Iceland flights cancelled...what to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2007, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

AA just called to tell me that BA has cancelled my flight on my printed DONE4 ticket to Iceland next June.

From the message they left I have no options, but I have already paid for hotels, etc.

What are my options? Is Iceland air really the only way to get to Iceland? Can BA OneWorld really do this? Any similar experinces?
Old Nov 27, 2007, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by AAaLot
...Can BA OneWorld really do this?...
Sure they can. I am not a lawyer but I believe they owe you nothing, unfortunately, as the conditions of carriage of most airlines say something similar to this, taken from the aa website (I know your case involves BA, but I'd be surprised if BA's COC are much different):
Originally Posted by aa.com
...American will endeavor to carry you and your baggage with reasonable dispatch, but times shown in timetables or elsewhere are not guaranteed and form no part of this contract. American may, without notice, substitute alternate carriers or aircraft and, if necessary, may alter or omit stopping places shown on the ticket. Schedules are subject to change without notice. American is not responsible for or liable for failure to make connections, or to operate any flight according to schedule, or for a change to the schedule of any flight. Under no circumstances shall American be liable for any special, incidental or consequential damages arising from the foregoing...
Old Nov 27, 2007, 1:18 pm

Programs: Northwest, Continential
Yes, Icelandair is the main carrier going to and from Iceland. There have been the occasional stray carrier (mainly Cargo/Charter). In my 12 to 14 years of going between BWI and KEF there is only Icelandair. I am not sure what Icelandair has with agreements with AA or BA but you may want to check with Icelandair and see. As far as a Carrier; Icelandair and their "Saga Class" is quite nice.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 2:34 pm
tt7

Originally Posted by AAaLot
What are my options?
What do you want to do?

You had a ticket on BA to KEF (presumably from LGW). BA has withdrawn service to KEF (it would appear the last flight is March 28).

Do you still want to go to Iceland? If so, you need to get a ticket on IcelandAir, who appear to fly to KEF from numerous places (including LHR).

You need to get your DONE4 ticket re-issued to remove the KEF legs and substitute something else. I would not expect to pay the $125 re-issue fee and would tell AA (or whoever sold the ticket) that I have no intention of paying a change fee on a multi-leg ticket on which they have unilaterally removed service. Not paying the fee would be non-negotiable as far as I would be concerned and I would take that as far up the line as necessary.

If you still want to go to Iceland and get a ticket on another carrier, then presumably the hotel reservations are ok. If you decide not to go, then you presumably need to cancel the hotel reservation and seek a refund, depending on the terms under which it was booked. The airlines are not responsible for 'consequential losses' (i.e., your potentially useless, paid hotel reservation) as a result of their service changes.

You can of course ask them to put you on another carrier (IcelandAir) but I would be surprised if they would do that. However, it doesn't hurt to ask but it would be BA who would be paying for that.

Beyond that, I'm not sure what 'options' you're looking for. Only you can decide whether or not you still want to go to Iceland - and then act accordingly.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Less BA routes

And more to come. With the Eazyjet takeover of GB many routes severed as that BA franchise will go. Links here and here

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Nov 27, 2007 at 2:49 pm
Old Nov 27, 2007, 4:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Plat SPG Platinum
By all means call and ask what your options are, and then call again if you do not like the first response, rather than just rely on a message. There may be more flexibility here than first meets the eye.
Did you have an open ticket or a confirmed booking on a specific flite? The confirmed booking may give more options, as it is a bit much (although perhaps technically legal) to not protect passengers in this situation.
As previously posted, if no flite arrangements are possuble, insist on no fee for reissuing the ticket with other uses of your segments, if that is what you want. It would be good to have a specific alternative as a backup when you call to settle as much as possible with as few contacts as possible.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 4:38 pm

Some experience here - it may not apply to you.
I had a similar situation: one leg of a multi leg ticket (issued with a specific flight, not just open). Ticket issued in Germany, so the german AGB-Gesetz (condition of sale law) kicked in - which limits the rights of companies to put things in the conditions of sale etc which are unfair to the customer.

Since a ticket is a contract between the issuing carrier (and not the operating carrier) and you the issuing carrier then has the responsibility to get you there. In my case they just booked me on a different airline, no extra charge. My travel agent arranged everything.

Also in a different situation on an AONE (which was maxed out) AA stoppend flying non stop from XXX to YYY. The travel agent booked me on XXX - ZZZ - YYY, no change in Ticket. AA accepted the one coupon for two legs without any problems. This was 2 or 3 years back.

Not sure if this was mainly because of the german legal situation or if this is done everywhere.

Somebody else with some real experiences?
Old Nov 27, 2007, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I am traveling and will not be near a real computer for a few days.

What is the closest that OneWorld can get me to Iceland? ... Yes I know it is in the middle of the ocean near the artic .

Anyone know what is the cheapest Iceland Air destination city that BA can fly me to in early June time frame?

I don't know anything about the reasoning for cancelation of this route, but it seems Iceland would be a summer dest and BA should have canceled after summer.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was your flight open or booked ?

Try here and here. You may find something to RKV or KEF
Old Nov 27, 2007, 11:23 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
London probably is about the closest, at least on the Europe side.

IIRC Icelandair has several european destinations, and there is/was at least one LCC also. One or two other airlines might have flights in northern summer also.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 11:37 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
If your tickets are for booked flights (and not OPEN), BA should just endorse the tickets over to an airline that will take you LGW-KEF.

I suggest you directly contact BA and ask them which flight / airline you have been transferred to for the Iceland journey.

My example is with a *A RTW and sectors CGH-UBI-CGH on RG (codeshared on TAM metal). RG pulled out of the code share arrangement with TAM and all I needed to do was go to the TAM counter with my RG tickets and they accepted them for travel with absolutely no problems . This was before RG went really pear shaped.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looking on http://www.skyscanner.net and trying UK, Norway, Sweden Germany to Iceland show very few options. Not suprising

http://www.keflavikairport.com/ lists
Air Iceland
Astreaus
Austrian Airlines
British Air Airways
Edelweiss
Hello (for Iceland Express)
Icelandair
JetX
LTU
SAS
Swiss International
as airlines operating in summer 2007

http://www.icelandexpress.com/
http://www.icelandair.com/
Old Nov 28, 2007, 3:21 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
BA have cancelled the flights to use the planes to increase flights from LCY. Nothing to do with seasonality.

BA have no agreement with Icelandair and therefore will not reroute.

Icelandair fly to LHR and GLA. Iceland express (low cost) fly into STN. GLA would be the closest.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 3:29 am
Original Poster

I a have confirmed dates on paper tickets for 5 platinum members.

BA's change upsets me on many levels. As I was preparing the DONE4 the extra segment caused by the LGW / LHR Iceland etc made me change many plans including flying Mykonos LGW.

Iceland is diff than a regular schedule change. There is no way to pick an alternate airport and 'drive' there.

What do you think of this stratedy:

Wait a week...let others call AA and BA first?? Surely BA will realize Iceland is different. Is this a good or bad idea.

Call BA...try for Iceland air. Any experenice on what group to call and how? How do they transfer a printed ticket to another airline?

Call AA. Settle for buying Iceland air from LHR or glascow. I will try to remove the extra segment in LON and add extra segments elsewhere. This does not make me happy.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

involuntary reroute

With confirmed dates its the airlines (BA-AA-??) problem to get you there and back. As others have noted above (as post #11), an involuntary reroute with dated tickets is the Airlines problem. Do not accept "no" or "can’t be done". If aircraft are flying to Iceland they should get all 5 of you there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.