Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

45 minute connection in CPH; should I change?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2005, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott LT Titanium

Hello everyone-

My wife and I will be flying BGO-CPH-EWR-LAX on SK in August and have a scheduled connection of just 45 min in CPH. The SAS reservation agent stated that this connection time will be fine for the transfer.

I have never been through CPH, so I can only take her word for it; but I am curious if any people who frequently tavel on SK or transit CPH would have an opinion one way or the other.

We do have the option of taking the earlier 6:55am flight BGO-CPH, but this will give us a 3.5 hr layover on an already long day. I am *G UA, so at least we will have access to a lounge I assume.

To make this transit more interesting, we will be bringing along our 3 month old baby as well.

Any thoughts you may have would be appreciated. Thank you in advance for any advice you may share.

Kev LAX
Old Feb 28, 2005, 6:37 pm

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
45 minutes is the minimum connecting time in Copenhagen so it should be fine. SAS is generally a punctual airline with most flight arriving and departing on time from my experience. Only drawback is that if you are unlucky the walking distances can be quite significant in CPH, even though there is only one terminal there are several long piers.
If you do miss the connection most people here would probably agree the transfer personnel in CPH are very helpful and accomodating.

My major concern is if you can really manage the transfer with your infant.
It is one thing to make a short connection when travelling alone with only handbaggage, probably another thing if you have a baby, baggage, and wife...

If you decide to take the earlier flight I must say CPH is one of my absolute favourite airports. About 50+ tax-free shops to cover all your possible shopping needs, lots of nice restaurants and cafes and nice lounge for *G.
With more than 3 hours to spare you even have time for a quick visit to downtown Copenhagen if you wish. The train from the airport to the main central station takes only 12 minutes.
I don't think you should have any problems keeping you entertained for three hours.
Check the airport homepage www.cph.dk
Old Feb 28, 2005, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA*G, SK-EBB, DL-G, IB-Silver Marriott Gold , HHonors Gold, SHG Gold
Originally Posted by kev LAX
Hello everyone-

My wife and I will be flying BGO-CPH-EWR-LAX on SK in August and have a scheduled connection of just 45 min in CPH. The SAS reservation agent stated that this connection time will be fine for the transfer.

Any thoughts you may have would be appreciated. Thank you in advance for any advice you may share.

Kev LAX
The first reply is perfect but....

I was surprised that they put you through EWR (not my favourite airport). If they booked you on the SEA or ORD you could leave later from BGO and enjoy the lounge (one of my favourites *G) with a reasonable connection time. United then allows easy stand-by if there is a earlier possible conection in the US.

These are the 3 recommendations that come up on the SK website timetable for BGO > LAX

SK867 12:00 13:20 Bergen (BGO) Kpenhamn (CPH) 0 18:06
SK937 15:50 16:50 Kpenhamn (CPH) Seattle Wa (SEA) 0
SK8771* 18:30 21:06 Seattle Wa (SEA) Los Angeles Ca (LAX) 0

SK1867 10:15 11:35 Bergen (BGO) Kpenhamn (CPH) 0 18:40
SK925 12:20 15:00 Kpenhamn (CPH) Washington Dc (IAD) 0
SK8751* 17:35 19:55 Washington Dc (IAD) Los Angeles Ca (LAX) 0

SK867 12:00 13:20 Bergen (BGO) Kpenhamn (CPH) 0 19:16
SK943 15:35 17:30 Kpenhamn (CPH) Chicago Il (ORD) 0
SK8755* 19:45 22:16 Chicago Il (ORD) Los Angeles Ca (LAX) 0
Old Mar 1, 2005, 1:40 am

45 min is generally enough - and is a valid connection time at CPH. If you feel more comfortable why not take the earlier flight and spend some time in the *G lounge (one of the better ones around) and/or shops.

However, I would support MADflyer in the SEA connection option - my preferred connection to California. It depends to some extend on which class you will be flying. What we do when flying with our small kids I generally pick the routes that match the small one's sleeping patterns the best.

Remember to book basinet for the small one on SAS (one more reason you want to fly the longest with SAS).
Old Mar 1, 2005, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott LT Titanium
Thumbs up Thank you for your considerate responses.

One note I should have added; this is award travel in business- I had hoped to travel both directions via SEA, but had to yield to the irritating availability factor that determined our routing. There are few airports I enjoy less than EWR- hopefully it has improved since I was last there in '02.

My wife and I are both leaning towards the earlier flight for the following reasons:

-Additional time will probably be best for changing/feeding the baby if needed after the first flight before crossing the Atlantic.

-Not have to worry about any possible flight delays out of BGO or difficulty navigating the terminal to make the connection.

-Experiencing what CPH and the SAS lounge(s) have to offer. This may sound silly, but I appreciate a well designed airport! My wife and I had a three hour layover in SIN and had plenty to do and see in that time. Your recommendations have us intrigued.

A couple other notes; we will be staying in Copenhagen for 4 days on the journey in before traveling to Goteborg for a wedding. We have already requested the bassinet from SAS reservations and were told it would be reserved for us. Thank you for the note. I will be confirming this about a month before the flight.

Lastly, my wife took umbrage with jacob-m's comment: "It is one thing to make a short connection when travelling alone with only handbaggage, probably another thing if you have a baby, baggage, and wife" . She said she was sorry to hear that she was so much trouble for me to travel with and that she would cause us to miss the connection. I chose not to try to explain what Jacob might have meant but simply said that it is different travelling by one's self than when travelling with another person, be it coworker, friend, or wife. She, then grinned at me playfully so I knew she was simply taking the opportunity to have a little fun. Thanks Jacob!

Again, my appreciation to each of you and anyone else who has thoughts to share.

Sincerely,

Kevin

ps- One last question; any idea how early we should arrive at BGO for 0655 flight to CPH connecting internationally? That may be a whole other thread!
Old Mar 1, 2005, 6:53 pm

Family problems and a moody wife is one thing, connection time @ CPH another! The most it has ever taken me is 15-20mins from door to door (D-A). There are no queues when transiting @ CPH.

I am not sure where exactly BGO flight will arrive at but I suspect Terminal "D". Correct me if I am wrong. Your connection to EWR should be from Terminal "C" if I am not mistaken, so realistic connection time is under 10 minutes since "A", "B" and "C", "D" are next to each other.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.