Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin America to expand?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2008, 5:11 pm

Programs: VX, UA 2P
-- Sorry to dig up such an old discussion... I thought this news would be interesting to some ppl here. And although Branson is not technically in control of VX, it is interesting to note where he stands on the hub & spoke model:

...Branson does not accept that idea. Virgin, he says, can succeed where discount and traditional carriers have failed, by offering something different: a hybrid that delivers good service at a reasonable price and eliminates the hub-and-spoke approach that creates mayhem whenever the weather sours.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...731888,00.html
Old Apr 17, 2008, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Thanks for the article. I would note this:

That's why, for example, Virgin America does not plan to have more than 100 planes--limiting itself in the first five years to the 30 largest U.S. cities, those that attract both business and leisure travelers, particularly the young creative types who identify with the Virgin brand. Don't expect Virgin on the Pittsburgh-Indianapolis run. "They will be very sad," Branson says of the passed-by places. "That will be part of the discipline of our company. Our model will not work for every city."
Picking out from the top MSAs...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...ropolitan_area

MIA, ORD, and DFW seem like pretty logical ones to me. Especially since I bet there are a LOT of pissed off AA customers who would be ripe to switch loyalties...
Old Apr 17, 2008, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by vardy50
They've just added a third NS starting mid May. I thought it was strange that my upcoming IAD-SFO flight was now leaving at 8:45 (vs the old 7:35) but saw that a few weeks later they've added a 5:15 outbound. That's great news as with only 2 flights a day it was difficult to switch from UA.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by nermaljcat
Looks like the Los Angeles - San Jose del Cabo, Mexico route VX applied for has been awarded to UA. I'm guessing they have more "friends" in the DOT.
Hardly. The DOT needed to provide authority to the applying carrier that could provide the most public benefit from starting service.

With a large presence at LAX for both O&D as well as connectivity, UA was clearly the superior choice to VX for this route.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 3:14 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, United Mileage Plus & bmi Diamond Club
Originally Posted by aviators99
Looks like they will be auctioning slots at LGA. If another NYC airport is important to VX (and I don't think it should be), perhaps that can help.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=813522
Originally Posted by aviators99
There was talk of some east coast corridor flights at one point, so it might help.
Then surely consolidating on JFK makes more sense than separating out destinations to different airports. LGA makes it hard for VX since it's based on the west coast...

Originally Posted by EIPremier
I think the idea was to provide feed from Virgin Atlantic (VS) flights. VS flies to JFK, EWR, IAD, MIA, MCO along the eastern seaboard.

Currently, VS has a codeshare agreement with CO out of EWR for onward flights to selected destinations. So, I don't really see what is the point in Virgin America starting service at EWR, unless VS wants to discontinue that codeshare agreement.

Flying SFO-EWR doesn't make much sense, since they will be competing with UA and CO, and besides, VS flies from London to both EWR and SFO, so it doesn't really do anything for them either.

Regarding JFK, I'm not convinced JFK is any better in terms of delays than EWR, but certainly adding another delay prone airport to the route map is not going to help VX operationally.
Continental/Virgin Atlantic relations must be up in the air since they're now competing on routes out of LHR. The whole point was to get the VS code on US domestics & the CO code into Heathrow. Now the deal is onesided.

I'm sure EWR is in the pipeline but way waaaaaay down the line. In the same way the B6 built up JFK ops & then confronted Newark I expect Virgin to.

Originally Posted by nermaljcat
Looks like the Los Angeles - San Jose del Cabo, Mexico route VX applied for has been awarded to UA. I'm guessing they have more "friends" in the DOT.
Hardly surprising though. A long time established carrier with large frequent flier base, *A membership & sturdy feet vs. a new kid on the block with a small fleet, cool interiors with lights that change, comparably non-existant frequent flier base & on thin ice....?
Old Apr 21, 2008, 6:29 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, eleVAte, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt, Hilton, etc.
Customer Service contact info???

I flew on my first VX flight last week and loved it.

I'm now beginning a six month adventure from SEA-ORD weekly. If VX had service to ORD, I'd be giving them a lot of money!

