Wiki Posts
Search

Voting Completed: Motion Failed - Flyertalk Ambassador Proposal

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2008, 1:51 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by tcook052
You mean I would get a 'welcome' if I ventured into the NZ forum for the first time?
Originally Posted by Cholula
Yes you would, as I stated in an earlier post, if the forum Ambassador recognized that you were new to the forum. Veterans in one forum can be wide-eyed rank amateur newbies in a new, complex and busy forum.
This must be the first time someone on FT has implied the NZ forum is complex and busy
Old May 25, 2008, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Thank you for your post, nsx.

Actually the idea for the Ambassador program, as reported here on May 6, sprang from our meeting in Phoenix.

Here is the exact text of our public report regarding the Ambassador program:

"Increasing member participation was discussed. Some questions raised were: “What are we trying to accomplish?”, “How many new users do we get annually?” “Could the proposed Newbie Forum help?” “How can we increase users’ comfort levels?”, “Can a lot of new users be effectively supported?”, “Is activity down?” “Are too many people being told to ‘do a search’?”.

The idea to create Ambassadors for the forums was made and widely accepted. Ambassadors could be charged with welcoming people to a forum, directing their questions, and reducing the over-all “snarkiness” found in some forums. Randy stated that FT is looking at a plug-in that will track user activity and contact users who fit certain parameters like last visit/participation, and can better tailor the welcome process for new users."

There was considerable discussion regarding this program contained in that report thread and I do believe that all of that input was considered in writing the proposal.

I think we are in complete agreement on almost every point you have raised. The proposal as written makes it abundantly clear that Ambassadors will be chosen by their past performance. The primary reason for them to bear an actual title is to identify them to people looking for assistance.

Do you have any specific, constructive ideas how we could improve the concept and its implementation?
Old May 25, 2008, 2:10 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Punki

(snip)

The primary reason for them to bear an actual title is to identify them to people looking for assistance.

Do you have any specific, constructive ideas how we could improve the concept and its implementation?
I propose replacing the last two sections with something like this:

Ambassador Identification:

Any FlyerTalk member can nominate himself to be a forum Ambassador by starting a thread proposing the nomination in that forum and asking for comments. Between 7 and 30 days later, the member can ask Randy to review the thread and approve or disapprove the nomination. If approved, the nomination will be effective for two years.

All FlyerTalkers are encouraged to recommend that people who they have noticed do a great job of welcoming and helping others in the forums they frequent and providing a positive influence for that forum nominate themselves to become Ambassadors for that forum.

Ambassador Guidelines:

The title Ambassador is bestowed upon FlyerTalkers who, by their attitude and posts, have demonstrated a commitment to making FlyerTalk a positive and welcoming place. Ambassadors are expected to continue to demonstrate that commitment and continue to meet all of the qualifications criteria set forth for Ambassadors while they hold that title.

An Ambassador may resign their title at any time. Ambassador is a revocable title that Randy may revoke at his discretion.
Old May 25, 2008, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
This might be the stupidest idea that has ever been put to a vote by the TB. You should all be ashamed of yourselves for wasting carbon for having your computers on to even type it onto FT.

Nobody has yet satisfactorily explained why a Moderator cannot do these things? Other than maybe some people can't become Moderators and they're all sad about it.

I can't even believe that I've wasted three minutes of my life thinking about this topic.
Old May 25, 2008, 4:35 pm
Suspended

I do like your idea, nsx, of people starting a thread in the forum for which they wish to serve as an Ambassador, announcing their interest and requesting feedback.

Beyond that, are we talking about the same Randy? The one I know is an incredibly busy man--running several businesses other than FlyerTalk, traveling around the world, preparing for and accomplishing countless interviews, appearances and speaking engagements every year, publishing a magazine, and still trying to find time to enjoy his RV, friends, skiiing, and his beautiful bride.

TalkBoard works at Randy's request and with his approval. Everything we do is subject to his approval. All this proposal suggests is that we do some of the grunt work for him. The powe to approve or reject our recommondations always rests with Randy.
Old May 25, 2008, 4:38 pm

I don't think it should be up to the talk board to designate the ambassadors. It seems the mods would know their board better than anyone.

