Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Taipei [to Close December 31, 2018] [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2014, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
SPG INSTANT AWARDS

WESTIN EXECUTIVE CLUB LOUNGE
OPENING HOURS 0600-2200
CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST 0630-1000
TEA TIME 1100-1700
HAPPY HOUR 1800-2000
Print Wikipost

Westin Taipei [to Close December 31, 2018] [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2006, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Hey all, I'd be staying in Westin TPE just before X'mas. What should I expect as a preferred guest? (ie. no status??) and how is their breakfast as well?
Old Nov 11, 2006, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Originally Posted by kaka
Hey all, I'd be staying in Westin TPE just before X'mas. What should I expect as a preferred guest? (ie. no status??) and how is their breakfast as well?

1. They treat you nicely, but nothing over the top.

2. Breakfast at the club is nice, but again, nothing exceptional.

It is a pleasant little hotel in TPE, and a nice place to stay.
Old Nov 12, 2006, 12:43 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Wilbur

1. They treat you nicely, but nothing over the top.

2. Breakfast at the club is nice, but again, nothing exceptional.

It is a pleasant little hotel in TPE, and a nice place to stay.
Did you mean the club as club level? or am i missing something?
I've got a choice between breakie in the room or breakie is the rest. How's the one in the room? Thanks.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 9:45 am

Programs: UA, AA, Delta, Marriott and Starwood
Originally Posted by kaka
Where is this hotel in relation to the Grand Hotel? Farther than Yang Ming Shan closer? On the other side of the river by the domestic airport, near Taipei 101?

Anyone?
Old Aug 10, 2007, 4:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier Plat, Hertz 5*, HH Gold
Taipei Westin

Anyone stayed at this property recently? We will be there in December, booked a deluxe guest room. With SPG Gold, any chance of getting upgraded to Exec level?
Old Aug 10, 2007, 5:07 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Will be there in Dec as well, and curious about Plat experiences. We are on Cash & Points.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 6:14 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
I stayed at the Westin Taipei a few weeks ago on a Cash and Points stay of three nights.

As Plat guests, we were very satisfied with every aspect of our stay. We were upgraded to a nice suite on a Club floor. It had a separate living room and bedroom, each with a plasma tv. The bathroom was very well appointed and the shower was fantastic.

There is an excellent Club lounge in this hotel. It is very spacious, and has a few computers with Internet access. They have a very impressive breakfast spread with many Eastern and Western options, hot and cold food. In the evening, they have a happy hour spread that includes pretty significant appetizers. It is open bar all day. Moreover, the lounge staff is knowledgeable and will go out of their way to provide excellent service.

The hotel location was just fine for us. It was a very short walk to the MRT, which we found extremely user friendly, clean and easy to navigate. Taxis are also very cheap, and the doormen will get you a taxi and communicate your destination to the driver. As mentioned elsewhere, be certain to take a hotel address card, which the doorman will usually give to you as you take your outbound cab.

Transport to the airport is easy and inexpensive. There is a bus stop a short walk away, and the front desk staff gave us clear instructions on getting there. The price is very cheap, just a few dollars. We took the EVA bus to the airport, which was quick and efficient.

All in all, it was a model stay at a great property. And with the Cash and Points value, we'd stay there again in an instant.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Just finished a 3 night stay here - one paid, the other two award stays on the 50PRG.

Upgraded to a top floor 2BR suite, with outstanding bath facilities, 2 Plasma TV's, welcome gift of fruit and a few beers. Service personnel were all just outstanding, particularly those in the Exec Lounge.
Breakfast spread included everything under the sun, and was a great way to start the day. (I'm not normally a b'fast guy, either! )

Location was close to MRT, pool and sauna facilities were a great way to wind down after a long day of walking and we ate at the hotel's reccomendation in their Peking Duck restaurant.
The Peking Duck was Outstanding!! and it cost only 1500 NTD, or about 40$ for 2 of us! Too much food, actually.

I'd stay here again in a heartbeat!
Best, Dave
Old May 2, 2008, 11:19 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum
platinum question re free stays

will the westin taipei upgrade platinums on a 3 day free stay? or is it best to make the first night a paid night? planning a stay end of may and would love some advice! thanks so much
Old Jul 9, 2008, 11:41 am

Updated my TR with a short review of this property:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...0&postcount=16

Old Sep 27, 2008, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Do all rooms here offer the Molton Brown toiletries still?
Old Sep 28, 2008, 11:39 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Hi Sky,

The last time I stayed at the property(early this month), my bathroom has M.B products.

[email protected]
Old Oct 10, 2008, 9:53 pm

Just finished the Westin stay about 3 days ago, and they upgraded me to a suite. The bathroom has M.B. amenities, including toothbrush and shaver (they are tucked one corner in the drawer though).

