Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Difficulties booking the lowest rate shown on SPG.com (Phantom Rates)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: Difficulties booking the lowest rate shown on SPG.com (Phantom Rates)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2008, 3:12 pm

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Question

may be someone can help me to.

I wanted to book a three day stay for two persons at the 4 pts Dornbirn.

check in 19.12.2008
check out 22.12.2008

cheapest rate should be 85,00 € per night

cheapest bookable rate is 135,00 €.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 3:57 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by Forstbetrieb
I wanted to book a three day stay for two persons at the 4 pts Dornbirn.
I'm almost certain that the 85 € rate is for 1 person. I don't see any way to book it through spg.com for these dates, other than with a SET code. Do you qualify for Auto Club or Senior rates? They are less expensive though I'm not sure if they'd include breakfast.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 5:16 pm

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Unhappy

I have also checked the rate for one person and it was 110,00 €.

The lowest AAA / CAA rate is 121.50 € for two. Nobody knows if this will include breakfast or not.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 5:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by Forstbetrieb
I have also checked the rate for one person and it was 110,00 €.
The bad news is you only get €85 for one person, not two.

The good news is you can book €110 for two persons. However (and this is what got me completely confused on pages 1-3 of this thread, but then got valuable help from YankeeFlyer), you need to know how to search for this rate.

If you do not specify any bed preference, you do not get the lowest rate. Enter "1 Queen" and you get the lower rates!
Old Nov 8, 2008, 6:16 am

Angry university I am coming again...

I think I have to study bed-ology and spg-ology now for getting the best price...
Old Nov 8, 2008, 6:42 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by timol
If you do not specify any bed preference, you do not get the lowest rate. Enter "1 Queen" and you get the lower rates!
Great catch, timol! This is their smallest room called a "Business Room." There is a little bit of info about each room type on the hotel's independent website.

The more that I look at the pages for this hotel, the more I come to think that Senior and AAA rates also include breakfast (but I still couldn't swear by it). Here's a rate overview of all room types, and that could help if they actively participate in SPG50. Funny thing is that this rate overview also shows that 67% of the rooms in this hotel are "Business" rooms!
Old Nov 9, 2008, 6:12 pm

The Westin Nagoya Castle - From 16,000 yen

I am trying to book the night of May 23 2009 for one person at The Westin Nagoya Castle, Japan.

The "Book Our Best Rate" displays that there are rooms from JPY 16000
per night. When I attempt to book the room, the lowest rate displayed in 26,000 JPY.

Any explanation would be appreciated.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 10:04 am

Missleading Rates From USD XX

I recently found rates on SPG.COM for $34 USD at a hotel nearby. Whenever I pick a date, the rate is always quoted higher when its time to reserve the room. If the rate from USD XX is listed, is there a way to find which dates that room/rate is available?
Old Dec 11, 2008, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
That's been a common complaint. You need to try the various combinations of room type, bed type, etc. that you can choose from - there seems to be no easy way to find the magic combo that gets the rate.

I think that clearing out all of your personal preferences (set to No Preference in your profile) and not putting in any other constraints might make it pop up.

Last edited by CPRich; Dec 11, 2008 at 11:05 am
Old Dec 11, 2008, 11:53 am
Community Director Emerita

Welcome to FlyerTalk, jfirstenberg. I've moved your post into a thread on the topic. It has some tips and tricks on how to find that lowest rate. It really can be a frustrating process. And if you can't find it after trying the various suggestions, post the property and the dates involved. Starwood Lurker and Starwood Lurker II are very help in this and all matters.

And out of curiosity, where did you find a Starwood property for $34? I suspect a lot of us would like to know.

SanDiego1K
Comod, Starwood forum
Old Dec 11, 2008, 2:38 pm

Four Points in Akron, OH.

Somehow my search didn't return this thread. Sorry about that.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 3:24 pm
Community Director Emerita

jfirstenberg, believe me, there's no need to apologize. It took me 15 minutes to find the relevant thread. I consider myself a power searcher AND I created the thread, so knew it existed! I've now added it to the Master Thread list so that it can be more easily found in the future.

That's a stunning deal in Akron, btw - $34. Wow. Have you actually been able to find the rate now? If not, give us dates, and we'll also hunt.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 10:20 am

I picked a couple of differenet weekend in December and January yesterday and never found the $34/night rate. It doesn't matter so much when since I'd stay any night for $34.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 1:34 pm

Programs: marriott platinum, intercontinental diamond
"Best Rate" Not Available

This is not about a failure to match a rate offered by another site. Its about another problem. My apology in advance if this has already been covered.

I enter destination and dates on spg website. Screen comes back listing a hotel I'm interested in and says Book Our Best Rate Rooms from 87 USD per night. I click on Book Now and I get a screen which shows the best rate is $169.15. I try the various options and ultimately do find a Senior Rate of $99 But $87 rate is nowhere to be found. I try calling and the Preferred Guest rep can not find the $87 rate. I end up booking the $99 rate.

What gives? Is this a variant of bait and switch?

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Feb 13, 2009 at 4:56 pm Reason: Moved into FAQ on topic
Old Feb 13, 2009, 1:39 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by avja
What gives?
I don't know, but the more information you provide - such as dates, property name, etc. the easier it is to find help.

Is this a variant of bait and switch?
My apologies for the inconvenience, but no. That is not how Starwood does business. If it was, we would not be in business very long. It is much more likely that either you don't know how to find the rate or something on our end is not working as it should. YMMV.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.