Why should the Talk Board nominate an ambassador for my board?
Old May 25, 2008, 4:57 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
Nobody has yet satisfactorily explained why a Moderator cannot do these things?
As a moderator, I really appreciate that some people volunteer to handhold newbies. It makes the job much easier. YMMV.
Old May 25, 2008, 5:00 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Beyond that, are we talking about the same Randy?
Yes. He would have all the necessary information in a single thread. Maybe 5 minutes of his time per decision. In all likelihood, that's less time than he would spend reviewing a TB decision. It's much less time than he spends checking out recommendations for moderator candidates. And another nice feature is that this record on which the decision is based is public.
Old May 25, 2008, 5:12 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by nsx
Is there some reason these things surface as full-blown proposals for a vote before, rather than after, we have a chance to kick the tires in this forum?

Actually the idea for the Ambassador program, as reported here on May 6, sprang from our meeting in Phoenix.
We're all aware of the genesis of the idea. But a discussion in Phoenix does not a proposal make, which was the nature of nsx' question. So, why not withdraw the proposal in light of the full-blown discussion now underway? There's no shame in that.

"Increasing member participation was discussed. Some questions raised were: 1. “What are we trying to accomplish?”, 2.“How many new users do we get annually?” 3. “Could the proposed Newbie Forum help?” 4. “How can we increase users’ comfort levels?”, 5. “Can a lot of new users be effectively supported?”, 6. “Is activity down?” 7. “Are too many people being told to ‘do a search’?”. {emphasis in red mine}
Questions #2 and 6 seem TBD by:

Randy stated that FT is looking at a plug-in that will track user activity and contact users who fit certain parameters like last visit/participation, and can better tailor the welcome process for new users.
Until those are definitively answered, what assumption does the goal of "[i]ncreasing member participation" rest upon? Why is increasing member participation a worthwhile goal? "Bigger is better/more is good" or ???

What are the answers to the rest?

How were the answers to questions #3, 4, 5 and 7 determined?

As for question #1, that seems to be identical to the stated goal and taken as a given.

The cart is in front of the horse on this motion.

Last edited by essxjay; May 25, 2008 at 5:30 pm
Old May 25, 2008, 5:23 pm
Suspended

safetymom writes:

I don't think it should be up to the talk board to designate the ambassadors. It seems the mods would know their board better than anyone.

Why should the Talk Board nominate an ambassador for my board?
Actually, if you carefully read the proposal, you will find that it is the Ambassadors themselves, and those who participarte in the forum they wish to moderate, who will nominate them. TalkBoard's role would be to vett them and present the information to Randy for implementation.

Please note this paragraph:

Nominated Ambassadors will be reviewed by the TalkBoard, which may consult with nominees as well as forum moderators in determining whether an individual meets the Ambassador Qualifications.
Old May 25, 2008, 5:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Please note this paragraph:
Nominated Ambassadors will be reviewed by the TalkBoard, which may consult with nominees as well as forum moderators in determining whether an individual meets the Ambassador Qualifications.
"May" implies the possibility of its contrary, "may not."

So under what circumstances might TB vett and recommend forum ambassadors to Randy w/o nominee or mod input, and what criteria would be used instead?
Old May 25, 2008, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by nsx
As a moderator, I really appreciate that some people volunteer to handhold newbies. It makes the job much easier. YMMV.
Sure. But does one need a sign to do that??

It's a title for the sake of a title, and something for the Talkboard to do.

Why aren't the moderators directly nominating the Ambassadors to Randy? Why does the Talkboard have to have anything to do with the process?

As written, it is pointless at best, and at worst a self-aggrandizing example of why Internet Brands should just abolish the whole concept of a procedure setting Talkboard.

Last edited by ElmhurstNick; May 25, 2008 at 5:49 pm Reason: better wording in line 3
Old May 25, 2008, 5:53 pm
Suspended

I suspect that if dhammer53 or Rudi applied to be an Ambassador in a forum which they posted regularly, that the TalkBoard could realistically skip consulting with moderators of those forums.
Old May 25, 2008, 5:53 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
Sure. But does one need a sign to do that??
No. As I have said, people are doing it right now. But they don't have a sign pointing newbies to them, and that might help.
Old May 25, 2008, 6:04 pm
Suspended

ElmhurstNick writes:

Why aren't the moderators directly nominating the Ambassadors to Randy? Why does the Talkboard have to have anything to do with the process?
Because TalkBoard is the group that worked with Randy to develop the concept and the group that was assigned the task of implementing it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.