Community
Wiki Posts
Search

100,000 Miles in 45 Days Renting Cars

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2008, 5:16 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by Mrp Alert
That was a great conversation, but too quick given the time of day. Maybe I get a bit carried away at times, but this game is really a lot of fun.
It almost sounds like you are apologizing for something... DON'T YOU DARE! It would be like Tiger Woods saying "I'm sorry for spending so much time on the golf course. I will try to do better."

GET CARRIED AWAY (not shouting.. emphatic... excited.. encouraging).

Occasionally an FTer will show some signs of apologetic embarrassment for engaging in this game. I call it a hobby. If I spent 9 hours on Sunday watching sports games; jumped on planes paying last-minute fares to buy overpriced scalped tickets; missed my kids concert because of a playoff game; planned my vacations around the team's season schedule; or had two TVs in one room showing simultaneous satellite feeds; I would be called a "fan" and not "OCD". Don't get me wrong. I see nothing wrong with sports being an extreme hobby. I just resent it sometimes that my hobby is looked at as "weird" or "obsessive" by some.

There are many worse activities one could engage in on the internet while updating spreadsheets and chatting with strangers. My net hobby gets me trips all over the world and not a visit from Dateline or an intervention on Dr. Phil.

Mrp Alert, you are my hero. Your posts are informative and enthusiastic. You post in full sentences using punctuation and proper capitalization. You are succinct but informative. You make this game more fun! Will you be my father?
It's ok to spread the love around as long as you can keep track of your programs and redeem your miles before they expire. I have over 500,000 miles spread between different programs. This gives me flexibility when I need a last minute award tickets or want an upgrade award or a specific routing. If airline A in does not have availability, perhaps airline B does, or maybe airline C, etc. It usually works out perfectly.
Well put. "Consolidation" is the first word out of every miles-advice-giving blogger but it should be noted that consolidation should be paramount for anyone who is new to the miles/points game or someone who travels occasionally or rarely. There is a lot to be said for diversification. I too have miles spread over many accounts. True, I concentrate on DL. But when a good promo comes along for a program where I have less activity I take it! I can return to stuffing my DL stocking when a promo ends and there is no other promo that works for my travel requirements. Often exploiting a program on which I use rarely through a promo will keep my existing miles/points from expiring as well as eventually adding up!
You can repeat the CO offer as many times as possible, but all rentals must be completed by Jan 31. IIRC, the Delta offer is good until March 31. As mentioned by Evan!, you can't combine two offers on one rental. Finally, ATL is expensive for rental cars at the airport, but you may want to check off-airport locations.
Slight correction. Budget's Delta promotion is good through March 30.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 8:49 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
I have reserved back to back rental with drop off and pick ups the same day. That way I do not have to drive two cars back and forth to the airport. Is there any problem that I could experience doing this?
Old Jan 18, 2008, 9:08 am

Isn't there a credit card that gives you elite status with the rental car companies? I seem to remember something like that with my Amex Plat or Chairman M/C.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 4:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
TalkMail Typo

I am aware of the typo in the TalkMail and did post a request for a correction in the Technical Issues forum. For the record, the Aveo had a lingering methane odor on the cloth interior when I received it. All other vehicles have been methane free.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Well I got sick and forgot to pick up 2 vehiceles this weekend. I am making up for this but at a slightly higher cost which has driven me up my CPM. I am hoping for a slow weekend to cause a last minute price drop which will get me back on track. Additionally, I face a firm deadline to get this done as I am going out of the country on February 2. I may have to get a bit more creative with my volume of rentals per weekend to decrease my CPM. No matter how you slice it, this is beginning to get a bit stressful, but the RDMs will be worth it.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 7:41 pm
RLG

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat, UA Silver, AS MVP, HA premier
Originally Posted by MileKing
While I find this an interesting (and entertaining) idea, and applaud you for your resourcefulness, the promos don't provide enough value in my view. Your anticipated results of 1.14-1.25 cpm is more than I would pay outright for miles, not including the hassles and time involved in jockeying cars around.
I also think this is very creative, but I am also not following the math.

The OP could trade for the CO/NW miles he needs over in CC at about the same cost. That would be a lot less hassle and time than doing the rental cars. Why not just do that?

