Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel Goldener Hirsch, Luxury Collection, Salzburg, Austria [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Goldener Hirsch, Luxury Collection, Salzburg, Austria [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2007, 8:15 am

Programs: Hyatt GP, SPG Gold, HH Gold, IC Amb.
I stayed at the GH in May 2007 and we loved it! We had a Festival wing room which has a very "Country Inn" feel to it. Each room is different and the hotel has amazing character. I agree about all of the quirks with a myriad of hallways and staircases. The Festival rooms we had were at the back of the hotel looking out over where you park your car (If you have one). The rooms at the front face over the very busy pedestrian area. The hotel is perfectly located for walking everywhere in Old Town. The Festival rooms are the most recently remodeled and have large bathrooms. I believe they do have a separate shower and tub. Book one of these rooms and I guarantee that you will remember it for a long time!
Old Oct 2, 2007, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by broadwayboy
I have a question for those who've stayed at Goldener Hirsch.

What is the difference between Classic, Exclusive and Festival Rooms? Is the Festival Room a duplex space? Is there a tub and a separate shower in the Festival room?

There are some reviews on tripadvisor that mentioned there are guestrooms located ACROSS the street from the main hotel. What room types are those?
I don't know what the difference is between room types. I had festival rooms and I believe I had to use a few extra Starpoints to make sure I got them. I might have been upgraded as a Platinum but didn't want to risk it. I had two rooms.

Both rooms had separate showers and tubs. I think they both had queen beds and were large enough to have a sitting area with a small couch and chairs as well as a separate desk. The rooms connected with each other and faced the back of the building.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 11:17 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Was at the Goldener Hirsch last week. Upgraded to festival room (was offered a suite but it wasn't available until another hour and wife wanted to check-in asap). Nice hotel and will definitely come back to it.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 10:57 am

Best Way to the Hotel?

We'll be arriving in Salzburg tomorrow via train. What is the best way to Goldener Hirsch? My understanding is that the hotel is located in a pedestrian street. How would a taxi go there? Thank you.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 11:11 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
The front door of the GH is less than 100 feet into the pedestrian zone but I've seen some taxis venture in. The back door of the hotel on a road open to vehicles.
Old May 8, 2008, 11:50 pm
Community Director Emerita

I'm surprised to find rather limited reports on one of Starwood's star properties.

What kind of upgrade can a platinum expect at this property? There don't seem to be many reports of upgrades to suites. Is a regular room cramped? Are rooms across the street to be avoided? What toiletries does the hotel use? How are the public areas? Any comfortable areas to sit and relax?

Any suggestions of good restaurants within an easy walk?
Old May 11, 2008, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I'm surprised to find rather limited reports on one of Starwood's star properties.

What kind of upgrade can a platinum expect at this property? There don't seem to be many reports of upgrades to suites. Is a regular room cramped? Are rooms across the street to be avoided? What toiletries does the hotel use? How are the public areas? Any comfortable areas to sit and relax?

Any suggestions of good restaurants within an easy walk?
Stayed one night at the Goldener Hirsch in early June, 2006. I wrote to the GM ahead of time to note that this was a special trip for my wife and me (major anniversary) and we were treated royally: assigned Room 1 (literally, their best room. numbered accordingly, a small suite); given a nice bottle of the local sparkling wine and a big chocolate confection and fruit plate. We greatly enjoyed our dinner in Herzl, their "relaxed" restaurant which features local foods (both the sausages and Schnitzel were outstanding). There are lots of other good restaurants in Salzburg; we had a nice breakfast at an outdoor cafe in the main square in town, but there are plenty of choices. If you have time, walk (or take the funicular) up to the Schloss; you'll get a nice look at the surrounding countryside.

