Wiki Posts
Search

Voting Completed - Motion Failed: Include OMNI posts in Post Counts

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2008, 2:06 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
I've forgotten nothing. IB has kept Randy on board to manage/run things. This does not invalidate the fact that he is now under IB's jurisdiction. IB has the ultimate say in how this board is managed now that they own it.
Wishful thinking, 'mafraid. You'll find in a quick search of the boards that the nature of the sale contract contradicts you. @:-)

Now, as we're both busy students, I'm sure you'll understand that I have my own homework to do and so I must needs bid you a fond "g'day" from the tower for now.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 2:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by essxjay
Wishful thinking, 'mafraid. You'll find in a quick search of the boards that the nature of the sale contract contradicts you. @:-)
I'm afraid you'll need to revisit some contract law in order to appreciate what I'm saying. @:-)
Old Feb 19, 2008, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
However, unasked-for advice once a decision has been announced and justified borders on badgering.
Especially since he just reinforced his position on that decision yesterday.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 2:12 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Given the magnitude of the ramification (of excising non-US programs from FT) in your hypothetical, of course.

As for the current motion being "quite proper?" No, it's not. (IMHO.) Just because TB Guidelines permit that such a motion can be made, doesn't mean it should have been. Just my 2FFMW ... my judgment call about your judgment call. :shrug:
I'll be honest with ya: I SERIOUSLY considered making a motion that 'The TB approves of Randy's implementation of the policy of not counting OMNI posts...'

Such a motion, had it been seconded, would have put the super-majority burden firmly on the side of advising Randy that the TB APPROVED of his implementation of this policy. Naturally I would have then voted AGAINST this motion in the hope if it failing. @:-)

But I decided the more honorable thing to do was to give Randy's decision the benefit of the doubt by putting the super-majority burden on the side of asking Randy to reconsider his decision, such that even if a super-minority of the members of the TB agree with Randy's decision then the TB agrees with Randy's decision.

So....I dunno. I feel like the TB ought to be on the record about this decision whether we're consulted about it or not and that given the options this motion gives Randy's decision maximum respect and benefit of the doubt.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by tazi
Especially since he just reinforced his position on that decision yesterday.
Would you be so vocal about dissent if Randy had come down on the side of posts counting and other people were complaining to the contrary?

Anyhow, I am happy to see that the motion is there for the TalkBoard to address. I am also happy that some members of the TalkBoard don't see themselves as a megaphone/sounding board for whatever Randy decides.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 3:41 pm
J-M
Suspended

Originally Posted by nroscoe
so Randy has reaffirmed his current decision to enforce the decision of not counting post counts. I assume this means the TB vote & this discussion is a moot point?
It's never a moot point to take a vote and get the TB members on the record. We've already learned some very interesting stances of a couple of TB members in this thread. I think it's important for the members who elected them to see how they vote on a very controversial issue.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 3:43 pm
J-M
Suspended

Originally Posted by tazi
I am a member and my input says to support Randy's decision. After reading through this thread it seems I am not alone, yet you and others here believe the TB representatives are not considering member input unless they agree with you. A little one-sided don't you think?
You're very much misinterpreting the posts that have been made by a certain TB member, as well as the posts made by me. TB members should vote for whatever the members who elected them want. If the majority of members want something different than I do, then fine... that's the enitre point of elected representatives. Just because you happen to agree with Randy on this one does not mean that certain TB members are voting on "member input", rather that in this particular case them voting blindly for whatever Randy wants happens to line up with your view.

Spiff has gone on record in this thread saying that, outside of a "colossal blunder", he would never go against Randy. That is no where near "considering member input".
Old Feb 19, 2008, 4:01 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
Original Poster

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by J-M
You're very much misinterpreting the posts that have been made by a certain TB member, as well as the posts made by me. TB members should vote for whatever the members who elected them want. If the majority of members want something different than I do, then fine... that's the enitre point of elected representatives. Just because you happen to agree with Randy on this one does not mean that certain TB members are voting on "member input", rather that in this particular case them voting blindly for whatever Randy wants happens to line up with your view.

