Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Retreat & Spa Bali, Indonesia - Seminyak [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2015, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Beach Information

Please note that the area in front of the resort is a public beach. There is a strong current and we discourage guests from swimming in the ocean as there are no lifeguards on duty. Should you choose to swim in the ocean, you do so at your own risk. Please contact the resort for further information.

Seclusion Day Information: March 9, 2016

Nyepi is an important religious event in Bali and marks the beginning of the New Year in the Balinese Hindu calendar. In 2016, Nyepi falls on March 9. On Nyepi Day, from 6am to 6am the following day, all daily activities throughout Bali will stop. Shops and offices will be closed and people are not allowed to go out into the streets, engage in entertainment activities, turn on lights or make noise which may disturb others. Ngurah Rai International Airport will be closed for Nyepi Day. Neither departures nor arrivals are permitted on March 9, 2016.

There will be changes in hours of operation for our venues. There will be very little outside lighting during the night and there will be no transportation services to and from the resort. WET® (pool) is available for your enjoyment until 4pm; however, we request that you do not use the beach area or swim in the sea on Nyepi Day.

In addition, as per a new regulation of the Government of Bali, all television providers, including cable channels, will not broadcast during Nyepi Day. A collection of books is available at WIRED, and DVD movies and some table games are available upon request at Whatever/Whenever®. Starfish Bloo & Woobar will be closed on March 9, 2016; however, our fabulous In-Retreat Dining is open 24 hours, and FIRE is open until 10pm.

Please contact the resort directly for further information.
Print Wikipost

W Retreat & Spa Bali, Indonesia - Seminyak [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2011, 3:16 am
Original Poster

Arrow W Retreat & Spa Bali, Indonesia - Seminyak [Master Thread]

One bedroom villa

Villa Bath

Villa Terrace

Pool View From Lobby

Beach

View From Beach
Old Mar 17, 2011, 3:27 am
Original Poster

More W Bali Pictures

Lobby Bar

One Bedroom Villa Terrace

Rock Pathway Btwn Villas. Wear good shoes. Difficult to navigate.

Another Pool View

Another Beach View

Old Mar 17, 2011, 3:34 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Thanks for the pictures jjwjjw. The beach looks rather unappealing vs. the sand in Nusa Dua, is this from construction?
Old Mar 17, 2011, 8:18 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, United Silver
Found some more post-launch pics of the W Bali on this Tumblr blog:

http://cattobes.tumblr.com/post/3897...d-spa-seminyak
Old Mar 17, 2011, 10:15 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Thanks for sharing the pics everyone. But it really doesn't look very appealing. From the layout to the finishes to the beach.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bulldoggolfer05
Thanks for the pictures jjwjjw. The beach looks rather unappealing vs. the sand in Nusa Dua, is this from construction?
I don't think it was related to the construction. We didn't wander down the beach at all, but it looked pretty consistent with what you see in the picture. The sand was well groomed and pretty clean. They are still working on the area between the pools and the beach, so the final product may look a bit different in a few weeks. That being said, I didn't find the beach area very appealing either.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 7:23 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold
Did you eat at any of the in-house restaurants? Any reviews?
Old Mar 17, 2011, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dkelly1110
Did you eat at any of the in-house restaurants? Any reviews?
Yes, we ate at Fire a couple times. Very expensive even by Bali hotel standards. They charge about $30 USD for the morning buffet. You can do room service for cheaper, but things are in the $15-$20 range.

A small helping of Nasi goreng or mie goreng will be around $15 or $16. Steaks and other things were much more. I think in the $30 to $40 range if I remember correctly. Food was pretty good, but portions small.

I'll see if I can post some more later.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:03 pm

I though people may be interested in this. These are the rates (in Rupiah) available for Indonesians and permanent residents:

Fantastic One Bedroom Villa WNI & KIMS 7,480,000.00 Incl BFAST

Marvelous Suite WNI & KIMS 7,030,000.00
Incl. BFAST

Marvelous Two Bedroom Villa WNI & KIMS 9,730,000.00
Incl. BFAST

Spectacular Ocean Facing Retreat WNI & KIMS 4,550,000.00
Incl. BFAST

Spectacular Ocean View Retreat WNI & KIMS 4,100,000.00 Inc BFAST

Wonderful Garden Access Retreat WNI & KIMS 3,650,000.00
Incl. BFAST

Wonderful Garden View Retreat WNI & KIMS 3,200,000.00 Incl. BFAST
Old Mar 23, 2011, 1:49 am

Yuck, those 'special' rates are pretty bad! Rp. 3,200,000 for the lowest category room is roughly USD368/night. I'd rather stay at an Aman, Como, or St Regis (and possibly even pay less) for a villa.

By the way, that's the way Seminyak beach looks. I agree that it's not that appealing.
flyingnithin likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 7:00 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Using SPG50 brings the Garden View room rate to $225USD per night plus taxes. Haven't booked yet but this is wildly tempting. Same dates, its $280 prepay but inclusive of breakfast.

Three weeks into the property, so do we have any platinum upgrades results yet? (esp. from the entry garden view room).
Old Mar 23, 2011, 9:00 am
Suspended

Cant believe people travel all the way to Bali & pay good money for this

Can you not build the same thing in New Jersey ?

