Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should i take USA PLatinum card invite....

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2006, 7:01 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by versacechild
just an update i did go and upgrade to Platinum as im planning to be visiting a lot of resturants in NYC so the fee of 395 is worth it for me just not having to deal with the hassle of getting a table....
I've seen a lot of justification over the years, with respect to the fee for Platinum Amex... though, I don't think I have ever seen anyone justify it just because of the fine dining/restaurant reservation benefit. Good Luck... I hope that this truly does provide the value expected.

Had the card for a few years in the early 90's --- never found it to be that useful... one of the better benefits is the FH&R program; especially with regard to hotel upgrades. Though, I personally find better recognition at hotels I frequent, and from top tier status like Hyatt Diamond and Hilton Diamond.

Also, the Airport Lounge access benefit definitely provides a lot of value; and is probably one of the better and more tangible benefits.

Last edited by baccarat_king; Mar 11, 2006 at 7:05 am Reason: wording
Old Mar 13, 2006, 8:20 am

Programs: AirCanada Silver
No MR points offered for upgrade

I received the Platinum upgrade offer in the mail and a pop-up keeps coming up every time I log-in to my Amex RewardsPlus Gold account online. I never had been offered any incentives to upgrade. Actually, the only reason I was slightly interested in upgrading was the lounge access, but (as has been mentioned in another thread) you can now purchase membership in DL, CO, or NW lounges and get access at any of the three ... so that benefit was a bit tarnished.

I was hopeful, though, to call in and get a csr to provide me with some MR points to upgrade. I figured if I could get 20 - 25k miles, I'd do it for a year.

I just called and got a rather cheeky csr who said "we don't do that" and that the "benefits of the platinum card speak for themselves." I pushed on and tried to negotiate something and she said, "We typically don't offer any type of incentive for Platinum cards, so there's nothing I can offer you." I don't know ... maybe I'll try again, maybe I'll give up. Am headed to central Mexico in a few weeks on CO and have a pretty long layover in IAH, so was looking forward to the lounge access. Maybe I'll just have to buy a President's Club membership.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 1:10 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Alternately you could purchase a Continental Privlege Pack which includes two Presidents Club visits. I do not know how long it takes these to arrive, but no doubt you could find the answer in the Continental section of Flyertalk.

dennis
Old Mar 14, 2006, 6:48 pm

Personally, I'd take the offer into the backyard and bury it. If the rumor is true, that SPG Gold is going to be removed from the perks list shortly, the perks are gradually deteriorating, and pretty soon you'll be right back to the perks of a Gold card.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 8:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've enjoyed having the platinum card, and gotten my money's worth out of it, but I'm not sure I'll renew at my anniversary date. It's expensive, and Gold is almost as useful. I'll really have to think about it.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Take the Platinum Card?

Originally Posted by anonplz
I've enjoyed having the platinum card, and gotten my money's worth out of it, but I'm not sure I'll renew at my anniversary date. It's expensive, and Gold is almost as useful. I'll really have to think about it.
Depends on what you intend to do. I have found that the Airline Clubs, the Starwood upgrades, and the rental car cards are the only really usefull benefits. I have used the International Air benefit once but they charge you full business fare for the paying passenger. That is usually more than two discount business tickets to the same place. You also have to make your own way to the gateway cities. I was just quoted over $9000 for a ticket from IAH to London on Continental. I can buy a business ticket from phoenix non-stop for about $3600 on BA. Some of the benefits are good, some not so good.
Old Mar 18, 2006, 9:24 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
<<quoted over $9000 for a ticket from IAH to London on Continental. I can buy a business ticket from phoenix non-stop for about $3600 on BA.>>

When American Express introduced this program airlines did not sell deeply discounted international business or first class tickets to the public, they disposed of their excess inventory through consolidators. With the emergence of "I" and "Z" class business fares the program's appeal is much narrower.

If you need a flexible (changeable, refundable) ticket, if you cannot purchase several weeks before travel, if you have a complex itinerary, or if you prefer to travel in first class (on a three class carrier), the Amex program can be good value. However, American Express has done a poor job of marketing because they do not acknowledge the new competitive environment and cardholders have false expectations.

dennis

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.