Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Chicago to LA, Singapore, Bangkok, Taipei, Seoul, and Osaka in C on UA,SQ,TG,OZ,NH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chicago to LA, Singapore, Bangkok, Taipei, Seoul, and Osaka in C on UA,SQ,TG,OZ,NH

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2007, 11:30 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, KLM Flying Dutchman
Originally Posted by air_male
Great report - enjoyed the novel! What kind of award did you book that allows so many stopovers or was it multiple or combinations of award and revenue?
That's just what I was wondering... I've opened the flickr link to see the pictures, man it's an amazing trip, I'm jealous
Old Dec 28, 2007, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
OK, I just posted Part 5, TPE-ICN. I'm uploading my TPE photos right now, so they should be up on my Flickr account soon (and I'll post the link here then).
Old Dec 28, 2007, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Here are the details of how I booked it...

It's all one Star Alliance business class award to North Asia booked through United using my United miles. In all, it cost me 90,000 miles and $47 in taxes (plus 700 Thai baht, which I had to pay at BKK).

Since I'm in college, I only had one week during which I could take this trip, and that was the week after school got out and before Christmas. I had originally planned on going to PEK for that week to practice my Chinese, but then I decided that Singapore and Taipei would serve the same purpose and offer a bit better climate.

Availability in C class was initially really tough to find, especially on the outbound transpac (USA to SIN). In fact, I held an award itinerary all in coach to SIN and TPE for two days and was about to book it, but then, luckily, I happened upon biz class availability on SQ's LAX-SIN nonstop. That's when I decided to make this trip a bit crazier and stop in lots of countries, since being in biz class would make going without good sleep for the week a lot more palatable.

I spent more than 8 hours on ANA's *A award search tool looking for biz class availability to cool cities in Asia for my layovers. I had spent lots of time in HKG already, so that was out. My preferences were SGN (Ho Chi Minh City/Saigon, Vietnam), MNL, and BKK, but given the selection of *A's member airlines, only BKK worked out. My stops in ICN and KIX were not by choice, but they certainly aren't the worst cities to spend some time in.

So, I created a list of the flights I wanted and called up UA again. We brought up my held coach award, and I told the agent I had found C availability. I read off the list of flights, and she booked them one-by-one. It took at least 90 minutes on the phone, because she could only keep the reservation open and changeable for 15 minutes, and the first few times it took more than 15 minutes for her to find all the flights. Finally, on the third or fourth try, she was able to book all my flights in the 15-minute window. Once we had all the flights, I put the reservation on hold. I had 2-3 days to book it.

I called back several times in the next couple of days trying to move the dates and connection cities around a bit and trying to find a C seat from ICN-KIX (which I was ultimately not successful in finding). One of the agents wanted to check with the rate desk about the whole itinerary before she would make a certain change. It took about 30 minutes, and she came back to say that I exceeded the MPM (maximum permitted mileage). I forget exactly what happened after that, but I think there was some sort of routing rule that let me bypass the MPM. I wish I could remember the exact details.

On the last day that I could hold the reservation, September 8, I was visiting a friend at UMich, and we were at the tailgate before the game against Oregon (a sad game). I abstained completely from the keg until I called and ticketed it, since I was so afraid I'd drink a bit too much and forget about it all day. But I remembered, and everything was ticketed in a couple of minutes.

So, most of the work was just finding flights with availability on ANA's *A award tool, and then patiently feeding them to UA reservations agents. (And calling back if they balked.)
Old Dec 28, 2007, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

OK, all photos uploaded! Here they are: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqs/col...7603566054642/
Old Dec 29, 2007, 2:47 pm

Programs: Affilated with the orders of I need to rest, doctor's orders!
Excellent trip report! Wow, I didn't even know you could go to so many amazing places in Asia for only 90K award miles. Sounds like that just might be the way I go next year when visiting Asia. ^

Pray tell me how much was your out of pocket expense for say transportation, and food?
Old Dec 29, 2007, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hsxagent
Excellent trip report! Wow, I didn't even know you could go to so many amazing places in Asia for only 90K award miles. Sounds like that just might be the way I go next year when visiting Asia. ^

Pray tell me how much was your out of pocket expense for say transportation, and food?
I was wondering the same when I got home. I added up all of my ATM withdrawals from my bank statement, and when you sum that with the taxes on the award travel, the total is about $180 USD. My first flight was 6 AM on Monday, and my last flight landed at 10 PM Sunday, so that's just about 7 days...so $25 a day.

That seems like a lot to me, since I'm just a poor college student.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjj8
My first flight was 6 AM on Monday, and my last flight landed at 10 PM Sunday, so that's just about 7 days...so $25 a day.
That's VERY impressive!^^^ Big kudos to you!
Old Dec 30, 2007, 3:09 pm

Programs: Affilated with the orders of I need to rest, doctor's orders!
Originally Posted by jjj8
I was wondering the same when I got home. I added up all of my ATM withdrawals from my bank statement, and when you sum that with the taxes on the award travel, the total is about $180 USD. My first flight was 6 AM on Monday, and my last flight landed at 10 PM Sunday, so that's just about 7 days...so $25 a day.

That seems like a lot to me, since I'm just a poor college student.
Well since I won't be buying a pair of crocs. That should bring my daily average to $20 or so a day. I bet I could get it down to $15.

I am trying to recreate the same ITN you did for travel in Apr'08. Right now it isn't going well.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hsxagent
Well since I won't be buying a pair of crocs. That should bring my daily average to $20 or so a day. I bet I could get it down to $15.

I am trying to recreate the same ITN you did for travel in Apr'08. Right now it isn't going well.
Well, if you want to get technical, I paid for the crocs on my credit card. But I do still have TONS of unused foreign currency, which I didn't subtract from that $180 amount. So, it's definitely doable.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 5:45 am

Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat
BKK is a great city spend MORE time there you might like it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.