Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Ile des Pins, New Caledonia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2006, 4:44 am
DCF
Original Poster

Programs: Etihad Guest

I've just got back from staying at the only Starwood property I've ever seen which can match the Bora Bora Nui for luxury (and beats it for beauty).

Le Meridien Ile Des Pins in New Caledonia is one of five "new" Starwood Pacific island properties. New Caledonia is midway between Fiji and Australia, and is a French territory. The Isle of Pines is a real Robinson Crusoe destination: it's not poor, but it's not developed either.

The hotel is on a breathtaking white sand beach, with the island's unique pine trees surrounding it.

Most of the clients are Japanese, although a few other nationalities can be found. There are few excursions available, although a motorised canoe tour is quite magical.

Most of the rooms are bungalows (2 per building) although there is also 1 block of Lanai rooms. The bungalows are Bora Bora Nui-style suites, with a bedroom, a luxurious bathroom and a lounge, as well as an outdoor furniture setting. Most of the TV channels are French, but there is also the BBC and three Australian channels.

There is one outdoor / indoor restaurant, and in the evenings it becomes an elegant one.

There is a small swimming pool beside the lagoon, and pedaloes etc are free.

So what is the catch? Just money and remoteness really. Rooms start at US$450 per night, with bungalow suites going for $550 or $650 for cliffside bungalow suites.

You can only get to New Caledonia on Air New Zealand via Auckland, Qantas via Sydney or Brisbane or Air Calin via Auckland, Fiji, Sydney or Tahiti.

The capital city on the main island is Noumea, a very European little city full of yacht marinas. It has a six storey Le Meridien in a beautiful beachfront location, comparable to the Westin Maui's new building, but not so well maintained. It may shock American sensibilities: it is about a third full during the week so it sells discounted rooms to locals at the weekend, as well as swimming pool subscriptions. This means that there are a lot of local ladies around the pool on a Saturday and a Sunday wearing nothing more than a skimpy G string bikini bottom, which had my son's eyes popping. (Mine too, but I'm more discreet).

Le Meridien Noumea manages 50% occupancy even with these desperate sales ploys. The Isle of Pines property has roughly 70% occupancy, and keeps the chain afloat in New Caledonia.

Apart from Tahiti and Bora Bora's Le Meridien's, Vanuatu has one too, but it is less luxurious.

The Isle of Pines hotel will obviously be a Category 6, with Tahiti and Bora Bora almost certain to be Category 5 and Noumea and Vanuatu in Category 4. The bungalows on the Isle of Pines will be considered suites, and I think 50,000 points plus per night is the likely rate.

I started going to Bora Bora 25 years ago, when it was as undeveloped as the Isle of Pines is now. If you want a destination that is unbeatable for beauty and luxury, but also has a novelty value by virtue of its isolation, look no further than this magnificent property.
Intl359Widget likes this.

Last edited by DCF; Feb 8, 2006 at 4:49 am
Old Feb 8, 2006, 9:00 am

Programs: United 1P. 880k lifetime miles, all on my own dime.
Wow, thanks for the heads up, it sounds amazing. I remember flying over New Caledonia during a LAX-SYD flight and wondering what was down there. The turquoise waters surrounding the island looked incredible, even from 37000 feet up! This property has officially been added to my list.

Last edited by ORDSteve; Feb 13, 2006 at 9:29 am
Old Feb 8, 2006, 5:52 pm
DCF
Original Poster

Well ORDSteve, you won't be disappointed.

I'm just waiting to see whether it offers SPG50s or 35% Resort discounts when it becomes a proper Starwood property.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 6:39 pm

Programs: NW Platinum, SPG Gold, IC Gold Ambassador, HH Silver
^ This sounds awesome! Looking for the next remote place on earth to visit is always fun. I still love Tahiti and her islands of course, but I really enjoy going to remote places that not many people have heard about. Just like when I went to Palau before Survivor made it mainstream .
Old Feb 8, 2006, 8:05 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, PC Ammbassador
I did some reasearch on the Island. Looks beautiful. Would love to make that my next trip. Its amazing how FT opens your eyes on new things.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 8:33 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Hi all -

Any recent stay reports from New Caledonia? We are thinking of heading there for part of our honeymoon, looks amazing.

Thanks,

T.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 9:30 pm
DCF
Original Poster

Two developments to report.

Both hotels honour SPG upgrades, but they still use the old reservation system and so you should ring them to advise of your status if you want an upgrade.

And the Isle of Pines property is reportedly upgrading into the bungalow suites, but only for couples not seeking to have a child in the same room.

Starpoints post well. Unfortunately, neither property is participating in Starwood Privilege, although Le Meridien Vanuatu is, but the Vanuatu property is far inferior in every respect, plus has the added hazard of malaria.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 7:23 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
I took a freighter from Noumea to the Ile Des Pins in 1984. I arrived at 3:00a.m. and the spectacular white sand beaches were lit by moon light. I recall the promotional literature of the time stated they were the whitest sand beaches in the world. Back in 1984 there was absolutely zero development. There had been a Club Med there, but from what I was told the locals were offended my the loose morals of the place and it was shut down. It was interesting to walk through the ruins. I stayed in a real palm frond beach bungalow. 2 beds and 4 walls… that was it, but it was probably about $10 a night too. The location of the “resort” was spectacular. 3 beautiful beaches with no one there until the afternoon planeload of Japanese arrived. It was about a mile walk into “town” to purchase baguettes and other items for meals. It would be interesting to see the place again today.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Anyone else stayed there?