The lounge is quite miserable, and the coffee and service was horrible and I ended up having coffee quite a few times at the Starbucks right next door.

The room is also showing its age, and definitely doesn't feel as comfortable as the Sheraton.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 10:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Forget the Westin, the service is deplorable.

Housekeeping never replenish the soap, toothbrush or MB, and you had to call. They then bring the non-MB products.

Breakfast at the cafe is awful, definitely not the kind of food I expect from 5-star hotel.

Lounge, as mentioned before, the service staff really don't give a damn! They only care about asking your room number, and after that they disappear! Tried to get coffee at the coffee machine myself, but they were filling, and the staff told me to wait 5 mins. After that, they don't bother to inform me that the machine is ready or make me the coffee. I had to ask 10 mins later if the machine was ready.

Btw, the lounge was just me and one other guy. She was more interested in her phone conversation than making me a coffee. Well....
Old Apr 30, 2009, 7:59 pm

Trip Report to Westin Taipei

Before Arrival
Upon checking my reservation details on SPG, the reservation detail did show up and my superior room reservation was upgraded to an Executive Level Suite with Separate Living Room about 2 days before my check-in date ^^^.

On Arrival/Check-in
Arrived in the afternoon in a taxi. The Bellman took the luggage out of the taxi while I directed myself to the check-in area. While at the counter, a welcome drink was presented and a cold towel was offered. The check-in staff welcomed me to the Westin Taipei and said I was upgraded to an executive suite. Presented me the Platinum Amenity card for either the 500 pts, $180NT in-room credit, or one-day in-room internet service (if you have roaming service with ipass, it can be used at this hotel). Took the points.

GuestRoom
The room was part of the atrium part of the tower facing the side of the hotel. Walking into the executive suite, there is a living room with a sofa and single arm chair, business desk with fax/printer combo, mini-bar, and a fairly decent sized plasma TV. Double-doors from the living room led to the bedroom where there was an oversized king-sized bed (really composed on two twin size beds with a king-sized mattress pad on top). I believe these are "heavenly" beds and they were indeed very comfortable and soft. The bed also included very fine comforters, two gigantic oversized pillows, two regular pillows, and 1 throw-pillow.

The bathroom was "marble" tiled with separate deep-soaking tub, and showers. The bathroom came with some random Westin-branded toiletry items, brand images in-line with their LindenSpa on the 9th Floor (not MB as previous posts have experienced).

Executive Lounge
The lounge is on the 2nd floor of the hotel. As previous post stated, the lounge attendants LOVE to ask for room numbers and last names even though I was here for multiple nights. Lounge service includes breakfast, afternoon tea, and happy hour/dinner. Breakfast has a decent-sized spread with mostly Asian hot dishes and one or two Western hot dishes. Lots of fruits, bakery items, and a large selection of drinks.

Afternoon tea comprised of a selection of fruit plates, pastries, and desserts along with the all day beverage service.

Happy Hour/Dinner service includes a salad bar, two to three hot appetizers, fruit plates, patries, desserts, soup bar, and snack trays. At happy hour, the liquor bar is available.

Westin Workout
The fitness center is on the 9th floor of the hotel featuring a decent-sized selections of fitness machines and a separate weights-only room. There is an indoor swimming lap pool and a jacuzzi. Inside the locker rooms there is a sauna, steam room, a jacuzzi pool with a cold plunge pool right next to it.

Restaurants
Tried out the Japanese restaurant on the B1 floor and the Cafe on the lobby floor. The cafe had decent western fare. The Japanese restaurant on the other hand was not very good (I just came from Yokohama a week ago so the review of this restaurant may not be too accurate, comparatively). Did not try the EastWest Buffet but the spread looked decent.

There is a Starbucks right outside the main entrance and an Italian restaurant right next to Starbucks.

The hotel is on Nanking Rd a couple of blocks (5 min walk) to the Nanking E Rd MRT Station on the Muzha Line. Currently, the road in front of the hotel (Nanking E Rd) has a lot of construction because they are building a new MRT line. If you need to get to Taipei Main Station, take bus 307 (costs 15NTpp) in a center island near the hotel and it will take you directly to Taipei Main Station (taking MRT requires a change of lines at the JhongHsiao FuXing Station which takes longer).

Overall
This hotel is a decent hotel in Taipei. Service is pretty good and the rooms are nice.

Having stayed at both the Sheraton Taipei and the Westin Taipei in the same week, I would say the Sheraton is probably a better choice in value, service, and lounge service. See my review of Sheraton at the hotel's master thread.

PM me if you would like more information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.