Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

jetBlue's website vs Virgin Ameirca's website

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2007, 4:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond, and Royal Caribbean Pinnacle Club

In the past couple months there have been some debate between jetBlue and Virgin America. I've been pretty much neutral since I love jetBlue and at the same time fully support Virgin America. With that said, I'm going post what I've noticed about the new Virgin America website vs jetBlue's website.

Virgin America wins in these areas:
- You can view the seat map prior to booking your trip.
- More detailed information about the airports such as baggage claims and exact counter locations.

However, jetBlue wins in these areas:
- You don't have to pay a extra fee ($15 between SFO and LAX) to sit in a special seat such as the first row or the exit row.
- You can actually earn points towards awards, unlike eleVAte which just, at this time, keep track of your flights.

In the end, I actually like jetBlue's website more because it is a lot less clutter and easier to navigate.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 8:13 am

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Hertz
Good brief analysis comparing the two sites. I would like to add one thing. I know I have been saying it for close to a year now, but I promise that a very good source let me know that viewing seat maps prior to purchase on jetBlue will be added soon! I don't know what is taking so long...may jetBlueFA can fill us in.

I have not been following VA so closely, aside from browsing their web site a few months ago, reading the thread titles and news headlines. I know the basics, and truthfully I don't think they will seriously hurt any airline. Sure, they'll gain their loyalty, but I think they are coming into the market at a bad time. Not saying the demand is not there, because obviously it is. I just think they will stay alive because we know who will be throwing money out the window to keep them going.

Is VA selling tix yet? I'll check out the site today. It would be cool to try and get on the inaugural.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by jetBlueNYFL
Good brief analysis comparing the two sites. I would like to add one thing. I know I have been saying it for close to a year now, but I promise that a very good source let me know that viewing seat maps prior to purchase on jetBlue will be added soon! I don't know what is taking so long...may jetBlueFA can fill us in.

I have not been following VA so closely, aside from browsing their web site a few months ago, reading the thread titles and news headlines. I know the basics, and truthfully I don't think they will seriously hurt any airline. Sure, they'll gain their loyalty, but I think they are coming into the market at a bad time. Not saying the demand is not there, because obviously it is. I just think they will stay alive because we know who will be throwing money out the window to keep them going.

Is VA selling tix yet? I'll check out the site today. It would be cool to try and get on the inaugural.
VX is selling tickets on their website. JFK-SFO is $278 (+ taxes & fees) while their FC is $778 (+taxes & fees).

Those are very competitive fares, but they may be interpreted at this point as promotional launch fares.

If VX gets large enough it will definitely capture market share. There are some similarities to the B6 product, including PTV and internet access (which is coming to B6).

But there are differences, as well. The fact that they have premium cabin and that seat pitch in coach is a standard 32" will mean that B6 will remain the undisputed leader in terms of providing comfort to its coach passengers.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 9:23 am

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Hertz
I agree with you TWA Fan.

I just checked out Virgin America's fares. Are they really already soly out on 8/8 (first day) JFK-SFO!? That seems too fast. Unless half the plane is media and Virgin America execs, while the other half is us crazy FTers and a.netters

I'm thinking about doing JFK-SFO on 8/10 with Virgin and returning on 8/11 with jetBlue. Just want to get a taste of Virgin America...in the long run, I will gladly stick with jetBlue. $139 is extremely cheap, and I can use an award flight back...no avail. out of SFO on the 11th, but the OAK ShutEye has avail. Any east coasters planning on doing something similar that week to experience it? I've never written a TR as all my flights are routine usually, ie. no *new* airlines. So this might be a good chance to write one.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jetBlueNYFL
I agree with you TWA Fan.

I just checked out Virgin America's fares. Are they really already soly out on 8/8 (first day) JFK-SFO!? That seems too fast. Unless half the plane is media and Virgin America execs, while the other half is us crazy FTers and a.netters

I'm thinking about doing JFK-SFO on 8/10 with Virgin and returning on 8/11 with jetBlue. Just want to get a taste of Virgin America...in the long run, I will gladly stick with jetBlue. $139 is extremely cheap, and I can use an award flight back...no avail. out of SFO on the 11th, but the OAK ShutEye has avail. Any east coasters planning on doing something similar that week to experience it? I've never written a TR as all my flights are routine usually, ie. no *new* airlines. So this might be a good chance to write one.
I am definitely going to give VX a try, especially at those prices (I may even splurge and try the FC).

