Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

I have quit my job..I want to see the world! where shall I go?

I have quit my job..I want to see the world! where shall I go?

Old Jan 17, 2008, 9:54 am

Programs: Bowling Team Capt.
Congratulations on having the courage to what you want. I took a year off awhile ago and did a road trip of North America . my suggestion would be to pick the places you really want to go and buld your itinerary around that.

Most of all HAVE FUN!!!

If you make it to the Southeastern US look me up
Old Jan 17, 2008, 10:06 am

Portions of the post that previously appeared in this space have been deleted. I would provide you with a reason why, but doing so would likely be against the TOS.

Last edited by uncertaintraveler; Dec 18, 2008 at 2:57 pm
Old Jan 17, 2008, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
The OP certainly has some places in mind where he absolutely wants (not) to go

The RTW cruise sounds nice but will exceed the budget or at least swallow a big part of it ! Also it doesnt take that long as no RTW cruise I have seen the itinerary from took longer than 9 months.

In my eyes for that purpose Asia and South America are excellent choices ! Your GBP is worth alot at these places and the landscape is fascinating. Add it up with a little bit of Australia, NZ and Tasmania, maybe obtain something like a holiday work visa of some kind if necessary to top up the budget ! If you need it at the end or not, it's good to have the opportunity then.

Enjoy and maybe you do a blog on your trip. Would be nice to read !
Old Jan 17, 2008, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so so much for all your suggestions and help. I have a lot of research to do.

So far I was thinking of spending 6 months and visit as many places as possible in South america. I am doing a TEFL traing at the end of the month with will enable me to teach English anywhere in the world. I thought it might be nice to do this in Asia and again see as many places as possible. then I would like to go Southern Africa it would be a shame to miss it and the safaris, then Australia, New Zealand and Tazimania.

I plan on working where I can and I am in the middle of sorting out working visas. I know I am going to need to pop up my funds but I plan on keep cost down as much as possible and definetly dont mind roughing it.

Yeh I will write a blog it would be interesting to see where I end up. 1-2years is just a pie in the sky. If I can keep going then I will try and keep on travelling for as long as I can.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 2:15 pm

Portions of the post that previously appeared in this space have been deleted. I would provide you with a reason why, but doing so would likely be against the TOS.

Last edited by uncertaintraveler; Dec 18, 2008 at 2:56 pm
Old Jan 17, 2008, 6:17 pm
Suspended

Go work in Cairns, AU for a while. Get your basic dive cert before you go and you can work on a dive boat as a cook or something. That'll give you some pocket change, let you get your dive master cert and meet a ton of people from everywhere. Then move on from there...
Old Jan 17, 2008, 6:28 pm

Programs: Traveling Around from Country to country
I never heard of somebody quiting a job because they want to see the world, I would rather start with a visit to a phsychiatrist than to travel info sites, this requires some really serious evaluation.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DazedandConfused78
I plan on working where I can and I am in the middle of sorting out working visas. I know I am going to need to pop up my funds but I plan on keep cost down as much as possible and definetly dont mind roughing it.
I think you're way too concerned about finances. As long as you're not expecting to travel/live luxuriously, £15k will last you a long time in places like China, Thailand and S. America. In Maracaibo (second city of Venezuela) I was staying in a suite (admittedly, the "suite" designation was mostly alluding to the size of the room and not its extravagance) for less than £30 a day, including the breakfast. It'd be pretty easy to halve that staying in a single room at a 2* hotel (and that's not really seriously "roughing it", either), and prices are similar across most of S. America. An ice cold can of strong lager was around 18p in CCS.
Obviously, you'd need to find a way of making some cash if you were to perpetually keep travelling, but £15000 is quite a lot of money indeed for most people on this planet!
Old Jan 17, 2008, 7:25 pm

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
Originally Posted by travelpro2008
I never heard of somebody quiting a job because they want to see the world, I would rather start with a visit to a phsychiatrist than to travel info sites, this requires some really serious evaluation.

If the OP has the budget and courage to do it, more power to her/him.

"Remember, if you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller.

I guess I was nuts to quit my job and move to ski country too. However, can't afford a psychiatrist, need to get new carving skis to round out the quiver along with the mid-fats, and powder skis.

OP - go for it as long as you're not risking taking care of true responsibilities to family. Don't worry about the work/career thing - your travels may open new doors to you in directions you never knew you wanted to explore.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I'd be following in your tracks if I were 40 years younger and 40 pounds lighter. Did my trek 40 years ago and it was great.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 9:40 pm
Suspended

Garaps had some good advice on finances. I wish I was in your position. That said, I'd work first and travel third. By that, I mean do your visiting of first world countries as places that you stop to work and then travel in places where the cost of living is much lower. I'd put some thought into places you really wanted to go and get an idea of an overall 'itinerary'. Make sure to plan to document your travels with a journal and pictures.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
I'd say, go to Australia, go to Sydney, find a place called Kings Cross and buy a used van off another backpacker for a few hundred dollars. travel around the country 6 months and scuba the reef or hike around the outback and enjoy it. Then head to NZ South Island for 3-4 weeks, see what they know and then end up somewhere in SE Asia for a while and let your stuff get stolen. There's a bar out there called "The 4 floors of wh0res" and you could probably have some fun in there as well! (sorry I loved it when I heard that name!)

then come back, write about it, make money on the book and never push pencils in cubicles again!

woo hoo!
MM
Old Jan 17, 2008, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by MarkXS

If the OP has the budget and courage to do it, more power to her/him.

"Remember, if you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller.

I guess I was nuts to quit my job and move to ski country too. However, can't afford a psychiatrist, need to get new carving skis to round out the quiver along with the mid-fats, and powder skis.

OP - go for it as long as you're not risking taking care of true responsibilities to family. Don't worry about the work/career thing - your travels may open new doors to you in directions you never knew you wanted to explore.
well said! I love the WM quote too--use it often myself.

get Stockli skis...
great in every condition!

and yeah, I think quitting a JOB to LIVE is precisely what many of us ought to do! Staying in some nowhere dead end gig listening to someone else talk down at you all day like in the movie, Office Space is the real crazy way of exisistence, isnt it? Break out, man!
Old Jan 18, 2008, 1:39 am
PJK

Programs: KL/AF FB Plat, Hilton Silver, La Quinta Gold
I also did it once and it GREATLY improved my life. Travelpro2008, maybe YOU should consider it too!
Old Jan 18, 2008, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

I strongly believe that LIFE is not about the acquisition of material goods or money, Its about the acquisition of great memories!! Many old people would rather have great stories to tell their great grand kids, not obsolete goods to give to them when their time on earth is up.
I think life is tooo short to spend it struggling to pay bills. I figured that I didnt come on this earth hankering for the grind of a 9-5 existence or to taste the exhiliration of a traffic jams or the delights of getting to 90 and regretting on having taken more risks.

I am 29 and I know the older I get the harder it would be to live this dream, so why not do it now, if not now then when?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.