Wiki Posts
Search

Play areas at US airports

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2006, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: none
Play areas at US airports

I am a reporter on assignment for USA Today, writing a travel story on play areas in US airports. I am looking for parents who have used the play areas, where they were located, how they helped in a difficult situation, how they didn't help. Looking for best play areas, especially interested in active areas that get kids moving. Why are they important? Is this something new? Would you be willing to be interviewed and quoted? Thanks very much!
Old Aug 1, 2006, 8:46 pm

re: playareas

I'll be flying thru lax and fll and sea

I'd love to know if there are any play areas except to let them run the looooong walkways.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 8:53 pm

No dramatic stories, but my kids have enjoyed the play areas in ORD and PHL. They are done very well. Both are play airfields with "radios" between the cockpit and tower that work. PM me if you'd like to chat.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 10:33 pm

PLAY AREAS FOR KIDS

"Many aiports are discovering the benefits to having an area kids can call their own while traveling.

Kidport at Boston's Logan International Airport includes an Airplane Climbing Structure, a Baggage Claim Slide, a "Fun Places for Families to Visit" Wall Mural, an Infant and Toddler Play Area, a "What's Outside?" Window Display, and a Magnetic Poetry Wall. Located in terminals A and C.

The Observation Gallery at Baltimore-Washinton International Airport is currently closed but will re-open in December with climbing options that include a baggage cart, fuel truck, and airplane slide.

An air traffic control tower, a fantasy helicopter, a cargo plane, and a luggage station are just some of the fun and educational interactive displays at O'Hare Airport's Kids on the Fly in Chicago.

San Jose International has KidPort inside Terminal C's twin-tower structure, which includes video monitors displaying real-time airplane traffic and headsets for listening in to the tower.

And not to be outdone, Pittsburgh International has Kidsport. Located in the airside terminal, and including miniature planes, a 12 foot floor map and temporary installations by local institutions such as the Pittsburgh Zoo and the Pittsburgh Children's museum."
Old Aug 1, 2006, 11:17 pm

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
Not a play area but my wife and our then 7 month old son were admitted to the Delta Crown Club in ATL (and once in SLC) to wait out a 2-hour layover that turned into 3-1/2 hours. She said it was a big help being away from the hustle and bustle because she could rest and the baby took a longer than usual nap. Had they been in the terminal area, he would have been flirting with every lady walking by
Old Aug 2, 2006, 6:44 am

That reminds me of the great London Lounge at Heathrow that has a great play room with Legos, books, etc. It also has a theater room that no one was using when we were there, so my daughter used it to watch cartoons.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 7:26 am

Programs: UA 1K; VA Gold; QF Gold; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold; National ExecElite
My wife and I have travelled with my son, now age 3, on several occasions. We usually try to take nonstop flights where possible (and affordable) to keep the total travelling time to a minimum. On the occasions where we fly to Roanoke to visit family, however, we prefer to fly DL through CVG. There is a simple play area on the end of the A Concourse of Terminal 3 near where you enter from the other terminals. It's got some indoor play equipment, a TV showing kids' programs, and some toys. It's nothing fancy, but it's a very welcome diversion when travelling to break up his boredom and to get some energy out.

Play areas are a great idea. It really is a relief to harried parents who are trying to hustle through a crowded airport with kids, bags, snacks, and whatever else in tow. I don't see very many of them in airports around the country, however. I imagine cash-strapped municipalities aren't very keen on the idea of a free play area in airport space that could otherwise be occupied by a rent-paying business. The play area at CVG seems to be in a spot that wouldn't really fit a business, except possibly another shoe shine or maybe a cart/kiosk kind of operation. It's a nice place to stop and let my son play a little, but it could be much better. The TV doesn't work all that well, and the indoor playset is the very small slide designed for children about 2 years old. While it's welcome, it pales in comparison to the play area in the food court of our local mall.

