Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Roll Call Thread Part III - Including Maps of Our Locations in 1st Post

Roll Call Thread Part III - Including Maps of Our Locations in 1st Post

Old Jan 3, 2008, 4:08 am

Programs: Enough to travel better
Happy New Year, everyone

Hello There,

I am new to FT as of 3 days ago. I live in Los Angeles/Hollywood area but I am originally from Hawaii. I am trained as an architect/urban designer. I plan big rail transit projects. I also do research work with the Transportation Research Board so I do my first annual commute from LAX to DCA every January for TRB General meetings. I ride public transportation everyday and design city spaces through my work as a planner/urban designer. I always thought I could outgeek anyone regarding public transit issues but there are many, many other geeks out there who are really good.

Flying has always been in my blood. My parents trained me when I was very young to fly on airlines every week back in Hawaii because air travel was the only means of transportation between the Hawaiian Islands. I think I joined FT because I saw a CBS news feature last Sunday about MRs. I was so enamored. While I don't think I flew to 8 airports and back in one day yet, I certainly admire others who do. I think I am some form of latent MR who would most likely drop everything and fly long haul. The longer the flight the better.

I am so enchanted by this community. I'm glad that I am not the only transportation geek out there besides members of TRB. More importantly, I'm enchanted to discover the GLBT FT community. So I wish all FTs the best in 2008 and I hope to meet all you interesting guys someday on an MR or a DO.

Aloha,

Tonywestsider
Old Jan 3, 2008, 9:29 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

welcome tonywestsider!!!
Old Jan 3, 2008, 1:47 pm

rhg247/Rob/28/ROA/Blacksburg

Hi guys. I can't believe I've been a member here for about a year and hadn't stumbled across the GLBT thread until today. I need to get my nose out the US forum and out into the community more often!

A year ago I popped on to ask a softball of a question about if my dad could use his DM to up me to F on a transcon. Not only did the guys here not call me a n00b and berate me like other forums would, but they actually helped me get everything in line. It's that sense of community that made me stick around. (If I'd known back then that I'd become obsessed with this forum I probably would have picked a better handle )

Anyway, I work for VT as a SysAdmin and travel a couple of times a year for conferences and the like. I also love to travel just to go places. People think I'm nutz when I tell them I'm popping over to SEA b/c I found a $100 fare out of RIC. So now I'm US Plat and it's all y'alls fault! (Keep snide US comments to yourselves -- Until a few years ago it was the only good choice around these parts)

What a monster you've created!!

Have a great new year and I look forward to doing a MR or DO with you guys in the future.

Cheers,
Rob
Old Jan 3, 2008, 4:02 pm

Programs: UAL MM, BA G
Derek/Derek/42/ORD-YUL/Chicago

Hi all. Nice to see the Roll Call thread rolling along....
Old Jan 3, 2008, 7:47 pm

welcome/re-welcome Derek!!!
Old Jan 5, 2008, 12:24 pm

Programs: Enrich, KrisFlyer, Asia Miles, Shangri-La's Golden Circle, Starwood Preferred Guest, Priority Club
Andrew / 37 / PEN / Penang

Hello & greetings everyone!

I'm Andrew, from Penang, Malaysia.

I live in Penang, and a member of MAS Enrich, KrisFlyer, Asia Miles & Shangri-La's Golden Circle Membership.

I was introduced to FlyerTalk by a member of the hotel staff where I was staying, (Traders Kuala Lumpur). I love travelling and meeting people. My other hobbies & interests are photography, cars, reading and collecting watches, (timepieces). I travel quite often and my prefered airlines are MAS and SIA.

Just wanted to say "Hello!"

Last edited by andrew_eu; Jan 5, 2008 at 12:43 pm
Old Jan 5, 2008, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion (FINALLY!); HH Gold; UA Premier
Jesse / 30 / ORD / Chicago/burbs...

re:Hi again everyone!

I have been lurking around for awhile and had almost forgot about this forum, ugh I know. Shame on me, and almost about to lose my portable toaster oven cause of it!

But anyway, Chicago based guy here, working for Hilton Hotels Corp. I've YET to leave the western hemisphere yet ...but it's on my list to do. Mainly fly Delta, with the occasional UA or AC flight here and there.

Hope everyone has a great 2008! And hopefully I'll run into a FTer one of these days!
Old Jan 5, 2008, 2:17 pm

welcome andrew_eu & ORDTravlnGuy!!!!
Old Jan 5, 2008, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
Ian / 36 / NYC / New York

Hey - I hit my 7th of the seven continents by the time I was 33 hence the handle - went to Antarctica just so I could use that as my pick up line (it only works on FTer's) --PS I'm single!
FT is great when my brain isn't working and I can't figure out why my booking isn't working the way I swear it should! Born and living in manhattan my whole life so if I haven't done it I'm certainly willing!
Old Jan 5, 2008, 5:15 pm

welcome 7Continents!!!
Old Jan 6, 2008, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

An update

1. Updated the list with the latest entries till post #54 The summarized list can be found on post #2

2. One year has been added to the age of those who posted last year If your age never changes, send me a PM to have it fixed, literally

3. Derek and ORDTravInGuy, if u are wondering, uve posted in Roll Call Thread II Unfortunately, I didnt keep the post number as the info was summarized from Thread II... But glad that u updated your intro here You are now on the new summarized list and the entries in the old one were deleted to avoid double entry Hopefully, more would do the same by posting again...

4. If u would like to put your location or even a self-pic on the map, do it here If u are posting an intro here, appreciate if u could include the title line or intro line as follows,

First Name/Age/Airport Code/City

Thanks and Happy New Year to All
Old Jan 8, 2008, 4:14 pm

Programs: Alaska-MVP100k; AA-Plat; HH-Diamond; Hertz Pres
Naresh/29/RDU/Morrisville, NC

Long-time FT lurker who delurked not too long ago.
Work brought me to RTP about a year ago from DC. Have continued to stick with US/UA here.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 4:28 pm

Programs: Priceline Titanium
Hey, this is the first thing I get to do as a moderator!

Welcome to the forum, WASBLR! We're glad you delurked.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 10:44 pm

Programs: NW Plat, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
Michael / 39 / LAX+BUR / Los Angeles

I've been on FT now for a little while, just happened to find this corner in the neighborhood!

Went from dirt to Plat on NW last year, thanks in big part to this place.

It kinda started last summer when I got a great deal to go on an RSVP Mediterranean cruise. The best deal we could get on airfare cost us more than the price of the cruise itself! After returning, I vowed to find a better way for next time. My strategy is to take frequent, inexpensive weekend hops as a means to bank miles for taking one or two big trips yearly, FC of course!

Look forward to reading what others are up to in here during my regular visits to FT.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 11:28 pm

Programs: Priceline Titanium
Good to see you and glad you found us, LAXFlyer00! You'll fit right in!

(Check out the threads on upcoming forum gatherings (Gaylas!) in San Francisco and Palm Springs)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.