Wiki Posts
Search

DRESDEN - Anyone flown LGW/DRS?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2007, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
DRESDEN - Anyone flown LGW/DRS?

Booked 2 CE seats LGW/DRS for May bank holiday weekend several weeks ago. At first, booking did not appear in MMB, contacted BAEC and that was rectified however, I've been unable to select seats despite a message on the MMB page telling me to select seats. Used the 'contact us ' button and was advised to call BAEC.
This resulted in the following info. According to the agent the notes in the booking states that due to the size and type of aircraft operating this service seats cannot be allocated until check in. Agent expressed surprise as had never seen such a note before and also as both pax are Silver thought both should be seated. She thought things would be fine at T-24 but as it's a Bank holiday weekend........ I wonder. I checked prices for the same dates and the fares have rocketed so I'm assuming a busy flight especially on the return.

Has anyone used the Dresden service? Has anything similar happened to you? I'm assuming by 'small' aircraft they mean a 737-300 or a 737-500 but I travel on those regularly between EDI/GLA and LGW and there's never a seating problem in MMB with those flights. Any thoughts?
Old Apr 22, 2007, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
I think it's a rubbish excuse - they use the same 73x fleet everywhere at LGW (for mainline) so they'll be no 'smaller' than when they fly any other service on the network! But I recall when the SZG route launched we couldn't get seats for ages for the 'do' (which was on/around launch time depending on when people flew) and then suddenly pre-assignment just worked. I think it may just be teething problems when new routes are launched? OK, you're getting fairly close to departure now but I'd keep checking - you never know...

...and if not, I suspect there's nothing anyone can do so everyone is in the same boat - no other Silver/Gold will have pre-assigned the best seats by now either, so hit OLCI at T-25 if you can.

Last edited by G-BOAC; Apr 22, 2007 at 1:41 pm
Old Apr 22, 2007, 1:39 pm

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
Well in Expertflyer, the 7th of May is showing J9, no CDI availble.

Bur strangely, I can't pull up seat maps for any of the flights from 2May to 7th May.

Odd.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 4:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum
Dresden is pencilled in as Boeing 737-500s for the whole summer.

Cheers
Old Jun 19, 2008, 8:01 pm
Suspended

How does this route work out for BA? I am planning to fly DRS-LGW in October and it will be a crucial part of my travels in europe this year.
I won't be happy if BA pulls the plug on this one...
Old Jun 20, 2008, 12:03 am

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by Scotair
Booked 2 CE seats LGW/DRS for May bank holiday weekend several weeks ago. At first, booking did not appear in MMB, contacted BAEC and that was rectified however, I've been unable to select seats despite a message on the MMB page telling me to select seats. Used the 'contact us ' button and was advised to call BAEC.
This resulted in the following info. According to the agent the notes in the booking states that due to the size and type of aircraft operating this service seats cannot be allocated until check in. Agent expressed surprise as had never seen such a note before and also as both pax are Silver thought both should be seated. She thought things would be fine at T-24 but as it's a Bank holiday weekend........ I wonder. I checked prices for the same dates and the fares have rocketed so I'm assuming a busy flight especially on the return.

Has anyone used the Dresden service? Has anything similar happened to you? I'm assuming by 'small' aircraft they mean a 737-300 or a 737-500 but I travel on those regularly between EDI/GLA and LGW and there's never a seating problem in MMB with those flights. Any thoughts?
You need to PM the gorgeous, glamourous PUCCI for details on LGW-DRS

She recently flew this route - see this thread;

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...931&highlight=
Old Jun 20, 2008, 1:59 am

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
I flew this route at the beginning of this month in CE. Seat allocations made on ba.com at time of booking in the normal way (although I needn't have bothered as the plane was pretty deserted in front of the curtain going out and I was literally the only person in CE coming back!). Plane was a 737 but did look very short - can't remember which variant it was.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 2:14 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by BA1A
You need to PM the gorgeous, glamourous PUCCI for details on LGW-DRS

She recently flew this route - see this thread;

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...931&highlight=
One Muccihood earned by you Darling for telling the truth at all times and knowing that this what any woman wants to hear.

Should you wish to accept - please let Moomba know as he is the Keeper of the Records.

Should JohnAlex read this - he may proceed to our Moomba and tell him the same - again should he choose to accept. (Bet this never get a Mention on the letter that they send out every so often).

Now LGW/DRS. I have to say that this is a route that seems to be pulling a fair number of ETs but less CEs. There were three of us in the cabin on the way out but about 8 on the way home.

The flight is operated by the 737-500. The toilets look as though they have had a sprice up - not before time - and the seating was the same old rather tatty Club.

Now the the-never-ending-story about Club begins. Club was born in Economy and ousted First Class. It basically gave a touch of First service to an area of the Economy cabin. It was such a clever concept as it basically meant that you could charge a lot more money for what was essentially a meal tray and free bar, a newspaper and a hot cloth. It was all service rather than seats.

They then improved the seating and like all compromises it works for some and not for others. That was some time ago and on some of the older aircraft the seating is fairly tatty. I suspect that The Prince of Darkness would have loved to go the whole route and made the whole aircraft like a second class train with seat belts and a tea trolley down the aisles.

Anyhow, the DRS is catering band 2 - that means lunch on the way out and high tea on the way home. We had a lovely purser who broke the rules for the three of us and did the bar first (not a Band 2 feature I gather). Drinks are, of course free. There is and never has been any rationing of the Champagne and anyone who says that there is, is basically wrong or a jobsworth.

There are no bulkhead dropdown cot holders - which again you are perfectly as liberty to use.