I didn't look into any other rooms, but the hotel is really a couple of very old, and small, buildings interwoven to make a hotel. I'm sure each room is distinctive, and probably furnished with genuine antiques from the area as our room was. So no way to know whether you'll like the room you're assigned, but this isn't a W or a Le Meridien; it's a unique property that will greatly appeal to fans of authentic and small old guest houses, with adequately modern plumbing and electric but nothing contemporary past these minimums.

As we were leaving, I thanked the staff for making it such a nice visit, and the front desk manager said, "Oh, you cannot leave before the general manager says hello". And a few moments later, he came running down the stairs in his loden coat, and we had a nice conversation; he clearly believes in making a personal connection with his guests whenever possible, and I would cheerfully return to visit with him, and his fine property, if I have any opportunity to return to Austria.
Old May 11, 2008, 11:16 pm

SportsTech, how nice to read that the hotel came thru for you for a major anniversary. We spent a week at 3 of Starwood's Basque hotels last summer during the week of a major anniversary for us. We were treated stunningly well, and will always be grateful both to Starwood and the respective hotel managers.

And thank you for describing the hotel so as to give me a mental picture of it, and what my stay might be like.
Old May 12, 2008, 7:09 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Perhaps it was just bad luck, but we were given a very "tired" room when we stayed there.

The staff was great-- the hotel is located in a great location, but the room was a bit of a disappointment.

Also-- we had just come from Schloss Fuschl and thought breakfast was included -- it ended up costing a fortune.
Old May 31, 2008, 1:10 pm

We had an excellent stay

The Goldener Hirsch opened in 1407. It is currently decorated as a 16th century country inn. Its décor is rustic, with furniture reminiscent of the period. It is not for everyone, but it worked for me. We experienced superb service, a great location, and a wonderful upgrade.

We came to Salzburg by train from the Munich Airport. We bought a Bayern ticket for 29 euros one way for two people. This is about half the price of a ticket on the ICE. The restrictions:

• Travel after 9am on weekends; any time Saturday or Sunday
• Restricted to travel on the red trains; no fast trains allowed

We took the S-bahn from the airport to Munchner Ost, then switched to the train to Salzburg. It took about 2 hours 45 minutes. The taxi ride from the Salzburg train station to the hotel was 8 euros.

Thomas greeted us on arrival. He was the day front desk manager, and a Clef d’or member. His focus on service could not be beat. He was helpful in every possible way. This warm hospitality extended to every hotel staff member we met.

I didn’t expect much in terms of an upgrade, which made our suite all the more of a gift. I had booked a “cozy room” and had seen that morning that we had been given a Festival Room. I was shocked to be taken to our room and find a full suite. It was a bit quirky, with some odd corners and various levels, yet very comfortable. There was a small bottle of wine, a heart shaped cookie, and two bottles of water in the room.

The hotel has a computer which is free for guest use. It is on the 1st floor, in the room labeled Bibliothek despite its lack of books.

The hotel restaurants offer Salzburger Nockerlin, which is a local dessert specialty. The meringue looks like several peaks of the Alps.

The Sheraton is about a 15 minute walk away, on the opposite side of the river, toward the train station and conference center.

We rented a car one day. Hertz delivered it to us at the hotel. We drove to Berchtesgarden, about a 30 minute drive, and then took some drives thru the Alps. We also visited the Eagle’s Nest, which was given to Hitler for his 50th birthday. This was fascinating, not because they gave much of the history, but because it was incredibly beautiful. You are taken by bus from the visitor’s center to the base of the Eagle’s Nest. Then you take an elevator to the structure at the top. It is now a restaurant, and you can eat inside or on the terrace which has a stunning view all the way around of mountains.

Hotel parking costs 33 euros. A nearby city lot charges 14 euros. Street parking just a few blocks away is free between 7pm and 9am. You don’t want a fine as it would cost 150 euros. The hotel has a few parking spots to the rear, where you can load and unload your car. The Hertz office is one block from the train station, so we dropped the car off when we were ready to return to Munich.

