Sweden SIM Card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sweden SIM Card?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2007, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Sweden SIM Card?

Hi,
My GF will be in Sweden for a week, and wants to get a local SIM card for her unlocked GSM phone. Where can one pick up a SIM card in Stockholm? Any idea of how much the card might cost (hopefully not more than 10 Euro or so for a card with a few Euros worth of credit?)

Thanks for the help,
Old Jun 5, 2007, 9:16 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite (*G), SK EB Silver, various more or less shiny hotel cards
Prepaid cards are available "everywhere", like 7-Eleven, in addition to cell phone shops or electronics shops. I think she should aim for a true prepaid card (kontantkort), and refill it if necessary. Several of the companies have campaigns where you buy a card (cost like 100 SEK or $15) but get the same amount or more as credit to use for calls when registering the card and/or topping it up.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 7:47 am

Programs: UA *G MM
You get the full value in credits when purchasing the card for SEK 100. If you register the card for billing (so that it can be used outside Sweden) then you get 2X the amount, but that's not an option for a visitor.

Refilling the card can be done anywhere for any (I think) carrier. I usually do it at the supermarket. Just ask the cashier and they print a receipt with a code.

Calling the US on this phone would quickly burn up your stored amount. With Telia it is SEK 9 per minute. After 7 pm nights and weekends apply (a few cents per min versus SEK 4) then you can place a local or toll free call for close to nothing and use a phone card to connect to the US. Be aware though that mobile operators sometimes block calls to toll free card numbers! Skype is of course a good idea if you have access to a broadband internet connection.

You are of course aware that incoming calls are paid by the other party so it is useful for receiving calls. It will run 30 cents a minute or so to call a Swedish mobile from the US.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 10:49 am

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
It's very simple to get a SIM card for a pay-as-you-go plan from Phone House or other phone store. There are a number of electronics stores on Klarabergsgatan across from the big Ahlens, or in Gallerien or even in Stockholm Central (train station). The cheapest plan/provider is COMVIQ, which was recommended by a friend and by the clerk at the store. But beware Comviq if you plan travel in rural areas because their coverage is somewhat limited. This page shows coverage by the different Sweden providers (click on "Coverage map" under each provider).

Last edited by Fornebufox; Jun 15, 2007 at 10:52 am Reason: add addresses
Old Jun 26, 2007, 9:26 pm

Is there a regional SIM card for Sweeden, Denmark and Helsinki?
Old Jun 27, 2007, 6:32 am

Programs: SK*S, AA PLT, US*S
I know from a prepaid deal in Norway, that you could travel throughout most of western europe, roaming though. But still, I am thinking almost a dollar a minute..
Old Jun 29, 2007, 1:06 am

Programs: KL FlyingBlue Gold, AY+, MM FTL, TK*G
Originally Posted by chaimtn
Is there a regional SIM card for Sweeden, Denmark and Helsinki?
No, there is no card that uses local rates in all countries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.