Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do UGS Benefits Extend to Family Members?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2003, 7:40 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Do UGS Benefits Extend to Family Members?

Dronelax's tale of his inflight encounter with the spoiled almost newlywed reminded me of a scene I witnessed at LAX in August. It also led me to wonder just how far UGS benefits stretch when it comes to family members.

The scene: 10 p.m. on a busy Friday night at LAX. Thunderstorms had shut down ORD earlier in the day, wreaking havoc throughout the system. UA had worked hard to get my daughter from OAK to MCO, rebooking her twice, with the final result being an SFO-LAX-MCO red eye. Somehow she had even managed to keep her mileage upgrade through all the changes. And no the question in the header isn't in reference to me, a lowly 1k

Due to the storms the crew was late in arriving, delaying the flight by about an hour. In fact it turned out to be the same crew we had on the SFO-LAX leg, which had been delayed for over an hour. The gate area looked like a chaotic romper room, with all the families with small sleepy children waiting to go to Disneyworld. The flight was fully booked, no empty seats. About 30 minutes prior to boarding the GA paged a gentleman (and I use the term loosely) to the podium. He and his wife already had first class seats that had pre-cleared, but she wanted to let him know that the upgrades for his two sons (about 10 or 11 years old) had not cleared.

First he berated her for calling him to the podium to tell her they didn't clear. Why would she waste his time like that? Then he stood there for a moment thinking about it, then said it wasn't possible that his kids didn't clear, as he was a UGS, and therefore no one else could have possibly cleared before his sons. He demanded to see the upgrade list so he could see the status of those who had cleared the list ahead of his sons. The GA declined, stating she upgraded people in the same order they appeared on the DM list. Then he really went ballistic, demanding to see a supervisor.

The supervisor came over, spoke with the agent and reviewed the DM list prior to speaking with the disgruntled UGS, who at that point looked like he was going to have a stroke, he was so wound up. The supervisor again declined to allow the UGS a look at the list, but assured him the pax upgraded were 1Ks. The question at that point was "how could a 1K get upgraded before the children of a UGS?"

By this time FC had boarded, general boarding was underway and they were up to about zone 3. Now things kicked into high gear. The neck veins on the more than slightly rotund UGS (he had obviously consumed way too many FC meals over the years) really began to bulge as he demanded that the supervisor go on the plane, locate the last two 1Ks who were upgraded and downgrade them into his kid's coach seats. After all he stated again, "I'm a UGS, how could you possibly have allowed those other people to upgrade before my kids"? The supervisor declined to do so and the UGS stormed off with his seemingly embarrassed wife and children and boarded. After viewing all of this all I stood there hoping that all the overhead space was taken by the time they got on. I was also pitying the FAs who had to deal with him for the next 6 hours.

Anyway, since I'm not really familiar with the UGS benefits, here's the question: Is being the son of a UGS a big enough trump card to outrank 1Ks, 1Ps and 2Ps on the ugrade list?

Other dumb question, has anyone else witnessed similar disfunctional elite fliers?

------------------
danville 1K

<Edited to correct atrocious spelling, typing and grammar>

[This message has been edited by danville 1K (edited 09-10-2003).]
Old Sep 10, 2003, 7:50 pm

Being UGS has no published direct impact on family members. What's important in the situation as described above is really the PNR itself. Meaning, it's important that ALL members are on the UGS dude or dudettes PNR - and NOT seperate individual PNR's. If your travelling companions/partners/siblings/anythings are on seperate PNR's, by definition they are on thier own. If they are on your PNR, depending on the situation they will ride your coat tails so to speak. However, even I can't keep track of which situations (say upgrades versus waitlists for seats, etc..) your companion does have the same status as you, or when they are "by themselves.

Really, the above situation isn't particular to UGS, but any of the various status levels (1K, 1P, 2P, etc...).

In terms of "do benefits get extended" to family members... sure, just like any other favor might for a 1K. And yes, just like the 1K line you can call the UGS line if you can somehow relate the travel of your family member to your own (for instance I draw the line at are they on at least one of my flights).

Either way, anybody who puts that much stock in themselves and the "supposed power" of UGS as the guy on the plane above needs to get a reality check...maybe a nice rollerboard falling out of a overhead bin would fix that.
Old Sep 10, 2003, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by danville 1K:
Is being the son of a UGS a big enough trump card to outrank 1Ks, 1Ps and 2Ps on the ugrade list?</font>
Only if the UGS member is Warren Jensen and the airline is Delta.
Old Sep 10, 2003, 8:10 pm

Some people should have their travel card revoked.

As far as upgrading the little ones, it does not matter if they were on the same record locator, if the upgrade has not cleared prior to the gate.

At the gate, upgrades are processed in order of status, and parties on the same record locator are split.

