and, of course, Randy.

All I did was try to put all the current information, precedents, procedures and consensus changes in one document.

Last edited by kokonutz; Oct 16, 2008 at 3:04 pm
Old Oct 16, 2008, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Randy Petersen
I'd suggest that you drop exclusive terms and names so that the document can live on for many years. As well, big deal that I founded it and the concept of TalkBoard, I'm happy to see your work and the work of our other members rather than my name in lights.

Toward that end, here's what you have:
"FlyerTalk is an internet bulletin board owned and operated by Internet Brands. Its designated representative, currently FlyerTalk founder Randy Petersen, is responsible for the day-to-day management and is referred to in this document as ‘the FlyerTalk Host.’

FlyerTalk’s purpose is to bring together frequent flyers and users of other travel-related frequency programs as well as people with an interest in those programs to discuss loyalty programs, travel and travel-related issues.

In an effort to provide maximum poster input into the content and organization of FlyerTalk, Randy Petersen created the TalkBoard and empowered it to make recommendations with regard to the management, organization and content of FlyerTalk. The TalkBoard exists at the pleasure of Randy and neither he nor any other entity is required to accept the recommendations of the TalkBoard. "

Here's what I'd suggest:
"FlyerTalk’s purpose is to bring together frequent flyers and members of other travel-related loyalty programs in a common interest to discuss miles & points, travel and travel-related issues.

In an effort to provide maximum member input into the content and organization of FlyerTalk, a member-elected Board (TalkBoard) was created and empowered with the task of making recommendations with regard to the management, organization and content of FlyerTalk. These recommendations, while just recommendations to the Host* of FlyerTalk, serve as an important foundation for the structure and growth of FlyerTalk.

*The "Host" refers to the designate of responsibility for the day-to-day operations of FlyerTalk by its owners"
Randy, as ever, your humility is...well...humbling.

Although I feel like I should put up more of a fight, I'm happy to include your suggested change.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 4:17 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Section 3.G.i still refers to the "Administrator". You may want to change that to "FlyerTalk Host"

And as others have already said, good job with this. A lot of work has been done and it is appreciated. ^
Old Oct 16, 2008, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Section 3.G.i still refers to the "Administrator". You may want to change that to "FlyerTalk Host"
Great catch. Thanks!
Old Oct 16, 2008, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Campaign Guideline on Social Group & Other Features...

Originally Posted by kokonutz
I'm going to start sounding like a skipping CD (having shelved the 'broken record analogy ) at this point, but changes to the status quo that are NOT in here that you would like to see, I'd say that's a topic for another day/separate effort.
Thank you, koko, for putting together another draft so fast.

I haven't quite finished reading this draft yet. I do have a quick thought on TB campaigning (Section 3.B.i.c).

Not to force you to play your skipping CD (), I know this is only the paper version of status quo. However, in early September, FT was upgraded, which gives us the new social group feature among others. I am not too into the social networking thingy so I have no idea how well (or bad) it can play out during "election/campaign" season. But I believe it's well utilized for any modern campaign. Since our status quo is the pre-social-group era, it only covers (mass) email & PM. Nothing social group-wise was ever mentioned as a guideline.

Would it be possible to add the social group thingy, where it's deemed fit, to this draft? Or do you think we should wait till the second round with other "potential controversies?"

Like I said, I haven't finished reading it. I am not sure if other newly added/enabled features should be addressed in the new guidelines as well, especially FTers are still fuzzy about what are new .

Social group is the one that stands out at this point.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Seems like a great effort, for a concensus set of sensible road rules kokonutz. ^

Glen
Old Oct 16, 2008, 10:11 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by tcook052
I'm of the opinion that suspended means suspended from everything and that losing your FT privileges means losing all your FT privileges, TB membership notwithstanding. Given that FTers who are not in good standing, i.e. suspended, cannot vote for TB members why then should suspended TB members be treated differently?
+1 Well said.

They shouldn't be treated differently if they're "members first," imo.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 1:47 am

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
In the absence of an automatic removal (pending an upheld suspension by the host), this is weak and coddles the political nature of the TB. I am disappointed, but not surprised.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lin821
Thank you, koko, for putting together another draft so fast.

I haven't quite finished reading this draft yet. I do have a quick thought on TB campaigning (Section 3.B.i.c).

Not to force you to play your skipping CD (), I know this is only the paper version of status quo. However, in early September, FT was upgraded, which gives us the new social group feature among others. I am not too into the social networking thingy so I have no idea how well (or bad) it can play out during "election/campaign" season. But I believe it's well utilized for any modern campaign. Since our status quo is the pre-social-group era, it only covers (mass) email & PM. Nothing social group-wise was ever mentioned as a guideline.

