Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do business pay for EXP

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2006, 9:52 am

Location: Lahaina,HI USA AA PLT 9 Million Miles+, Hyatt Courtesy Card, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz No. 1 Club Gold, Starwood Platinum,OnePass Gold Elite,+++
Originally Posted by drtdk
Do you also believe that the Easter Bunny will be around this weekend?
He'd Better Be!
Old Apr 12, 2006, 9:53 am

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by drtdk
Do you also believe that the Easter Bunny will be around this weekend?
Wait what? No Easter Bunny this weekend?

I'm curious what the number of non BIS EXPs there are out there....
Old Apr 13, 2006, 12:11 am
askworldtraveler

If the name of the company happens to be

Boeing - it wouldn't surprise me -

sometime back there was a thread about a company that recieved EXP cards - granting the window for upgrades, lounge access - but no vips.... it's all rumor until someone who's actually recieved it posts the details - which will happen sometime after the Easter Egg hunt....

Old Apr 13, 2006, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boeing2027
I gave him a call this morning. The head of the travel department relayed that as part of their agreement to direct a significant percentage of their travel on AA (for which they also receive a discount) the upper management and all of the board of directors were extended EXP status for themselves and their immediate family members. He would not comment on the amount of their travel budget/percentage flown on AA etc.
Your friend is pulling your leg.

Corporate discount? Sure. EXP for family members? Nope.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 1:37 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP (5.8MM Airpass) Delta Gold Medallion Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JonNYC
If I thought there was even the slightest bit of truth to this.. I might.

But since there isn't, I don't.
OK, I will. I work for a Fortune 50 Company who is one of AA's biggest clients. We get no EXP grants but as stated before, 3 VIP designations. By the way, most CMOs and CEOs of large corporations don't travel commercial for time, comfort, and security reasons. Expansion of corporate aircraft use even in smaller companies is growing dramatically as the hassles of flying commercial airlines increase. So even if it was true, but I doubt, what difference would it make?
Old Apr 13, 2006, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz
I'd be shaking my head if AA didn't do this.

The revenue potentially generated by certain Fortune 500 companies is so great that handing out even 50 EXP cards would be meaningless in comparison to maintaining that kind of business.

If it's Boeing, meanwhile, that probably goes double. I don't think I have to explain to anyone on this board how much travel their people must generate, and they're at the ORD hub that puts AA in direct competition with UA. (I have no idea who Boeing uses for travel, I'm just pointing this out in relationship to the earlier speculation about whether it was Boeing.)

Of course, there are all kinds of other companies with similarly huge (bigger?) travel budgets.

The funny part folks, is that IF there's any truth, and the board member, C-level folks are actually flying commercial, they're probably flying in F anyway. So the 'lost' benefits to the rest of the EXP community are likely minimal.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 3:55 pm
Suspended

Another flaw in this fantasy is the competitive effect of such a policy. If it was offered to one large customer, you better believe that other similar customers would find out about it very quickly. People talk and people change jobs. If Frito-Lay gets something, JCPenney, TI and EDS very soon demand the same thing.

I've never heard of any of these companies getting "family" EXPs.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 4:23 pm
Suspended

I asked someone the other day who would most certainly be in a position to know if this type of thing exists (and would know all the details of same.) The following is their reply (to that portion of the e-mail) in it's entirety:
"Yes all family members, pets, servants and friends and non-immediate family are comped EP as well as life airpass and their names painted on a 777. Why do you still waste your time with those kooky websites?"
So, I'm taking that as a "no."
Old Apr 13, 2006, 5:21 pm

Programs: SPG Plat (3.2MM LT), Hilton Gold, AA LT Plat (3.2MM), Hertz 5*, US Mint MVP
I dont know why everyone finds this so hard to believe. If a company spends millions a year, why would'nt AA make some consessions as part of the negotiations. We are not privy to the actual negotiations that landed the deal and this may have been part of the deal. It would not suprise me if this claim was in fact true, but then again nothing suprises me anymore these days....

Jim
Old Apr 13, 2006, 6:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CandymanJim
I dont know why everyone finds this so hard to believe.
Unsupported speculation and lacking a basis in fact are two pretty good reasons.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 6:40 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXPPLT, United 1K, *wood PLT, Delta Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Southwest A-list
My first message

I have been long time lurker, but haven't written any messages. Really enjoy all of the helpful information on FT. It has helped me maintain PLAT for the last 5 years...

Anyways on the OP's question, I used to work as a top exec for a Fortune 100 company. My old company's travel department has some sort of deal with AA where top execs were provided PLAT status (NOT EXP) and we were able to maintain it even if we did not meet the requirements for the year. The company also has Airpass as well. The PLAT status for top execs was not offered to any family members.

Hope this helps!
Old Apr 13, 2006, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Welcome to FlyerTalk. You are like many of us who have found the collective FT insight to be quite useful.

Your experience is in-line with many AA contracts. PLT and VIP are offered but very, very rarely EXP and certainly not on the wholesale basis imagined by some on this thread.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 7:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AA53
OK, I will. I work for a Fortune 50 Company who is one of AA's biggest clients. We get no EXP grants but as stated before, 3 VIP designations. By the way, most CMOs and CEOs of large corporations don't travel commercial for time, comfort, and security reasons. Expansion of corporate aircraft use even in smaller companies is growing dramatically as the hassles of flying commercial airlines increase. So even if it was true, but I doubt, what difference would it make?
Well, I agree, but the OP essentially asks a two-part question:

1. [How much do you have to spend to get this?]
Answer; nothing-- since it doesn't actually happen.

2. "Does anyone else feel slightly slighted that AA would confer such status without any effort[?]"
Answer; I sure wouldn't-- for many of the reasons stated above-- but, again, it's academic until/unless they actually start doing such a thing.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 7:31 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXPPLT, United 1K, *wood PLT, Delta Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Southwest A-list
[QUOTE=drtdk]Welcome to FlyerTalk. You are like many of us who have found the collective FT insight to be quite useful.

Thanks! I look forward to obtaining more really helpful info from all you guys.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Not Boeing, Allstate. It all started on a communal trip in which I was shocked I didn't hold the upgrade and my friend and his family did - wouldn't believe it if I hadn't saw the BP and he told me his perk - only slighted b/c I work at attaining/maintaining status - to quote - slightly slighted at being slighted, sort of...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.