If Mr. rotund UGS had been a frequent flyer who paid attention, he'd know that.
Old Sep 10, 2003, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I encountered a real B!tch 3 weeks ago who decided that UGS was enough to skip any lines, in this case me. She started yelling that she was a 1K, "that's 100000 miles you know" and a "UGS"...

Seems like all UGS does for people is overinflate their already inflated ego's... (No offence to FT UGS members of course...)
Old Sep 10, 2003, 8:33 pm

Wrong post

[This message has been edited by mymiles2go (edited 09-10-2003).]
Old Sep 10, 2003, 9:23 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Droneklax:
If Mr. rotund UGS had been a frequent flyer who paid attention, he'd know that.</font>
I think Mr. Rotund UGS was a frequent flyer quite clear on the rules, but thought he could bully the GA and/or supervisor into letting him have his way by combining an extreme sense of personal entitlement with outrage.

After watching this little show I understood why airline employees aren't always overly enamored with high mileage frequent flyers. It would be very interesting to see what comments were entered into their PNRs after the flight departed. I'm sure his behavior was well documented by both the GA and supervisor.

------------------
danville 1K

[This message has been edited by danville 1K (edited 09-10-2003).]
Old Sep 10, 2003, 10:43 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
UGS indeed. Appropriate acronym here might be:
U - Ugly
G - Gate
S - Scene
Old Sep 11, 2003, 12:56 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
I encountered a real B!tch 3 weeks ago who decided that UGS was enough to skip any lines, in this case me. She started yelling that she was a 1K, "that's 100000 miles you know" and a "UGS"...

Seems like all UGS does for people is overinflate their already inflated ego's... (No offence to FT UGS members of course...)
</font>
I am all for old VIP system where it was invite only and if you acted like that they would simply "un-invite" you.

Old Sep 11, 2003, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
I thought UGS helped to uninvite VIP dead wood? (And that they did have a problem with disinviting VIPs?)
Old Sep 11, 2003, 1:05 pm

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
I'm told that the FA's get annoyed when people flash their UGS or 1K cards in their faces, subtly hinting, "Honey, I am the bread winner and you're supposed to say yes when I ask for something."

I find myself flashing my 1K card - not to tell them off or threaten them - but so they can search for my record. I don't like having to recite my name (which has no vowels in the first four letters, although I'm 4th generation American and this name has already been Americanized - it used to be the first 5 letters without vowels). Would FA's still get annoyed? I'm a 1K with a... you guessed it... a 1K card.
Old Sep 11, 2003, 1:07 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gleff:
I thought UGS helped to uninvite VIP dead wood? (And that they did have a problem with disinviting VIPs?)</font>
True. But bad behavior is a different story....

Old Sep 11, 2003, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by auh2o:
I am all for old VIP system where it was invite only and if you acted like that they would simply "un-invite" you.

</font>
The Ticketing agent said that she encountered people behaving like that every single day
Old Sep 11, 2003, 1:50 pm

Obviously UGS status does extend to family members - even when the UGS member is not traveling with the family member.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum50/HTML/021322.html
Old Sep 11, 2003, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I could write a book about all the UGS temper tantrums I've seen, where the UGS was expecting service or amenities they were not entitled to, and were downright rude in their attempts to "get their way." And the program hasn't even been around that long!!

Much worse and more often than anything I've witnessed from 1Ks in all my years flying United.

Based on the response from Gate Agents and FAs I've talked to after witnessing these events, UGS is not a badge you always want to flash to some of them!

Some have said "If they are not at least a Premier Executive UGS...I'm not going to do anything special for them." Sadly others, because of their experiences with a bad few, have just lumped all UGS customers into one big "egomaniac" gunnysack.

The problem with UGS is that, unlike the old VIP program, some of the members feel they have earned the status somehow, even though they might not even fly that often at all! Some of those types are just overly empowered rookies, IMHO. The worst kind.

I watched once as some guy strolled up to the gate at IAD and told the Gate Agent that "I'm supposed to be upgraded because I'm a UGS." When the agent told him she would be happy to place him on the upgrade list and asked him what type of upgrade did he want to support his upgrade with...he became unglued! He didn't need any upgrade and he didn't have to be on any list. If there was a seat, he should get it! He was told that on the phone by the UGS Desk!

Supervisor. Yelling. And the really sad part? The Supervisor caved in. When I asked the Supervisor why he gave up, he just said, "I just didn't want to mess with it. I don't know who the guy is. And I don't want to be the one getting a phone call saying I cost United X millions from a lost account or something."

"I understand," I replied. "But you do know you just empowered him to do this again and behave that way in the future?"

"Yeah," he said. "But hopefully that will be someone else's problem."

Many UGSs are giving a bad name to VIPs and those that deserve and understand the status, IMHO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.