Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NZ/VS RTW ex-LHR - which fare class?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2005, 5:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
NZ/VS RTW ex-LHR - which fare class?

A couple of UK agents are offering the LHR-HKG-AKL/CHC-LAX-LHR for GBP669 inc tax between Sep and Nov (e.g. http://www.travelmood.com/site/hotof...s/NZVS_RTW.asp )

Obviously as a dedicated FT-er, this only makes sense if the NZ segments qualify for *A miles! (...although why I would want to try and keep BD*G is anyone's guess, what with the current shenanigans going on there...) Any idea what fare class this super RTW is in? I know that many of the best NZ web fares are in L, which is a bit useless for mileage accrual

I also notice that availability in the cheap seats isn't great on NZ1/2 in late Nov. Any top tips for getting around this?

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 5, 2005, 7:14 am

Programs: Air NZ Gold Elite, Sheraton Gold.
You can earn Airpoints for flying VS, btw, but as you say, fare class may come in to it.

Of course, acutally flyign VS in economy is pretty horrific if you're on the tall side, and/or like to actually see cabin crew during your flight.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Thanks zonky, and yes VS in Y is horrific, although as a BD*G we still get Clubhouse access in LHR, which might be worth it

So, in answering my own question, the 669 fare currently doing the rounds is N on VS and L on NZ - so a total waste of 14k miles then. There are V class fares following a similar routing, and with greater flexibility (e.g. open jaw AKL/CHC, SFO/LAX) for about GBP150 more...

But that's not nearly as attractive a deal... Unless of course NZ is generous about dishing out the upgr***s to *Gs?! Or have I just been flying too much on UA lately?!
Old Jul 5, 2005, 7:30 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by kt74
But that's not nearly as attractive a deal... Unless of course NZ is generous about dishing out the upgr***s to *Gs?! Or have I just been flying too much on UA lately?!
Sadly, no sign of such behaviour! And I wouldn't expect it anytime soon - NZ are very protective of their premium classes and investing heavily in improving them.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 8:23 am

its all greek to me

i swear this place is like the freemasons, with secret handshakes and strange mutterings

...zonky, and yes VS in Y is horrific, although as a BD*G we still get Clubhouse...
i will try and decipher this site over the next few weeks, but before i do, is this a good flight to get to nzl? i need to go down for a month nov/dec and the only airmile thing i have is for virgin atlantic. feel free to laugh at me now:
Old Jul 5, 2005, 8:37 am

Programs: Air NZ Gold Elite, Sheraton Gold.
Originally Posted by hamhat
i swear this place is like the freemasons, with secret handshakes and strange mutterings

i will try and decipher this site over the next few weeks, but before i do, is this a good flight to get to nzl? i need to go down for a month nov/dec and the only airmile thing i have is for virgin atlantic. feel free to laugh at me now:
If you're going to NZ in Nov-Dec, don't delay; book now. Due to all the London ex-pats, flights fill quickly, and will be expensive.

Virgin flying club members can earn miles on Air NZ; give your membership no at book time.

If you're flying economy and consdiering VS v NZ:

VS seat pitch is 31" versus NZ at 34". NZ should have the refit on NZ1/2 by November.

There are a few specials ex-LHR at http://airnewzealand.co.uk/airfares_...b_specials.htm
Old Jul 5, 2005, 9:00 am

thanks for the heads-up and the tips (esp about leg-room). i was looking at travelmood.com and they seem to have NZ flights for about £615 in november. im taking it that this is a pretty good price, considering quotes ive been seeing? hope the new planes are in service when i fly - last time was horrendous. i couldnt believe they still had projectors for movies?!

thanks again
Old Jul 5, 2005, 10:44 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Welcome to FT hamhat

Air NZ is a partner of Virgin Atlantic, although as pointed out the cheapest economy fares wont earn miles.

...zonky, and yes VS in Y is horrific, although as a BD*G we still get Clubhouse...
Yes there is a lot of jargon and acronyms used here. But dont fear, everyone is very helpful and it doesnt take much to pick it up or have someone explain it to you.

As a starter, a translation of the quote is

Yes Virgin Atlantic (VS) in economy class (Y) is horrific, although having Gold status of BMI's Diamond Club (BD*G) we still get access to Virgin Atlantic's Clubhouse lounge.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Sorry hamhat, and welcome! Will try to respond in English!

I have always found the Travelmood fares to be good from the UK, but it's always worth checking with Trailfinders, Travelbag and Airline Network as well. I would book sooner rather than later if you are wedded to specific dates

That 669 fare is good for me because it includes taxes and I wanted to stopover in Hong Kong and California anyway. There afre likely to be lower fares, but they might not allow you to stop over (if that's what you want), and, more importantly, you should ensure that any fares that are quoted to you include all taxes and fees (which can miraculously add GBP100 or more to the base price)

In terms of comfort, as zonky points out, Air New Zealand (as well as Malaysian and Thai) are more generous in terms of legroom, and NZ in particular promise that all their London flights will be on refitted planes (with individual seat back video screens) by 6 November

In terms of earning miles, unfortunately most of the cheapest tickets do not qualify for points, although Virgin may be more generous than other schemes - best to ask the Virgin experts on that section of Flyertalk

Hope that helps... and is a jargon-free explanation!
Old Jul 5, 2005, 12:47 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Originally Posted by kt74
A couple of UK agents are offering the LHR-HKG-AKL/CHC-LAX-LHR for GBP669 inc tax between Sep and Nov (e.g. http://www.travelmood.com/site/hotof...s/NZVS_RTW.asp )
I know that the fare classes for the Escapade RTW (SQ/NZ/VS/MI/VS/BD) are booked in Q for both NZ and VS, but that one you provided a link to is not the same. The Escapade costs from about 850 GBP ex-UK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.