Spiff has gone on record in this thread saying that, outside of a "colossal blunder", he would never go against Randy. That is no where near "considering member input".
Blah, blah, blah...

I'm not so rude as to presume to tell Randy (our host, as you seem to have forgotten) that his decision to do something relatively trivial like removing Omni post counts is a poor one and that how dare he do so without consulting Certain Members of the Community. Does he not know Who They Are?

Don't worry, J-M. Your input is very important.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 4:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by Spiff
Blah, blah, blah...
The feeling, Spiff, is mutual.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 4:26 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Spiff

I'm not so rude as to presume to tell Randy...
Providing feedback isn't rude, it's our job. The job HE PERSONALLY assigned to the TalkBoard. Why are you so rude to question his judgment for having done so?

Other TalkBoard member may feel differently.

But to be clear, you are not voting on this issue based on the merits of the question of whether you think OMNI votes ought to count or not based on what you see to be the best interests of Flyertalk, but rather on the basis of not wanting to be 'rude' to Randy?
Old Feb 19, 2008, 4:37 pm
In Memoriam

meanwhile, the posts in this thread count
Old Feb 19, 2008, 4:54 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Providing feedback isn't rude, it's our job.
Providing feedback is TB's job. It can be done either tactfully or rudely. Holding an extended discussion and developing a concensus before pulling the trigger on a vote would be more tactful and more likely to produce a favorable result, IMHO.

If I were on the TB I would only make a formal proposal when I was very confident it would win approval easily. Close votes on contentious issues create stress on the TB and could make future work more difficult. For example, by leading one group of members to reflexively oppose the proposals of another group of members. That sort of nonsense is harmful to the TB and FT.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 5:17 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
Original Poster

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by kokonutz
But to be clear, you are not voting on this issue based on the merits of the question of whether you think OMNI votes ought to count or not based on what you see to be the best interests of Flyertalk, but rather on the basis of not wanting to be 'rude' to Randy?
Incorrect.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 6:04 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by underpressure
meanwhile, the posts in this thread count
Hmmmm.... post padding
Old Feb 19, 2008, 7:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
About post counts.

I went into this debate with a very open mind and no particularly strong feelings about OMNI post counts (or any other post counts) one way or the other.

Having read all of your most edifying comments, thank you very much, I am leaning more toward counting all posts.

Seriously, what do post counts tell us about an individual FlyerTalker?

Despite the passion that the "Y" chromosone instills for counting and measuring stuff, I really can't believe that anybody equates the number of post counts with frequent flyer knowledge, or anything else that is faster, bigger, or better.

All the post count really tells us is how active a member has been on, and how committed a member is to, FlyerTalk. Does it matter if a member prefers to hang out in Community, OMNI, Coupon Connection, Delta, TSA or the GLBT forum? All a high post count says to me is that a member loves FlyerTalk and spends a lot of time chilling in the FlyerTalk Community of his/her choice.

I have been around since the very early days and, believe me, there never has been (and I doubt ever will be) a time when FlyerTalk was just about miles and points. If it were just about miles and points, I can't believe that any of us would still be checking in, several times a day, after nearly a decade.

Sure miles and points are a common interest that we share, but not our only interest. We are a small group (I would guess somewhere in the neighborhood of 3,000 active members) who together make up a very real, vital, growing, often loving, and sometimes confrontational community. We are silly, amazingly smart, messy, disorganized, ridiculously generous, and sometimes we even get mad. Just like real life.

Every one of us and every one of our posts, whether they be smilies, gifts of upgrades, parties, or even adding numbers, all work together to build our extraordinary and wonderful community, and every one of us and every one of our ideas, and our posts counts, no matter what Randy may or may not decide to do with the official ticker.

Last edited by Punki; Feb 19, 2008 at 8:06 pm Reason: sp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.