Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Xmas eve/day dinning option in London

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2008, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Xmas eve/day dinning option in London

Going to be at Sheraton Park Lane 12/24-12/26. Any recommendation on close by restaurants that may be open for xmas eve+day? It's our first time in London, and we are are adventurous eaters so no need to recommend "American-safe" spots (i.e. I really wanted go to St John's in fact but they will be closed 12/23-1/3)
Old Nov 21, 2008, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Lots of the middle eastern places open on Christmas Day, especially those near Marble Arch which is close to you. Might not be your thing, though.

Obviously all of the Park Lane hotel restaurants will be open. Might be worth trying Galvin at the Hilton (top floor, amazing views) or something at the Grosvenor House or Dorchester. (Four Seasons is closed for refurb.) You could also see if Theo Randall at the Intercontinental is open.

Time Out magazine often does a feature nearer Christmas on places open on Christmas Day .... you may want to keep an eye on their website.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by fenger
Going to be at Sheraton Park Lane 12/24-12/26. Any recommendation on close by restaurants that may be open for xmas eve+day? It's our first time in London, and we are are adventurous eaters so no need to recommend "American-safe" spots (i.e. I really wanted go to St John's in fact but they will be closed 12/23-1/3)
Be aware that the whole London transport system shuts down on 25/26 of December. And taxis are usually in high demand because they are the only way to get around. So I would suggest whatever you do try and get something within walking distance of your hotel.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 5:46 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by bensyd
Be aware that the whole London transport system shuts down on 25/26 of December. And taxis are usually in high demand because they are the only way to get around. So I would suggest whatever you do try and get something within walking distance of your hotel.
London Tubes and busses are running - albeit at a reduced capacity - on Boxing Day (26 December). It's a Sunday service.

It's only on Christmas day that they literally shut down all day. Walking the streets on the evening of Christmas day, actually, is quite cool. It's like London in a movie set - all of the buildings are there, but there's not a soul on the road. At least in my area.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 8:14 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I remember having dinner on Boxing Day at the
Wolseley (very near where you're staying) a few years ago--they might even be open on Christmas. Though the food's not wonderful, it's more than decent, and the atmosphere's great.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by ajax
London Tubes and busses are running - albeit at a reduced capacity - on Boxing Day (26 December). It's a Sunday service.
Your absolutely correct! I have never actually had Christmas in London I usually try and get out .
Old Nov 21, 2008, 9:13 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by bensyd
Your absolutely correct! I have never actually had Christmas in London I usually try and get out .
I don't blame you in the slightest!

To the OP: pay no mind to us, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 9:54 am

Programs: CO Gold Elite, BA Blue, for the moment - Hyatt Gold Passport, Priority Club, Marriott etc etc
I enjoyed a fantastic Indian lunch on Christmas day at Veeraswamy a few years ago... they are open for Christmas lunch but not dinner. Christmas crackers and other little treats made the lunch extra special. It's just off Regent Street not far north of Piccadilly Circus, so it's definitely walkable. After a nice big lunch we really enjoyed a very quiet walk through St. James's Park. Christmas in London is fantastic, but bring walking shoes!
Old Dec 4, 2008, 4:03 pm
dlf

Programs: AA Plat 3MM, DL PLT, Mrt Plat, IC Amb Gld. Hil Gld,Hy Gld, AS MVP Gld
CHOICES

Actually, finding something open on Xmas Eve is not difficult, as there are plenty of options in Kensington, Mayfair, Soho, Covent Garden areas....depends on your inclination/interest in walking. If it's cold and not raining, it's a great way to finish the evening. As for Xmas Day dinner, you'd better get on the computer and make some reservations now. You've got a couple of options for finding a table: either go to opentable.com, or go to the Brit version, primetimetables.com. Either will show you what tables are open and at what times. Plus, you'll either get a link to the menu/restaurant, or more info. Be careful to check and be sure that the restaurant you select isn't offering a special, fixed price menu that evening.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by dlf
As for Xmas Day dinner, you'd better get on the computer and make some reservations now. You've got a couple of options for finding a table: either go to opentable.com, or go to the Brit version, primetimetables.com. Either will show you what tables are open and at what times. Plus, you'll either get a link to the menu/restaurant, or more info. Be careful to check and be sure that the restaurant you select isn't offering a special, fixed price menu that evening.
You're saying "evening"... traditionally Christmas Dinner is served in the middle of the day, and while things may be different in London out here in the provinces many if not most restaurants are closed in the evening on Christmas Day.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 10:44 pm

Friends, we are on our first London tour and have been to many good attractions in London. We are looking for some great places to hang out especially to enjoy London night life. Please also suggest few great restaurants in Central London area.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 11:58 am

Programs: BA
My only point to add is do make sure that you have your place lined up in advance, rather than walking the streets, as you will find the majority of places closed on Christmas day. Those that are available, including the restaurants in major hotels, have often taken reservations long in advance from those who don't want to do the cooking on the day themselves. Traditionally this involves an over-long "dinner" at lunchtime, probably spanning from 12 noon to around 4 pm, something of a houseparty atmosphere, and the bulk of the diners going for the "traditional" style of food. Think Thanksgiving in the USA. There is normally special and very expensive pricing compared to the normal menu. It is very unusual for places to be open in the evening after all this.

The stretch north from Marble Arch along Edgware Road, which has many Middle Eastern restaurants, is a good idea, they are one of the few places you can expect something to be open. I have to say that Hummus and Pitta Bread is, however, not many British people's idea of dinner on Christmas Day !

If even mildly religious, you might like to go to the Christmas Eve midnight service at Westminster Abbey (walkable from your place) or one of the other major churches. Get there by about 11 pm, they do actually get full up. Finishes about 1 am. Then walk back through the quietest streets you will ever experience in London. Oh, and hope it's snowing !
Old Dec 7, 2010, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
We were stuck several years ago with no reservations having just arrived xmas day (party of 7) and were staying around hyde park corner. The Hard Rock Cafe took pity on us and squeezed us in, and even they had a special menu, pricey and closed early, but it worked and we still laugh about that dinner. boxing day is only marginally better. One option for that day is sofra a multi location turkish restaurant that is is shepherd's market or st christopher's place. Its not expensive and food is good.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HH Diamond, peasant elsewhere
Originally Posted by ajax
Just a heads up: Tube drivers are planning to strike on Boxing Day, could be just a threat (as is often the case), but be prepared, check the news when you get over there for details.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/850676-b...aceful-lu-says
Old Dec 19, 2010, 5:13 am

I noticed a couple of years ago that the Aberdeen Angus Steak House restaurants seemed to be open on Christmas Day (not that I'd recommend anyone eat there, ever). I also wonder whether you might have some success in Chinatown. From a quick glance down the OpenTable restaurants with availability at lunch on the 25th, the OP might want to consider The Only Running Footman in Mayfair - although I've not eaten there myself at the 3 course Christmas menu at £65 a head seems ambitiously priced... OpenTable is taking reservations at Joe Allen although the restaurant's own website booking engine suggests it might be closed Christmas Day and Boxing Day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.