If I were to design a play area in an airport, I'd have two sections - one for bigger kids, say 5 and up, and one for younger kids. I'd make the bigger kids area like the playlands at McDonald's. And I'd scale it down for the younger kids. Ban shoes, food and drink in the play area. And absolutely require parental supervision. You'd need to have a single entrance/exit as well to make sure the kids didn't wander off and get lost. Put a couple video game consoles in there as well, and an TV playing Disney Channel or PBS Sprout. I'd also make sure there was a bank of arrival/departure monitors as well, so parents can check on flight status. And it needs to be free - we pay for enough stuff at the airports these days.

I suppose an area like this would take away from revenue-generating space. But maybe you put it near the food court area and sell sponsorship rights - the McDonald's Playland at Anytown International Airport, or whatever. I think this would make parents more comfortable flying with kids. And frankly, it will make other travellers more comfortable, too - since the kids will be playing in the play area and not running around by the gates.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 12:54 pm

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
As we travel a lot with my son, keeping track of play areas is a bit of a hobby of mine. They are an essential part of our travel experience... we get to the airport early at times just to use the play area facilities, if they're good. And with people being forced to line up earlier and earlier at airports, these play areas are essential when travelling with kids (what else is there to do at an airport ... aside from watching planes, of course!).

Before a long flight, it's essential to get kids to exercise and move around -- perhaps prompting a nice nap once aboard the plane (which is really our ulterior motive). Just PM me if you need more information.

In the meantime, here's some research for your article:

The most well known of play areas called Kidport ... they have two in Boston http://www.massport.com/logan/insid_kidpo.html

Denver has a small play area upstairs in the United terminal that my son has enjoyed. They had a small one in Phoenix as well. These smaller areas are still great for younger kids.

Kids love ORD as you can ride the people movers (with flashing lights and music around you) as well as check out the life-sized dinosaur bones.

Seattle's is outstanding... here's some pictures from their Web site: http://www.portseattle.org/seatac/services/kids.shtml

Internationally, Vancouver, Toronto, Halifax and Coopenhagen all had nice play areas.

Most of the UK airports have something as well: http://www.babyworld.co.uk/informati...s.asp#heathrow

Looks like Auckland does as well: http://www.auckland-airport.co.nz/Gu...facilities.php, though I've never been there.

But here's an article in Cookie magazine that lists just about all of the big ones out there: http://www.cookiemag.com/travel/arti...7/tra200607_01. It lists:

Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport
Observation Gallery on Upper Level, between Concourses B and C
Children can climb on oversize model airplanes or explore an aviation exhibit.
bwiairport.com

Logan International Airport, Boston
Terminals A and C
The airport's Kidport romper rooms have baggage-claim slides and a private area for nursing moms.
massport.com

O'Hare International Airport, Chicago
Terminal 2
At the permanent Kids on the Fly exhibit, your child's imagination will take flight as she mans the air-traffic-control tower or lands a fantasy helicopter or cargo plane.
flychicago.com

Cleveland Hopkins International Airport
Concourses A, C, and D
The newest addition to the airport's four play areas, which include climbing mountains, Fisher Price playhouses, and slides, is an interactive display from the Children's Museum of Cleveland (in Concourse D) that focuses on nutrition and health.
clevelandairport.com

Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport
Terminals B and C
This summer the airport unveils two mock runways, as well as bridges, cars, planes, luggage, and air-traffic-control towers, in its Landing Zone play areas, which are decorated with vivid murals of airplanes and brightly colored, padded floors.
dfwairport.com

Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport
Concourses A and B
Faced with six play areas (four in Concourse A and two in Concourse B) featuring picnic tables, log-cabin playhouses, and plastic ships that they can climb on, your children are sure to be ready for naps by the time you board your plane. (And isn't that the goal?)
metroairport.com

McCarran International Airport, Las Vegas
D Concourse, Level 2
The aviation-themed Children's Play Area features an interactive mini-control tower and a mock jet engine.
mccarran.com

Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport
Lindbergh TerminalConcourse C; Humphrey Terminal, 2nd Floor
Two 1,000-square-foot children's play areas include mock airplanes and air-traffic-control towers.
mspairport.com

Nashville International Airport
Concourse connector between Concourses C/D and A/B
Relax in one of the airfield observation area's rocking chairs as your kids build Lego spaceships, castles, and towns in a colorfully carpeted play area.
nashintl.com