Does anyone have any contact information for customer service or corporate? I'd like to drop a note to them.

(VX and other airlines are looking a lot better now since my favored airline UA is now charging $150 to change a flight - unbelieveable.)

Thanks!
Colby
Old Apr 21, 2008, 8:35 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by seakobi
Does anyone have any contact information for customer service or corporate? I'd like to drop a note to them.
[email protected]

or

1 877 FLY VIRGIN (follow the prompts to request "Guest Care")
Old Apr 21, 2008, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(threadjack)

You know, Alaska doesn't charge change fees for MVP Gold, and they fly SEA-ORD multiple times daily. They might do a status match, and the mileage plan is pretty good at giving you options on using miles (some Skyteam and oneWorld).

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread already in progress...
Old Apr 22, 2008, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Originally Posted by seakobi
I flew on my first VX flight last week and loved it.

I'm now beginning a six month adventure from SEA-ORD weekly. If VX had service to ORD, I'd be giving them a lot of money!

Thanks!
Colby
(threadjack)

You know, Alaska doesn't charge change fees for MVP Gold, and they fly SEA-ORD multiple times daily. They might do a status match, and the mileage plan is pretty good at giving you options on using miles (some Skyteam and oneWorld).

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread already in progress...
This looks like fun

Not only is AS fending off VX with The West Most™ Schedule and doling out various awards like a free car, and double miles, we're now promoting SEA-ORD service in the VX forum!

Seriously, it might be an interesting thing to look into if you want flexibility in your tickets, and the ancillary complimentary upgrade or two...
Old Apr 22, 2008, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, VX isn't doing SEA-ORD... yet.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 5:16 pm

Enough Waiting Already!

I'm tired of waiting, will VX please announce SFO-MIA!! I've got cruises I need to book and I need to know!!
Old Apr 22, 2008, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Phamer55
I'm tired of waiting, will VX please announce SFO-MIA!! I've got cruises I need to book and I need to know!!
Apparently, it's not about you!!!
Old Apr 22, 2008, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by formeraa
Originally Posted by Phamer55
Apparently, it's not about you!!!
lol!

Pharmer55: when are your cruises booked for? If they announced tomorrow, it would still take a while before they actually launched it. You could always fly to JFK and connect to MIA if you really want to factor VX into your itinerary. Would likely cost you more time/money though.

VX are hiring in MIA, which is a good sign... and they currently do not have any new destinations on their map, which I hope is a sign that they will add at least one more soon...

OTOH you have oil prices and the economy which may be causing them to pay it safe and not expand, but playing it safe doesn't appear to be the Virgin way to do things. And having more destination should increase loads on existing routes (connecting pax).

Any of the more knowledgeable and experienced FT'ers have some informed speculation they wish to share with us. I'm sure others are also hanging out for some expansion news/ideas/discussion
Old Apr 22, 2008, 10:30 pm

Cruises

Royal Caribbean just announced their cruise itineraries for the May 2009 - Apr 2010 timeframe. I'm looking to book a cruise for Nov 2009. I like to book early to lock in my prices. Unlike the airline industry, if you book early, and the price goes up, you get to keep your lower price. But if the price goes down, you can get the new lower price (with no change fee!). With a fully refundable deposit (up to final payment), there's no risk, except the cruise line holds your deposit. Anyway, I'd like to book before the end of the month before prices are going up (they've announced a fuel surchage increase that goes into effect May 1). Anyway, I can choose a cruise between Port Canaveral (would use Jet Blue) or Miami (would use VX). It just would be nice to know if VX is going to go to Miami. Of course, November 2009 is a long way off so there's plenty of time. I prefer the cruise out of Port Canaveral, but VX could sway my decision. I may just book the Port Canaveral cruise for now with the option of cancelling it and switching it to Miami later.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 5:14 pm

New SFO-JFK flight added

Fifth SFO-JFK NS added June 10th. With the new third SFO-IAD flight added in mid-May it looks like their strategy is to add flights to compete w/ UAL etc with a more frequent schedule. Now if they only had E+......

Last edited by vardy50; Apr 23, 2008 at 5:15 pm Reason: NYC to JFK

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.