Give me the run down Le Meridien Nirvana anytime ...
Old Mar 23, 2011, 1:04 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by broadwayboy

By the way, that's the way Seminyak beach looks. I agree that it's not that appealing.
I would agree . . . Unfortunately the Seminyak beach, is not as clean as it could be.

It pains me to say this, but I feel that Maui, USA has nicer, cleaner beaches, albiet without the wonderful culture that Bali is known for.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 6:00 pm

I would recommend eating at La Lucciola, just a few minutes walk down the beach towards the Legian. IIRC, its right beside the Samaya... excellent food, I prefer the atmosphere by a mile to KuDeTa, and quite reasonably priced (granted, pricey for Bali).
Old Mar 25, 2011, 2:50 am

Seductive, glamourous, fantastical, and totally electric... welcome to the latest chapter in the Worldwide WOW sensation that is W Hotels, the all new W Retreat & Spa Bali. Central to all that is trendy, happening and SO now and surrounded by all that is 'it', the W is set to be rockin' Seminyak's premier playground to see and be seen at.

Serious Wheels
As the W was rather new, we thought it’s best to organise an airport transfer to guarantee our arrival at the resort with minimal fuss. A VIP Arrival service to bypass the queues for Visa on Arrival and immigration was also offered for a nominal fee but we didn't feel that this was necessary as we arrived rather late into the evening, and thankfully we were right as we simply breezed through the arrival formalities. The W has a big fleet of cars, ranging from BMW X5s to the more humble Toyota Innovas. Wanting to start our trip in serious style, we booked the X5 for USD49 for a one way transfer.

We were met at the arrival hall by a W staff member holding up an iPad emblazoned with the W’s name, which I thought was a totally cute touch. They seemed to know who we were even prior to any introduction. We were soon whisked along to Wonderland in our X5, customised with little W touches like apples, W branded bottles of water, a selection of reading material, and wet wipes. The ride to the W in Seminyak took approximately 35 minutes, and driving in Indonesia is certainly inadvisable for the faint hearted!

Seminyak – Whimsical ‘it’ capital of Bali
A cool zone of style, trends and happenings, what better place to open a W than Seminyak? An eclectic selection of fine dining is within a short car ride from the W, as are a vast array of top drawer cocktail bars and designer nightclubs. Evening cocktails in the sunset at Ku de Ta is a must-do and a mere 5-10 minutes’ (depending on traffic) drive away (alternatively you can walk along the beach which can be faster but I’d rather cab it as the beach is rather dirty in parts), follow up with the sick foie gras menu along with an extensive wine list at Metis and more cocktail bar hopping, and you’re all set for a massive night at The Living Room (not to be confused with a W Living Room which must have been re-named W Lounge here for that very reason) well into dawn. Stay in Ubud if you’re a culture vulture, Nusa Dua if simply wanting to be comatose, or Kuta if completely lacking in taste or class or just want to observe bogans on their first overseas trip made possible by a Jetstar *Jetsaver fare – but if you want to have a damn good time Seminyak is ‘it.’

*OK I do own up to flying Jetstar but in StarClass at least. Suffice to say that if Qantas Platinum benefits weren’t in the picture, and StarClass wasn’t on sale – we’d have strongly considered Garuda in J

Warm Welcome
Upon our arrival, we were met by the Night Manager and his assistants, and greeted enthusiastically by our first names – the relaxed, familiar and down to earth style is what I love about Ws rather than the stifling deference and genteel affectations one often gets at too many luxury hotels.We were led to the W Lounge for a welcome drink. If you get the Rolls Royce, apparently their signature cocktail, be prepared for a liberal dash of alcomahol – it is STRONG! It was certainly a fab welcome! The W Lounge was completely dead on a Thursday evening, possibly because the resort had only opened 9 days before and hadn’t yet spread the word about its delish cocktails and wicked DJing. We felt so sorry for the DJ who was spinning his tunes to no one and would’ve stayed a while but all the booze on the flight conspired with the Rolls Royce to render us completely knackered. We’d hoped that the weekend would see more action at the bar. We were offered a tour of the hotel but declined as it was getting rather late.

A good thing that the bar was so empty I suppose, as we were looking rather bedraggled after putting up with Jetstar’s stuff-ups (that’ll be a whole thread in itself).

We booked the one bedroom Fantastic Villa Retreat at a fantastic promo rate of USD299. A smart marketing decision – we were told how they wanted to get people talking and spread the buzz about their villas. Check-in formalities were completed in-villa. We were ferried to the villa in a buggy along with our luggage (or rather the OH’s luggage as mine were left in Melbourne by Jetstar!), and along the way we were wondering if we’d need a map to navigate our way out of the complex as it seemed like we went a long way. We later found out that we went down a rather convoluted path, presumably because there are designated routes for the buggy on safety grounds.

We arrived at our villa and found my Facebook profile picture in a nice little photo frame along with a personal note from one of the W Insiders! I thought this was totally trippy! I’d liked their Facebook page to keep tabs on the property and posted on it a few times, and they must have put 2 and 2 together. These Insiders really live up to their job title. Our welcome amenity was a mad DIY cocktail set which we thought was pretty cool.

More to come. Up next:
Wow Style
Let’s get WET
Who are the hotties?
Who wants grub?
Woo, wink and sip

Last edited by Keith009; Mar 25, 2011 at 3:32 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.