Philadelphia International Airport
Terminal D
In the Please Touch Aviation Station, pilots-in-training can take part in many interactive displaysincluding a mini-airplane with hand controls that activate a spinning propeller.
phl.org

Pittsburgh International Airport
Concourse C
Kidsport's 1,500-square-foot play area includes miniature airplanes and pint-size ticket counters for budding aviators (or ticket-takers).
pitairport.com

Portland International Airport, Portland, Oregon
Concourses C and D
Your children will feel right at home in one of two cozy play areas full of toys, blocks, and a television that plays cartoons around the clock. There is also a small climbing area in Concourse C.
flypdx.com

Salt Lake City International Airport
Concourses A, B, and E
Let your children expend their energy at one of this airport's three play areas, which feature Legos, art easels, and chalkboards, as well as carpeting with roads and runways down which kids can drive foam cars and airplanes. Little ones will love the small slide in Concourse A, while bigger kids can explore the Hansel and Gretel playhouse in Concourse B.
slcairport.com

San Francisco International Airport
Terminal 3
The Kid's Spot is an interactive exploration area featuring a crawling apparatus and the Plasma Wall, which shoots arcs of color when kids clap or make other sounds. Private nursery rooms are also available in Terminals 1 and 3.
flysfo.com

Norman Y. Mineta San Jos International Airport, San Jos, California
Terminal C
This Kidport play area includes a wooden climbing structure with a slide and a mock air-traffic-control tower.
sjc.org

Sea-Tac Airport, Seattle
Central Terminal between Concourses A and B
Visit the new 1,400-square-foot space, where children can play pilot on a giant soft-foam airplane, or climb on a control tower and baggage cart.
portseattle.org
Old Aug 2, 2006, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Uniter
Kids love ORD as you can ride the people movers (with flashing lights and music around you) as well as check out the life-sized dinosaur bones.

O'Hare International Airport, Chicago
Terminal 2
At the permanent Kids on the Fly exhibit, your child's imagination will take flight as she mans the air-traffic-control tower or lands a fantasy helicopter or cargo plane.
flychicago.com

Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport
Terminals B and C
This summer the airport unveils two mock runways, as well as bridges, cars, planes, luggage, and air-traffic-control towers, in its Landing Zone play areas, which are decorated with vivid murals of airplanes and brightly colored, padded floors.
dfwairport.com

The one at ORD is in cooperation with the local children's museum which seems like a great combo.

The new International terminal D at DFW as a McDonald's with several free electronic games and a play car to play on. DFW also has some for unaccompanied kids and groups that aren't open to individual travelers.

LIT has a small game room near the end of the terminal with 4 coin operated games for older kids.

Moscow (SVO) has a restaurant on the lower level that has a fabulous play room in a separate room complete with a sign in and attendant for restaurant guest.

Atlanta Has one at C-24, none in D terminal and I can't remember the locations in A, B, E, and T.

These Play areas are great for travelers without kids because the kids are not screaming in the business travelers ears at the gate.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 6:59 pm

Programs: skymiles,
In February we survived a 5 hour delay in CVG thanks to a very nice play area in terminal 1. Clean, fenced in with a white PVC fence and had various climbing structures on a rubberized floor. It's not very well advertised and seems to be hidden at the end of the terminal (by the Delta Crown Room). I espcially like the fenced area as it helped keep the ball my kids travel with "in" and non kid people out. It is amazing how many times I have found a so called "Kid" area being used by a non kid person for a nap. No biggie, but please spare me the dirty looks when my kids do start playing!

LAS has a nice play area as well - a bit sparse and can run a little dirty at times, but still - it's a great place to let the kids run off a little spare energy without interfering with travellers around them.

Feel free to contact me if you'd like. pm me for contact info.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 7:19 am

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
Cdg? Fco?