We really liked being in the center of the old city. We received superb service, and would happily return when in Salzburg again.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
We just got back from another stay at the Golderner Hirsch. With all of my previous stays, this was the first time we were given accommodations across the street. We were there 5 nights.

We were assigned two very large rooms, 79 and 80. The two rooms were off a small hallway, separated from the third floor (small) lobby area by a door. So, we closed the door from the hallway and left the room doors opened.....and made out own two-bedroom suite.

Each room had an entry way with coat closet; from this hallway you entered either the bathroom or the W/C. Huge bathroom, big sinks, bidet. But as often as I take holiday in Europe, I still hate the tub/showers with only a small glass plate to contain the shower water/spray!

Very large rooms, each with 2 beds pushed together (European style to make a King bed). And a large sitting area, with full sofa, two easy chairs, a full-sized cocktail table, armoire, and desk. I had four windows.

From what I remember of my last stay, a similar sized room in the original hotel building had wooden beams, wood floors (?), and beautiful oriental rugs. Our rooms on this stay were obviously more recently renovated to a more-modern style.

We each got a small bottle of Austrian wine and a big lebkuchen in the evening. Two bottles of complimentary water.....and of course, Mozart balls.

On the morning of my friend's birthday, as we walked thru the lobby to breakfast, the staff of 6-8 suddenly appeared and spontaneously sand "Happy Birthday" to her. It was a great start to her special day.....and a great way to end our 3-week holiday.

Parking still remains at 33 Euro/night. But staff was very prompt in bring the car to us.

Only negative.....the blond with the tightly-pulled blond bun who works the front desk during the day. As several guests agreed, so has major attitude.

My 9th holiday at the Golderner Hirsch and I'm looking forward to going back for my 10th holiday soon.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 9:39 pm

Programs: SPG, AA: PLAT; Hilton: Diamon, UAL: Premier Exec; IC_PriClub; 308 hours flying Boeing 707's
Originally Posted by kevinsac
Only negative.....the blond with the tightly-pulled blond bun who works the front desk during the day. As several guests agreed, so has major attitude.
Totally agree.... I remember most of her comment when I asked about finding a specific mountain to hike in The Alps, "Just type the name into your GPS." When I confessed that I didn't have one, she said, "There will be one in your car." When I told her that I hadn't seen them in most cars, she replied "The kind of car our guests reserve will have a GPS."

Apparently her guests don't rend the mid-size from Avis or Economy from SIXT...

Glad to know it wasn't just me!

-- CaptainG
From the Sheraton Grand Sacramento

Last edited by CaptainG; Nov 3, 2008 at 9:44 pm
Old Nov 12, 2008, 7:52 pm
prh

Programs: AA Platinum Plus; One World Emerald
I can book a Classic Room for 180 Euros (and be guaranteed a king bed), an Exclusive room for 202 (and be guaranteed non-smoking and two twin beds put together as a twin)), and a Festival Room for 231 (and be guaranteed two twin beds put together as a twin). What do folks recommend that I pick?
Old Dec 1, 2008, 6:04 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
With no Hiltons in the area, we thought to try the "other" guys at Starwood. What a great hotel - and a great city. Even the train down from Munich was nice. Highly recommended.

Also, make sure you eat in the restaurant, the venison was simply fantastic!
Old Dec 1, 2008, 5:34 pm

Programs: SPG, AA: PLAT; Hilton: Diamon, UAL: Premier Exec; IC_PriClub; 308 hours flying Boeing 707's
Originally Posted by prh
I can book a Classic Room for 180 Euros (and be guaranteed a king bed), an Exclusive room for 202 (and be guaranteed non-smoking and two twin beds put together as a twin)), and a Festival Room for 231 (and be guaranteed two twin beds put together as a twin). What do folks recommend that I pick?
Of the two I've been in, the Exclusive was fine. Of course book the Classic if you have a chance of upgrade!

Safe Travels!

-- CaptainG

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.