My college classmate Bob Dana is the CFO at VX, so I actually have a very remote connection here.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 9:48 am

Programs: Bonvoy (Titanium) . Delta (Platinum)
my first impression of VA

...my browser opens to a blank screen.

So right now, jetblue is winning
Old Jul 19, 2007, 9:51 am

I agree with defiance96. The VA site is crashing today. I tried joining eleVAte, but damn site is down.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 9:53 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus 1K, DL Gold Medallion, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by defiance96
...my browser opens to a blank screen.

So right now, jetblue is winning
ditto.

i was about to book my flight (credit card number in and everything) and then the white screen with no activity. i've attempted to redo the whole process again about 10 times no with no luck... not such a great first day. they really should've anticipated the bandwith problem...
Old Jul 19, 2007, 9:55 am

Programs: Credit Cards
I'd like to give them a try too... but I'll more than likely wait until I heard people's comments on them after a few months of operation.

It will only happen too if their fares are significantly lower than Jet Blue's.

--Russ
Old Jul 19, 2007, 10:01 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
They are not sold out on the 8th. They are only running flights for invitees I guess. According to a.net the first day of operations for the public is August 9th. Their website doesn't work very well at all with Safari on a mac but I am excited to have a new airline based at SFO.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
They are not sold out on the 8th. They are only running flights for invitees I guess. According to a.net the first day of operations for the public is August 9th. Their website doesn't work very well at all with Safari on a mac but I am excited to have a new airline based at SFO.
Right now their server is clearly overwhelmed and is operating at a glacial pace.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 11:44 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus 1K, DL Gold Medallion, SPG Platinum
Thumbs down

It is not promising when, on the very first day they're accepting reservations, they've had to temporarily take down their website and refer potential pax to call their reservations line to be attended to... What's more, when one calls that number and puts in all of the relevant flight information for a purchase, the system finally comes back with "Your call cannot be directed right now. Please try later." Oh wait -- I just got through and it says there's a TWENTY-MINUTE wait time!

I'm going to give them a try, but shouldn't they have learned from others' mistakes? One would think that they would've heeded the advice that others threw at B6 back in February (and in the subsequent months) regarding handling passenger volume, etc... It's kind of inexcusable not to have been prepared for an overwhelming response to their product on the first day of ops...

Yay for B6! Boo for VX.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nickio
It is not promising when, on the very first day they're accepting reservations, they've had to temporarily take down their website and refer potential pax to call their reservations line to be attended to... What's more, when one calls that number and puts in all of the relevant flight information for a purchase, the system finally comes back with "Your call cannot be directed right now. Please try later." Oh wait -- I just got through and it says there's a TWENTY-MINUTE wait time!

I'm going to give them a try, but shouldn't they have learned from others' mistakes? One would think that they would've heeded the advice that others threw at B6 back in February (and in the subsequent months) regarding handling passenger volume, etc... It's kind of inexcusable not to have been prepared for an overwhelming response to their product on the first day of ops...

Yay for B6! Boo for VX.
I think of today as the start of the Oklahoma land rush. Once the initial craze dies down, we'll see how their infrastructure deals with the average demand.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Well, today's VX press release states:

The inaugural flights will include live entertainment at 35,000 feet and a host of celebrities, friends and supporters, hosted by Virgin Group Founder Sir Richard Branson and Virgin America Chief Executive Officer Fred Reid. The airline will auction tickets for the star-studded inaugural flights to support KIPP - the Knowledge Is Power Program, a network of free, open-enrollment, college-preparatory public schools that serve underserved communities throughout the United States. Details of this initiative will be announced shortly.
That might explain why the flights appear full... but more curious is the specific mention of Sir Richard... didn't they just come out with the news that he would NOT participate in the launch?!?
Old Jul 19, 2007, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond, and Royal Caribbean Pinnacle Club
LAX to SFO was booked but I was able to book the very first SFO to LAX flight on Aug 8! Freaking cost me $139.40 one way after all the taxes in coach. I also did encounter some problems but its with the phone systems, I tried calling and it just forward me to a weird voice mail box. I think I'm gonna show up early and see the inbound flights and take a lot of pictures.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.