Does anyone know if/where there's a play area at Charles De Gaulle airport in Paris? Or Fiumicino in Rome?
Old Aug 3, 2006, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Helena Handbaskets
Does anyone know if/where there's a play area at Charles De Gaulle airport in Paris? Or Fiumicino in Rome?
apparently yes in Paris

http://www1.epinions.com/content_39774228100

After convincing myself there had to be a decent option in changing my baby, I found a sign that said "Children's Play Area". Surely if there was one place to change a diaper, it had to be located there. The Children's Area is located upstairs, and visible from all parts of the airport. From down below it looked like an oasis in the desert....a beautiful place with slides and swings.....if only you can find how to get up there.

Logan claims to have been the first:

http://massport.com/logan/about_histo.html

In 1983, roadway improvements were made, as well as renovations to Terminal C (former North Terminal) and the development of the nation's first airport play area called Kidport in 1987. Kidport was one of the United States' first airport facilities to entertain children. Designed by The Children's Museum of Boston, the bright, attractive play areas featured an interactive cockpit, Brio wooden train toys, and views of the runways with signs that explain what's happening on the tarmac.

According to a survey by Airports Council International North America there are 50 airports with play areas. The Travel Industry Association of America says in one year nearly 11 million plane trips included a child, nearly 20 per cent of the annual total.

http://www.familytravelnetwork.com/a...t_playarea.asp

In London

Airport play areas

How do you keep the children occupied while you are waiting to board? A play area can be the answer. The best are in mainland Europe (Zurich, for example, boasts a fully-equipped nursery with cots), but they are also worth searching out at UK airports (check the airport websites). At Heathrow (www.heathrowairport.com), there is a play area in Terminal 1, by Gates 35-56, while families travelling from Terminal 4 can pay to use the KLM Holideck lounge (020-8750 9881, 18 adults, 9 children) with free refreshments, magazines, toys and games available for pre-school children.

Both terminals at Gatwick have small play areas on the lower levels of the international departure lounges and there is also a childrens play area in the Gatwick Village shopping area on the first floor of South Terminal. There is a play area at Stansted (www.stanstedairport.co.uk) but be prepared for pester power as it is right by Hamleys in the departure lounge. Edinburgh (www.edinburghairport.com) has play tables at Gate 2 and Gate 9, while at Manchester (www.manchesterairport.co.uk), young children can play or watch TV in the departure lounge in Terminal 1.

Buffalo

Parents traveling with children this holiday season will have an easier time as they wait for their flights in the Buffalo Niagara International Airport. Awaiting them at Gate 14 are a plastic slide, see-saw, miniature Silverado truck and other toys donated by Fisher-Price of East Aurora.

Fisher-Price also has remodeled its play area in the food court before the security gates.
"There are times when you're waiting for planes and you're looking for something to do," said Chuck Scothon, senior vice president of marketing and brand development, and the father of a 3-year-old daughter. "When families are traveling in Buffalo, they will have a good experience for their children."

Read the story at The Buffalo News.

Last edited by jerry crump; Aug 3, 2006 at 7:04 pm
Old Aug 3, 2006, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA, Skymiles, OnePass
Another poster wrote:

Atlanta Has one at C-24, none in D terminal and I can't remember the locations in A, B, E, and T.

It's at B-8: just a few gym mats and a small Little Tykes structure suitable for preschoolers, but it was a godsend.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think everyone who travels regularly with small children knows the value of an airport play area.

Unfortunately, since they don't bring in any revenue and take up space, they often seem an afterthought at US airports.

I agree with the above posters who applaud the natural partnership between kids-focused museums and airport play areas. In that respect, the play areas at ORD and PHL are commendable.

I always appreciate it when even small airports try SOMETHING to entertain the kids. At tiny Jackson Hole airport this summer, my kids were delighted to find lego tables scattered throughout the concourse. That probably cost the airport next to nothing, and results in many happy parents and children.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 11:09 am

Programs: Does it matter any more?
SFO - we ride the little two coach people mover train that runs between the terminals and the rental car building. The kids get a thrill out of riding a train and seeing different planes (777, 747, 757etc) on the tarmac is icing on the cake.

SIN - T2 had a kid's play area near the F gates Transit desk. There are many ponds and small gardens scattered through both T1 and T2, that the kids kept busy.

BOS - others have mentioned the Kid port already.

SJC - Kidport mentioned by others already.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.