Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Another 'Which FFP?' Thread

Old Jan 12, 2008, 5:08 am
Original Poster

My son will turn 18 this year and I've offered to pay for a mileage run so he can earn a shiny FFP card of his own.

For the following itinerary, which FFP would be best? He will be flying F to maximize the miles.

HKG-NRT-DEL-NRT-SIN-SYD-AKL-SYD-JFK-LAX-DFW-ANC/SEA-DFW-PHX-LHR-MCT-LHR-CPT-JNB-HKG

My thoughts:
  • BA - The trip should get him to Gold/OW Emerald.
  • CX - The trip will only have him reach Gold/OW Sapphire, but he flies CX the most.
  • QF - Not sure about this program.

Thank you!
Old Jan 12, 2008, 9:28 am

Is he based in HKG? That would be CX's hub so CX might be better in terms of benefits after gaining elite status.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KIXman
Is he based in HKG? That would be CX's hub so CX might be better in terms of benefits after gaining elite status.
Yes but he will be going to the U.S. for university.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 9:54 am

You will reach QF Platinum (OW emerald) after the LAX-DFW flight. That will allow access to all AA lounges, including the Flagship lounges at LAX/ORD/JFK. However, the earn/burn rate in the QF FFP is among the worst. You could then do an AA Platinum challenge for the remaining flights (except PHX-LHR) and earn a bunch of miles.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 10:37 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
What will he be using his card for? That probably decides which programme is the best.

I think he is not looking for award travel. (For award travel, AA is the best, but he cannot use it for non-AA upgrades. If he is flying CX, AA miles cannot be used for upgrades.)

If he wants lounge access:
* AA is the worst. He cannot gets into an OW lounge when traveling domestically.
* BA will put him in the EM category, but if he flies between US and UK, he cannot get BA miles & tier points on AA flights.
* If he can eventually end up in the CX DM tier, then he should go for CX. He has more flexibility when he flies CX, and even when he is flying CX.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Just to clarify, is CX's program the only one that can be linked with Asia Miles?

Also:

BA Gold vs. QF Plat -- any major differences?
Old Jan 12, 2008, 7:26 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
QF platinum earns points when travelling AA trans-atlantic. On some itineraries BA earns status quicker and on others QF earns status quicker.

BA has 2-4-1 which QF does not have.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
QF platinum earns points when travelling AA trans-atlantic. On some itineraries BA earns status quicker and on others QF earns status quicker.

BA has 2-4-1 which QF does not have.
He doesn't fly AA so whether he'll earn points won't be an issue.

If my estimations are correct, QF status is easier to retain, but 2-4-1 is certainly attractive. ^
Old Jan 13, 2008, 10:48 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
With your contacts within CX (which I assume you have considering your CX "Invitation" status), any chance you could ask them to fast track your son's status? Gold status alone would ensure that he would get domestic lounge access in the US. Also sticking with CX means that should anything happen you again can use your contacts higher up the food chain to sort things out.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 11:53 am

It is very unlikely that CX will fast track anyone from nothing to a Gold status. CX does not even often comp people unless they flew CX/KA a lot. They may do that for some corporate deals. It may be easier to ask for special consideration for a DMP member.

The biggest problem for OP's son is that, if nothing can be arranged, it will take him at least 210K miles from nothing to Diamond. Perhaps if his son has already flown CX/KA very frequently before he turns 18, it may be possible for MPC to recognise that and perhaps comp him based on his pre-18 flights.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
It is very unlikely that CX will fast track anyone from nothing to a Gold status. CX does not even often comp people unless they flew CX/KA a lot. They may do that for some corporate deals. It may be easier to ask for special consideration for a DMP member.

The biggest problem for OP's son is that, if nothing can be arranged, it will take him at least 210K miles from nothing to Diamond. Perhaps if his son has already flown CX/KA very frequently before he turns 18, it may be possible for MPC to recognise that and perhaps comp him based on his pre-18 flights.
Whilst unlikely, the OP does have IN status which is granted by CX to a select group of customers - similar to BA Premier and QF Chairman's Lounge. Needless to say, I suspect CX will do what they can. Even a fast track to CX Silver MPC status (OW Ruby) would be a bonus as at the very least it would give lounge when the OP's son travels in economy across the Pacific.

As the OPs son is most likely to travel on CX, considering CX has apparently dropped OW Emeralds to below CX Gold, it might be best for the OP to go for CX Gold if they are largely travelling on CX as opposed to getting Emerald with someone else.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Given your proclomation of flying F a whole lot, I presume you usually fly your son F too? In which case what's the need for status?

If it is for lounge access in the US then just buy an Admirals Club membership, or even give him an Amex Platinum chargecard. I don't think AC staff are going to recognise a HK issued one versus a US based one...if they even care.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by Fraser
Given your proclomation of flying F a whole lot, I presume you usually fly your son F too? In which case what's the need for status?

If it is for lounge access in the US then just buy an Admirals Club membership, or even give him an Amex Platinum chargecard. I don't think AC staff are going to recognise a HK issued one versus a US based one...if they even care.
I am sure OP must have his own reasons. Perhaps his son will be flying J more often than F. Perhaps he like his son to get priority on a full flight (if not on a full fare F). Perhaps he likes his son to get better service from the FAs (OW Fs are still being treated better than non-OW Fs on OW flights).

You are very correct that status is not quite useful if flying F all the time.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 12:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Traveloguy
With your contacts within CX (which I assume you have considering your CX "Invitation" status), any chance you could ask them to fast track your son's status? Gold status alone would ensure that he would get domestic lounge access in the US. Also sticking with CX means that should anything happen you again can use your contacts higher up the food chain to sort things out.
Perhaps from Green to Silver but I doubt anything beyond that.

Originally Posted by Traveloguy
As the OPs son is most likely to travel on CX, considering CX has apparently dropped OW Emeralds to below CX Gold, it might be best for the OP to go for CX Gold if they are largely travelling on CX as opposed to getting Emerald with someone else.
And INs below Diamond Plus!
Old Jan 14, 2008, 12:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fraser
Given your proclomation of flying F a whole lot, I presume you usually fly your son F too?
"Proclomation"?

When he flies solo it is in Business Class.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.