Would it be possible to add the social group thingy, where it's deemed fit, to this draft? Or do you think we should wait till the second round with other "potential controversies?"

Like I said, I haven't finished reading it. I am not sure if other newly added/enabled features should be addressed in the new guidelines as well, especially FTers are still fuzzy about what are new .

Social group is the one that stands out at this point.
That's a pretty good point so I threw in the phrase 'Social Networking' under the 'do not abuse during an election' section. Seems like a perfectly natural outgrowth of the existing ban on abuse of email or PM.

I also made a bunch of technical corrections (capitalizations, periods, alignment) that sccow noticed.

Thanks again for all the input and edits.

Keep 'em coming!
Old Oct 17, 2008, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by ClueByFour
In the absence of an automatic removal (pending an upheld suspension by the host), this is weak and coddles the political nature of the TB. I am disappointed, but not surprised.
Hasn't this horse been beaten, voted down, and buried?
Old Oct 17, 2008, 9:05 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by ozstamps
Seems like a great effort, for a concensus set of sensible road rules kokonutz.
A consensus proposal would have included a removal clause emphasizing Randy's central role. What we see here is reminiscent of fights in Congress, with one side wanting X and the other side not wanting X. Passing a "clean bill" containing only Y is not a compromise. It's a win for the side not wanting X.

If I were on TB, I'd vote against this just as I would have voted against the last one, for the same reason: it's not a consensus proposal. C'mon people, this isn't really that hard if you really want to come to agreement. And if you'd rather ramrod something through than develop a consensus proposal, you're moving TB further toward being just another cesspool of politics.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nsx
A consensus proposal would have included a removal clause emphasizing Randy's central role. What we see here is reminiscent of fights in Congress, with one side wanting X and the other side not wanting X. Passing a "clean bill" containing only Y is not a compromise. It's a win for the side not wanting X.

If I were on TB, I'd vote against this just as I would have voted against the last one, for the same reason: it's not a consensus proposal. C'mon people, this isn't really that hard if you really want to come to agreement. And if you'd rather ramrod something through than develop a consensus proposal, you're moving TB further toward being just another cesspool of politics.
Again, all I am trying to do is get down on paper the way things actually operate today plus a few additions that have consensus support.

Even if you don't like the way things operate today, what's wrong with writing them down so everyone knows how the TB operates today.

For example, we have a new TB member as of yesterday. Isn't it a VERY good thing that berlinflyer can now look at this document and understand what his responsibilities and obligations are!?

When I was elected to TB I had to figure it out by trial and error and that was a very frustrating process for me and for the continuing TB members. I had to be smacked down several times as I bumped up against TB rules and procedures that I didn't even know existed! That's how I got the bright idea to get this project rolling in the first place.

I'm happy to continue debating over the contentious questions of how and when and by whom an elected TB member ought to be removed, but that's another debate for another day.

The purpose of this proposal is to write down the precedents and procedures as they exist today...so that they are written down. It's not the END of the process. It's a BEGINNING.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Well, some of us had high hopes of passing the last set of guidelines which WAS a consensus proposal. We agreed back at the working session in Phoenix in April that we would form that document through straw polls on controversial issues and that we would all support that document even if it had small things that we personally disagreed with but the majority supported.

The majority vote on the straw polls on each issue is what went into the version that was put up for vote last month. And then some of the TalkBoard members decided to go against their original word to support the document drafted based on the original straw polls.

Some of us are trying to get a compromise document together but one of the opponents of that process now wants to push through a completely different set of guidelines instead - why, I am not entirely certain.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 10:40 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by kokonutz
I'm happy to continue debating over the contentious questions of how and when and by whom an elected TB member ought to be removed, but that's another debate for another day.
I believe that the contentious issues should be tackled first, with the resolution being approved unanimously or very nearly so. Then deal with the easy stuff AFTER everyone has learned how to cooperate. The result will be a more harmonious TB.

It's what our parents taught us: eat your vegetables first and the dessert last. I know that politicians don't operate that way, but IMHO TB members should not act like politicians.

The only reason not to do the hard part first is if you believe it's impossible, or if you want to drag your feet and not do it at all. If you want to admit to either of these, I will understand your position.

Other TB members might reasonably conclude that it's the latter, based on your firm opposition to any suspension provision. Don't be surprised if other TB members do not wish to cooperate with what they could reasonably believe to be a delaying tactic.

Timing matters. Do the hard part first, not last. You'll come out ahead in the long run, and so will the TB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.