Now in spite of what someone in the Southern Hemisphere urges to the contrary I not particulary fat bottomed - and neither is my husband. Apart from waistband expansion caused by the superb cuisine prepared by doting wife and the appetite of a Minnesotan hog he is less Michelin Man and more hunky chunky. As his feet are size 44 in new money he and I have no problem with leg room or foot room or pitch. We do it is true always try of the A and C seats. I often do seat E when I come back from Euroshopping trips and I have no problem with them either.

Lunch was a tray with a hot dish (chicken with spinach in a light curry-esqu sauce), rather tasty cheese and a chocolate. The chocolate was eaten and it was not eaten by me. Someone had seconds of cheese. They carry a rather excellent Loius Jadot Beaujolais. Someone said that it was probably last years Nouveau decanted into screw top. Coffee and Tea and Liquors follow if you wish.

The flight arrives at the excellent ultra modern DRS airport and seems to come and go froma jetway dedicated to non Schenghen arrival (why did they have to name if after somewhere no one has ever heard of and no one is sure how to pronounce). Yes I know that is where it was signed but how imaginative is that.

Passports were rather slow - and it was quite a hike to get there. They run everything through the computer. At least one of the policeman was eye candy and had such lovely eyes!

Anyhow the S-Bahn to the city is just under the airport. E1,80 to get downtown which for Europe must be the cheapest going.

The return is simple as well. This is an airport where they are not terribly busy so they will do everything very very thoroughly. Infuriatingly - OLCI which should bypass the desks tells you nothing about lounges. There is no lounge - the only one that I saw was the Senator lounge and wild horses would not get me in one of those for reasons that I have bored FTers with for far too long. However, you do get a voucher for E15 - I used to strip the duty free shop of Bombay gin. 47% proof. Actually the shop had quite good stock and I love the thought of BA subidising my gin. The desk staff were far more interested in themselves and their own conversations than their customers but I suppose the German Wings passengers are not as service conscious as BAs.

The flight home was pretty full. Tea was a Haddock (I think ) quichelette with two sandiwches. Hot scones with clotted cream and strawberry jam. The calories roll on just looking at them - but I do not care. Tea is served of course - but there is a full bar service which the excellent Cabin Manager served with the tea. No trolleys for her passengers. Washing one's tea down with Champagne, watching the sun on the clouds with a good looking man that you are taking home (he was carrying the gin after all!) is to my mind perfect flying pleasure. There is a large piece of fruit cake as well. Hardly haute cuisine and I liked it.

Both flights were on time. Now how long the DRS will run is anyone's guess - but remember if that were to fold if they are not making enough money - Berlin is not too far and there is an excellent train service to Dresden.

As fro Dresden - it is quite magical. Think Krakow with the quiet of Vilnius. I adored it. I did not go near Flyertalk all weekend and was allowed on the computer for OLCI purposes only. That too worked a treat in both directions.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 2:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
My wife and I flew this route during the school half term in May (both work in schools!) also in CE. I had no problems at all pre-booking 2AC and then changing to 1AC when they opened which was either 72 or 48 hours before departure. Then used OLCI to brint BP and off we went! Great flight and fantastic destination for a short break and as PUCCI says the train transfer is ridiculously cheap. Like CCAyley we were also the only ones in CE so great attentive service too. Will probably go again as very reasonable CE price and truly a great place.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 2:52 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
To echo Ms Galore I really loved Dresden - it's a beautiful city and the restoration has been done sympathetically and well.

If you're looking for somewhere to stay then the Kempinski is amazing and very central.

Note that there is no lounge at Dresden airport - instead you'll get a vaaaacher for €15 which you can spend as you see fit; for myself and my 'colleague' (as he seems to refer to himself - quite why I'm viewed as work I decline to comment) it purchased a nice bottle of fizz.

Enjoy it there - I know I did !

BAH
Old Jun 20, 2008, 2:53 am

Programs: BA, BD, AF, LH, AA, EK, Hilton, ICHG, SPG
I flew the route outbound only (it was an open-jaw ticket) shortly after it opened. The load was very light and I was the only pax in Club. Great flight, though.

Dresden is superb - here's my trip report.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 2:58 am

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
One Muccihood earned by you Darling for telling the truth at all times and knowing that this what any woman wants to hear.

Should you wish to accept - please let Moomba know as he is the Keeper of the Records.
Suddenly the monsoon rain here has passed away and life seems so much brighter. I would love to accept, you have made my day. Thank you xx

Wait until Teece lands back from BOM and sees this
Old Jun 20, 2008, 4:40 am

Programs: Meh!
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I suspect that you are desirous of partners who take their time, but I fear that BA1A - in his haste to covet a Muccidom - has invoked your name in response to a query posted in April '07 for a May '07 flight. The thread was merely resurrected by dieuwer2 today - but no doubt he will be extremely grateful for the insights gained on your recent trip. One for the Honours Committee me thinks .
Old Jun 20, 2008, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by Halo
I suspect that you are desirous of partners who take their time, but I fear that BA1A - in his haste to covet a Muccidom - has invoked your name in response to a query posted in April '07 for a May '07 flight. The thread was merely resurrected by dieuwer2 today - but no doubt he will be extremely grateful for the insights gained on your recent trip. One for the Honours Committee me thinks .
My humblest apologies. I am still relatively new to all this.

My comments about the glamorous, gorgeous PUCCI still stand though
Old Jun 20, 2008, 6:07 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by BA1A
My humblest apologies. I am still relatively new to all this.

My comments about the glamorous, gorgeous PUCCI still stand though
Oh you Great Big Flatterer You!

Have you added Muccihood to your profile yet?

I am surprised that a certain dear old gentleman who lives the other side of the Amazonian jungles has not seen fit to put his 2p worth in. It's late for him so I expect that he is having a lie-in which we will all need when we get to that age.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.