Note I'm referring to renting cars that are unneeded and just being parked to get miles. Someone who needs to rent a car anyway isn't paying 1.25 cents per mile.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 8:42 pm

Programs: TK/QR Gold, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, Avis/Hertz PC
This is too much work, though it does remind me of my 23-day Avis Connect promo run last August...the only effort I had to make though, was to drive 40 miles out of my way to rent from SFO. 5 consecutive Avis rentals got me a total of:

126K DL miles (already redeemed in a 140K LAX-SIN-BOM RT in SQ F )
1K SQ miles
1343 SPG points

Total cost $1343 (at ~1.05 cpm), out of which I would have spent ~$600 anyway for a rental from a cheaper location during that time.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 8:59 pm

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by Savage25
... Total cost $1343 (at ~1.05 cpm), out of which I would have spent ~$600 anyway for a rental from a cheaper location during that time.
So does this mean you consider the cost 1.05 cpm or ($1343-$600)/128,343 miles = 0.57 cpm?

Whenever I calculate the cost of miles I only use the incremental amount I might spend to get the bonus. But then again I don't do lap dances. I rent for biz and when home out of necessity. So if I get 9,999 miles but pay $40 more than I would have paid I consider my cost per mile to be $40/9,999 miles = 0.4 cpm.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 9:09 pm
RLG

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat, UA Silver, AS MVP, HA premier
Originally Posted by Evan!
Whenever I calculate the cost of miles I only use the incremental amount I might spend to get the bonus... So if I get 9,999 miles but pay $40 more than I would have paid I consider my cost per mile to be $40/9,999 miles = 0.4 cpm.
I agree that you should only count the incremental cost. (If you didn't need the car at all, it's all incremental.)

However, don't forget to only count the incremental miles. For example, suppose you would have gotten 1k miles at the lowest rental cost. That would make your cost per mile $40/(9999-1000) =.44 cpm.

If I could do .44 cpm without significant investment of time (e.g. I was renting a car anyway) I would do that all day.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 10:40 pm

Programs: TK/QR Gold, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, Avis/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Evan!
So does this mean you consider the cost 1.05 cpm or ($1343-$600)/128,343 miles = 0.57 cpm?
With my SQ F award, I really don't care either way
Old Jan 21, 2008, 2:05 am
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (probably driving while typing: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by RLG
Originally Posted by MileKing
While I find this an interesting (and entertaining) idea, and applaud you for your resourcefulness, the promos don't provide enough value in my view. Your anticipated results of 1.14-1.25 cpm is more than I would pay outright for miles, not including the hassles and time involved in jockeying cars around.
I also think this is very creative, but I am also not following the math.

The OP could trade for the CO/NW miles he needs over in CC at about the same cost. That would be a lot less hassle and time than doing the rental cars. Why not just do that?

Note I'm referring to renting cars that are unneeded and just being parked to get miles. Someone who needs to rent a car anyway isn't paying 1.25 cents per mile.
In the past year, I have burned 200,000 miles. This is one of my methods for replenishing my bd, vs, co, and dl accounts. As cash trades are prohibited, I fail to see how I can trade for these on cc. On the other hand, these miles will be redeemed at 5-10 cpm which is a worthwhile return on my investment.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 8:17 pm

National serviced by Europcar in Portugal

Does a 3 day rental in Portugal count for this NW promotion?
Old Jan 23, 2008, 6:01 am

Programs: A.A Korean, JAL, Delta,
Where can I find a basic math analysis of FFmiles.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Am I missing something or were these 100k miles pread over several programms ?

Its a nice amount but in small portions I m not sure if its worth the hassle
Old Jan 24, 2008, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Am I missing something or were these 100k miles pread over several programms ?

Its a nice amount but in small portions I m not sure if its worth the hassle
They are being used to top off several programs as I still have in excess of 750k spread accross different programs. In the past year, I burned a lot of miles. Barring some more UA Y-UP fares, this is the easiest way to replenish my accounts. I am not able to fly nearly as often as I once could and presently am unable to rack up a bunch of credit inquiries.

Originally Posted by rdp9246
Where can I find a basic math analysis of FFmiles.
Randy Petersen, founder of flyertalk.com, published a great book on this subject called Mileage Pro.

Last edited by Mrp Alert; Jan 24, 2008 at 3:55 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.