Wiki Posts
Search

Ask the Front Office Manager

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2008, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG
Ask the Front Office Manager

Well, I guess it's my turn to answer your questions after I asked you all some things and received excellent feedback.

I'm currently the FOM of a mid-sized Four Points, but have Starwood training for Westin and Sheraton procedures. I've also held a few different positions within Starwood (housekeeping included) as well as with Intercontinental Hotels. If you want a better idea of how things work (or don't work ) at a property level i'm willing to do my best to answer any questions that you may have. It's a rare occasion that we get to communicate in such an open environment, and I'm sure this will open up the floodgates of discussion.

As always, if you've got anything you don't want discussed in the thread feel free to shoot me a PM.

Thanks,
FPHG

PS: Idea stolen from this thread, which already has some great discussion going.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 2:13 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Here is one for you that I'm sure all Platinum members would like to know.

Say you have four standard suites to give away as complimentary upgrades, but you have seven Platinum members arriving on the same day around the same time. How does your hotel determine who gets upgraded to a standard suite and who just gets the best room available at check-in?

Sorry for playing devil's advocate, but you did ask.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Feb 13, 2008, 2:16 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
William is evil hehehe!
Old Feb 13, 2008, 2:19 pm

Programs: MR Plat, AA EXP, Hertz Presidents Club, SPG Plat
I would love to hear the answer on this one.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 2:20 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
There are other Starwood hotel managers, of both Starwood-owned & franchise props, that do post here. Maybe this thread will "out" a few of them so our good Mr. 4Points doesn't feel so alone in what surely will be a "lively" exchange.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 2:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
I can take a stab at it...

I am a former FOM (Marriott, though!), here's how I'd handle it:

1) Consult the SOP manual and follow the instructions
2) If there are none, all things else being equal, I'd assign them in rate order, i.e. the highest rates get the upgrades.

How'd I do, William?
Old Feb 13, 2008, 2:32 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by rrz518
...How'd I do, William?
LOL. I don't know. I've never worked at any hotel or resort, so I wouldn't have a clue. That's why I asked.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Feb 13, 2008, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
LOL. I don't know. I've never worked at any hotel or resort, so I wouldn't have a clue. That's why I asked.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Shucks, this is an easy one.

I've got two answers for you.

1) At least once a day someone (SPG champion, front desk, depending on the property...it will vary) will run an SPG Upgrade report. This report is generated by some cool software that does all of the work for us. To quote the report:
The following report lists arriving SPG members by arrival date and level in priority order for the purpose of room upgrade delivery. All should be upgraded appropriately where possible. If upgrades are limited, use this report to prioritize.
Get this in most agent's hands and they will start at the top of the report and work their way down.

2) I'm going to give you the answer you all probably expected. If you stay with me every week, you're more than likely going to receive a suite. We (as you all know) treat loyal platinum guests very well at our properties and that is reflected with upgrades. Most of you stay at the same property week after week and we try our best to bring you back. Loyalty is our friend.

As far as I know, and I am probably wrong, there is no clear SOP for upgrading Platinum guests at a Starwood level. From what I can tell you it is property dependant.

Edited to say: I've seen upgrades done by rate, by point balance (which, to me never made any sense as it's not indicative of anything), by number of stays per year, and just randomly. It really does vary.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Here is one for you that I'm sure all Platinum members would like to know.

Say you have four standard suites to give away as complimentary upgrades, but you have seven Platinum members arriving on the same day around the same time. How does your hotel determine who gets upgraded to a standard suite and who just gets the best room available at check-in?

Sorry for playing devil's advocate, but you did ask.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
You give one suite to CheapElite and let the plats fight it out.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
You give one suite to CheapElite and let the plats fight it out.
This reminds me that I did forget to mention that VIP Preferred members get first dibs on suites during pre-blocking.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 5:22 pm

Programs: Mucci (for services to Gin), VS Au, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis Pref+, Hertz 5*
As a lowly Gold slated to make Plat in about 2 months time I'm looking forward to a noticeable difference in "upgrades". I know I shouldn't expect upgrades and really I don't but I am intrigued to know what benefits you extend to your gold members.

I've had various experiences with regards to upgrades and currently I stay every other week at a single SPG property and never get an upgrade. I ask, politely and am told that I'm being put on a high floor (which is usually specified in the room type I select at booking anyway) and that constitutes an upgrade.

Once I had someone bring water to my room for free and another time I received a tube of minty Bliss lip balm. Those seem to be the extent of my upgrades as a gold member.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by rrz518
I am a former FOM (Marriott, though!), here's how I'd handle it:

1) Consult the SOP manual and follow the instructions
2) If there are none, all things else being equal, I'd assign them in rate order, i.e. the highest rates get the upgrades.

How'd I do, William?
your step 2 should really come after repeats
Old Feb 13, 2008, 6:26 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by socrates
your step 2 should really come after repeats
I would think length of stay is more important then rate, a one night stay versus a week then I would work by rate.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tony2x
As a lowly Gold slated to make Plat in about 2 months time I'm looking forward to a noticeable difference in "upgrades". I know I shouldn't expect upgrades and really I don't but I am intrigued to know what benefits you extend to your gold members.

I've had various experiences with regards to upgrades and currently I stay every other week at a single SPG property and never get an upgrade. I ask, politely and am told that I'm being put on a high floor (which is usually specified in the room type I select at booking anyway) and that constitutes an upgrade.
Hi Tony,

As a gold you can expect your upgrade to vary from a room with a better view, club floor, high floor, maybe a larger floorplan, or even if when you booked there were no kings available and they hook you up with a king.

I value my golds as they make up the bulk of my SPG business.

Though its generally not recommended by Starwood, I will put Gold members into suites if they are all I have to sell that night (after plats are upgraded) to open up the easier-to-sell traditional rooms.

Hope that helps!

FPHG
Old Feb 13, 2008, 10:14 pm

Programs: Mucci (for services to Gin), VS Au, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis Pref+, Hertz 5*
Do you fancy taking a job as FOM at the Westin in Seattle?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.