Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ride Report - '07 Ford Edge

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2007, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Ride Report - '07 Ford Edge

Got one as an upgrade on a C reservation late last week at DFW...

http://www.fordvehicles.com/crossovers/edge/

This version of the Edge in SEL AWD trim had optional Sirius for a total MSRP of $28,185.

Powertrain: The Edge comes with a standard 3.5L Duratec V6 with 265 hp, which on paper sounds appealing. In practice, however, the Edge's heavy curb weight and transmission gearing interrupt power delivery, and the engine note is somewhat coarse. Still, power is plentiful and around town the Edge is no slouch. The standard six-speed automatic is generally smooth, but has odd gear ratios and sometimes gets confused. Fuel-economy is an EPA-estimated 16/24 mpg city/highway, though I've only seen around 14.8 mpg in mixed driving.

Ride/Handling: The Edge performs reasonably well, straddling the line nicely between comfort and performance. Steering is communicative and provides good feel, and ride quality is exceptionally smooth. Handling is a mixed bag, though -- the chassis feels solid but that several extra hundred pounds the Edge carries over its rivals conspires to exacerbate body roll and grip, making the Ford more tipsy than it should be. Road and wind noise are well controlled, though the brakes provide somewhat longer-than-expected stopping distances on account of the Edge's weight and tires.

Interior: The interior on the Edge is comfortable and roomy, but is a bit of a letdown in quality. Tactile quality is generally good, but build and materials quality fare slightly worse, with hard plastics and some panel asssembly issues. Interior space is great for both front and rear passengers, though the sharp rear decklid lines intrude on cargo space. Ergonomics are generally intuitive, and seat comfort earns high marks across both rows.

Design: Ford's newest crossover design is fresh, IMO -- exterior styling hides the Edge's size well, and the overall shape is pleasing and elegant, while still showing some flair. Inside, the trend continues, with an overall contemporary interior design, albeit somewhat stark in the dark color of my rental example. Visibility is generally not a problem, and the gauges are the typical Ford green in color.

Features: The Edge has the standard set of convenience and safety features, in addition to Sirius satellite radio.

Value: The Edge is classed as an L, which puts it in contention with the Toyota Highlander, Jeep Grand Cherokee and Ford Explorer. The Toyota may still be slightly more refined, but the Ford is more sporting than all three, and overall, it's an interesting new choice at Hertz, even if it isn't a knockout.

To sum it up:

The Good
Slick styling
Comfortable and spacious interior
Smooth ride

The Bad
Portly weight intrudes on driving dynamics
Below-average fuel economy
Could use some nicer interior materials
Old Mar 21, 2007, 6:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, UA Nobody, Hertz Gold, Avis Select
Just to satisfy my own curiosity...How does it compare to the FX35?
Old Mar 21, 2007, 7:35 pm

Programs: DL Gold, National Exec, Hertz 5*
I am fairly anxious to try one of these as its caught my eye ever since release. Ive got a rental tommorrow back at MCO, maybe I can pick one of these up (although Ive heard they are fairly limited as to which stations recieved them)....
Old Mar 21, 2007, 9:13 pm

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTTE, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Ugly

Looks like a 4 wheel drive SmartCar
Old Mar 22, 2007, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by psychephylax
Just to satisfy my own curiosity...How does it compare to the FX35?
I haven't driven the Infiniti in a while (especially after the recent model refresh), but the Edge has more space on the inside. However, it's not nearly as sporty as the FX.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
I'll rent an Edge tomorrow at LAX for less than $150 a week (including taxes and fees, unlimited miles), a deal I simply couldn't resist, even though I'm trading it for a Corvette convertible, which was fun, too.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
prashok's ride report is spot on. It's an OK car, but it certainly doesn't lure me into driving more than I need to.

Btw, I spotted several new Shelby GT-H convertibles at LAX this weekend. Can't be booked via the website, yet. I'll try to get my hands on one for a week or so when Im back in L.A. later this summer. At least that's a Ford that should be fun to drive, even though I was quite happy with the Vette, as well.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Ah, one of the benefits of being in LAX! I look forward to your comparison of the GT-H against the garden variety convertible.

I'm still annoyed I couldn't get my Mustang rental to do burnouts in Kauai. What's with that?
Old Jun 13, 2007, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BiziBB
Ah, one of the benefits of being in LAX! I look forward to your comparison of the GT-H against the garden variety convertible.
Earlier this year, I rented 3 different non-convertible GT-Hs at LAX for a total of about 4-5 weeks, and I don't expect the convertible to handle much different than the hardtop. I stopped renting them after they had accumulated too many miles, as some renters obviously didn't treat those cars too well. It might have had something to do with doing burnouts and stuff.

GT-Hs sound and look quite impressive, and people are always looking and sometimes wanna race you the streets and freeways, but the current 2007 Corvette is better and more advanced in every aspect. The 2008 Vette is supposed to add a few more HP and will improve the shifting speed of the 6-speed automatic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.