Thanks, DCF, for the very nice write-up, which I just came across. Anyone else stayed there? I'd be interested in any additional info from DCF or anyone else re:

1. What are the deluxe rooms like?
2. Any non-Platinum experience with upgrades to bungalows on an award stay, using $ or additional points?
3. What's the service like?
4. Is the resort walking distance from any other hotels, restaurants, bars, whatever?
5. Is it worth going into town for dining, shopping, whatever?
6. Best and worst times of year to visit, weatherwise or otherwise?
7. Can you take long walks on the beach, or is it rather small?
8. What's the food like at the hotel, in terms of price and quality?
9. DCF's OP says the bungalows are two to a building. Does this mean the bungalows share a wall, or are they more private?

Thanks for any info.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by DCF
The Isle of Pines hotel will obviously be a Category 6,
FWIW the hotel is a category 5 as per: http://www.starwoodhotels.com/lemeri...D=1841&back=-1
Old Oct 5, 2006, 5:31 am

Can someone give me the general logisitics on how to get there ie. airlines and departure cities from the West coast? Kayak, Orbitz and Travelocity came up empty and the air-caledonie was all in French. Any other airlines fly there? I'm trying to get a general idea of cost and travel time from the Midwest (MCI) area.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 7:13 am

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
Da,

You have to transfer through Australia or New Zealand.

I believe there's also one or two flights a week from Fiji and Hong Kong.

I was all set to book a trip here until I did more research. Seems to be snakes just about everywhere. I don't think my wife could hack it so we're going to have to pick something else.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Air Caledonie has a good website at http://www.aircalin.nc/s2.aspx?lg=fr&cid=1 and they are members of Flying Blue! So it should be easy to get there using miles instead of cash.

They fly non-stop from Toyko, Singapore and Fiji among other places. I was thinking of going there next summer (northern hemisphere summer that is) perhaps.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 4:52 pm
DCF
Original Poster

Snakes'n'planes

BigBopper,
I've only ever seen the snakes at the Amadee lighthouse (on an offshore island). They are weird zebra-like creatures.

I saw none whatsoever at Le Meridien Noumea or Isle of Pines, and I wouldn't even let them enter the equation.

From California you have the following options for getting to New Caledonia:

1) Air New Zealand via Auckland (12 hours to AKL, then 3 hrs to NOU)
2) Qantas via Brisbane (13 hours to BNE, then 2 hrs to NOU)
3) Qantas via Sydney
4) A Star Alliance Circle Pacific airfare (the cheapest business class option, requires 1 north and 1 south Pacific crossing, and allows multiple stopovers. Sample routing: LAX-HKG-SIN-AKL-NOU-AKL-HNL-LAX).
5) Air France round-the-world ticket (permits AirCalin flights NRT-NOU-PPT)

In short, it will take 6 hours longer than flying to PPT to get to NOU, and several hundred dollars more in Economy class. Often the cheapest way is to buy separate tickets on Air NZ SFO/LAX to AKL, and AKL-NOU, not least because AKL-NOU is less than US$1000 in Business Class, and around US$400 in Economy.

NOU-IDP is on an Aircalin ATR-42, and costs the same as a Papeete to Bora Bora return fare, roughly US$200.

For American tourists, the most compelling reasons to visit New Caledonia are:

1) Have already seen and done Bora Bora, want an experience "like Bora Bora used to be".
2) Determined to redeem Starpoints in the best value luxury resort on earth: and Le Meridien Isle of Pines is certainly that at a Category 5 level.
3) Wouldn't enjoy French Polynesia as too few English-language TV channels in the room. (No Polynesian resort has anything more than CNN and a video channel: the New Caledonian resorts have 3 or 4 Australian channels with mainly American programming in the evenings).

For those of us in Australia, New Zealand and Japan, New Caledonia is a terrific, convenient destination. For Americans, though, you need a compelling reason to choose it over French Polynesia.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
Le Meridien Ille des Pins New Caledonia MASTER THREAD

Im searching for info on this hotel as Im considering it for our next trip in the south pacific but noticed there isnt a thread. Im hoping that by starting a thread on it people may be encouraged to post their thoughts. Not sure if this hotel is a cat 6, but the location looks stunning. I may consider it for a steep discount from where it is being offered now ($650/night). I did see they are running a promo where you can get it down to $350/night which is more like it. I have always wanted to check out new Caledonia and the French influence in the tropics has always paid off in spades for us. Trip advisor seems to have good marks on them although people do complain that it may be slightly out of touch with what they charge. Im starting to see a pattern with SPG's "luxury" properties in the tropics...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.