Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Comments welcome, voting underway: Should VX Have a Forum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comments welcome, voting underway: Should VX Have a Forum?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2007, 6:58 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
Original Poster

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Now that the new TalkBoard is seated, someone should simply wait until koko is off from his holiday and make the motion again. With the new members, the vote count could easily be 6 for.
Maybe.

But it won't get my support until some more time has passed and VX has matured. I will not support a motion that is brought up repeatedly in the hopes that people will eventually vote for it to make it go away. Other TalkBoard members may feel differently.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Spiff
Maybe.

But it won't get my support until some more time has passed and VX has matured. I will not support a motion that is brought up repeatedly in the hopes that people will eventually vote for it to make it go away. Other TalkBoard members may feel differently.
Agreed. Let the dust settle down and reconsider the issue in at least a few months, if felt necessary by then, otherwise it makes a mockery of the process if TB is asked to vote again everytime it comes up with the "wrong" answer in the eyes of some.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Spiff
Maybe.

Your vote was a no and will remain a no, so it's obvious (I hope) I wasn't talking about you.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 8:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
You'd also have to hope my vote remained a 'yes' in those circumstances too. Is it worth risking antagonising one of the previous yes votes by following the tactics you outline? Interesting decision, and not mine to make
Old Dec 5, 2007, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Your vote was a no and will remain a no, so it's obvious (I hope) I wasn't talking about you.
My no vote may become a yes vote someday when VX matures.

However, if the question starts getting asked on a weekly basis, then it's probably going to remain no. Badgering the Vote doesn't impress me at all.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Jenbel
You'd also have to hope my vote remained a 'yes' in those circumstances too. Is it worth risking antagonising one of the previous yes votes by following the tactics you outline? Interesting decision, and not mine to make
Changing your vote would send a message, but not sure it's the right one.

Hey, new administration in place now. Clean slate and nothing should be off the table just cause the old TB voted recently.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 9:30 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Hey, new administration in place now. Clean slate and nothing should be off the table just cause the old TB voted recently.
Quick reversal would be disrespectful to the prior TB. Had I been elected, I would likely be opposing a new motion on those grounds alone, despite the fact that I strongly favor a VX forum.

A central tenet of moderating is that when you give respect, you get respect back. It also works in reverse, unfortunately.

Once VX actually launches its FF program, that will be a change in circumstances sufficient to revisit the issue.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Changing your vote would send a message, but not sure it's the right one.

Badgering the Vote is hardly the right message either. TalkBoard voted, the motion failed. Why not strengthen the VX cause by posting substantively in the ONSAFFP forum instead of insisting on a re-vote less than one week after a previous vote was cast?

Other TalkBoard members may feel differently.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsx
Quick reversal would be disrespectful to the prior TB. Had I been elected, I would likely be opposing a new motion on those grounds alone, despite the fact that I strongly favor a VX forum.

A central tenet of moderating is that when you give respect, you get respect back. It also works in reverse, unfortunately.

Once VX actually launches its FF program, that will be a change in circumstances sufficient to revisit the issue.
I completely agree!^ I too would have voted for a VX forum, but I respect that the "old" TalkBoard voted against it. Had they not brought it up we would have probably had a new motion for it within a few weeks and it would likely pass, but that is not something I want to do at this point, since I feel it's not in the spirit of the TalkBoard. During the campaign there was a question raised regarding whether we feel a 2/3's vote should be needed to pass something, and most said yes, simply so our decisions arent as "fluid."

Therefore as much as I would like to motion for a VX forum soon, I would rather wait either for some new circumstances (such as a more clearly defined FF program), or otherwise wait for some time to pass before re-introducing the idea.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Voting for an new start-up airline which does not even have a FF program in action was absurd, and way to too early to have its own forum. IMHO

As I have posted before Virgin Blue is a very major force in this market, has been for many years, and has its own FF program, club lounges, credit cards etc, and I do not see any baying at the moon for a Virgin Blue forum. @:-)

FT is truly global, and I am glad that Americentric decisions do not galvanize the minds of TB.

I voted NO as the record shows and members are reminded that history shows TB usually does not re-vote on such matters soon after .. altho there is technically nothing to preclude that.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 6:07 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by ozstamps
As I have posted before Virgin Blue is a very major force in this market, has been for many years, and has its own FF program, club lounges, credit cards etc, and I do not see any baying at the moon for a Virgin Blue forum. @:-)
True.

However there really are not a lot of posts about DJ. It would not surprise me if there are not already more posts about VX than there are about DJ.

In any case I thought it has been argued (by some TB members at least) that size of airline is not directly relevant to any decision to have or not have a separate forum. For example China Southern is by some measures in the top 10 biggest airlines, and is a member of a major alliance (unlike both DJ and VX), and has no separate FT forum (nor is one needed at the moment IMHO).
Old Dec 6, 2007, 6:15 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Unhappy Oh, please

FT is truly global, and I am glad that Americentric decisions do not galvanize the minds of TB.
This issue is about the level of interest in the topic, as expressed by FT members -- it's not about nationalism. Taking a shot at "Americentric" attitudes is a cheap one.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Voting for an new start-up airline which does not even have a FF program in action was absurd, and way to too early to have its own forum. IMHO
so what is eleVAte then? why do I have an eleVAte number that VX has told me will help me earn miles? of course I have tons of questions and suggestions for them as they release details about eleVAte and was hoping I could do that easily on FlyerTalk using a dedicated forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.