Wiki Posts
Search

Ground Crew Complaints

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2005, 11:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
Ground Crew Complaints

Who is responsible for the ground crew? On every flight this week into Seattle there has been minimum of a 15 - 20 minute delay while we all wait on the plane in front of the gate for the ground crew to arrive. I assume that the airport is responsible and that there is some poor excuse such as a lack of crew members but it really pisses me off and every other person on the plane as well. Eventually the crew saunters over one by one and then it takes another 10 minutes for them to get the jet way to move properly. Any suggestions on getting to the bottom of this?
Old Jan 31, 2005, 12:29 am

Just another obvious symptom of AAG's dismal on-time performance record lately. Anybody want to TANGO?
Old Jan 31, 2005, 2:51 am

Programs: AS MVP, Elevate, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
AS has been threatening to outsource the SEA ramp in the very near future. If I worked there, I think I would be "motivationally challenged" right now. Can't say I've ever had to wait for the gate at SEA, however.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 7:35 am
travelalot5

Originally Posted by westcoastman
Who is responsible for the ground crew? On every flight this week into Seattle there has been minimum of a 15 - 20 minute delay while we all wait on the plane in front of the gate for the ground crew to arrive. I assume that the airport is responsible and that there is some poor excuse such as a lack of crew members but it really pisses me off and every other person on the plane as well. Eventually the crew saunters over one by one and then it takes another 10 minutes for them to get the jet way to move properly. Any suggestions on getting to the bottom of this?
You can always write Alaska Airlines but the real problem is staffing and the way they've been treating employees the last year or so. After 14 hours and no breaks or lunch, "sauntering" might be the best you should expect.

It's not the airport. The jetway is not dependent on ground crew to move it - the agent moves it at the appropriate time.

Paying decent wages and providing reasonable working conditions would solve a lot of problems but that is a different topic.

Old Jan 31, 2005, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by travelalot5
You can always write Alaska Airlines but the real problem is staffing and the way they've been treating employees the last year or so. After 14 hours and no breaks or lunch, "sauntering" might be the best you should expect.

It's not the airport. The jetway is not dependent on ground crew to move it - the agent moves it at the appropriate time.

Paying decent wages and providing reasonable working conditions would solve a lot of problems but that is a different topic.

If the state and federal wage laws and work rules are being violated as you mention above, I would assume numerous complaints have been lodged against AAG with the appropriate agencies? I find it hard to believe the above conditions occur on an ongoing basis. If they do, AAG is in hot water.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 11:20 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by flytoeat
If the state and federal wage laws and work rules are being violated as you mention above, I would assume numerous complaints have been lodged against AAG with the appropriate agencies? I find it hard to believe the above conditions occur on an ongoing basis. If they do, AAG is in hot water.

I am an Alaska employee, and Alaska is very good about getting everyone their lunches, and Ive never heard co workers from the ramp area gripe about not getting the breaks or lunches. I know they do sometimes have to work long hours, but Ive never heard of them not getting breaks that they are entitled to.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 12:09 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by westcoastman

I flew in/out of SEA last April to Orlando and had to wait 20 minutes for the ground crew. I fly out of there in two weeks, so I will update you then.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by wishIwasflyin
I am an Alaska employee, and Alaska is very good about getting everyone their lunches, and Ive never heard co workers from the ramp area gripe about not getting the breaks or lunches. I know they do sometimes have to work long hours, but Ive never heard of them not getting breaks that they are entitled to.
I have to agree. The nature of the job itself is taxing, but I've never hear of anyone being mistreated.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 10:03 pm

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Of all my flights in the past year I can only recall one time at SEA taking a long time for the crew to get the jetway lined up. It was about an 8 minute delay. No big deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.