differences for U.S. and Canadian members

Old Oct 22, 2001, 11:10 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, CX DM, QF GO, AA LT GO, UA SL, LH FT, Marr LT Titanium, Shang DM, Hyatt Glob, Hilton DM
differences for U.S. and Canadian members

I have just changed my address on file with AAdvantage from the US to Canada...I remember seeing something talking about the differences for US and Canadian members...do I miss anything here ?

- Platinum is available at 35k miles/points (instead of the normal 50k, to match AC's Elite status); is Gold also available at 18k miles/points then, to be in line with AC's Prestige level ?

- I will earn miles/points for travel with CX in K, L, M, S as well, in addition to the usual Y, B, H subclasses for US members.

Are these differences published anywhere ? it's not on AA.com, right ?
Old Oct 22, 2001, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Ssssshhhh.... (though the proverbial cat's been out for a long time). There will be various promo messages when you log on but I haven't seen any lately with the new AA.com interface.
Old Oct 22, 2001, 2:06 pm

You will also get bonus miles for flying in coach on Cathay.
Old Oct 22, 2001, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA EP
I remember it was only 75 or 80K miles for top tier on CP (or something like that).

WHat is AA's requirement for Candian members for EXP?
Old Oct 22, 2001, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AAExecPlatFlier:
WHat is AA's requirement for Candian members for EXP?</font>
Same as everywhere else.
Old Oct 23, 2001, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can you keep us posted on any Canadian differences/promos? I am sure a bunch of us can find a Canadian mailing address if needed...

Old Oct 23, 2001, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I wonder if AA will catch on that so many people are doing that that they might ask to show proof that you actually 'belong' in Canada?
Old Oct 23, 2001, 9:19 am

tedhl, the CX booking class 'advantage' is found:

http://www.cathaypacific.ca/freqfly/aadvantagemiles.asp

I don't recall the 35K requirement for Platinum. But I do remember aa.com once showed earlier this year on its top page that Platinum members in Canada are assured of their status into Feb. 2003. This is before the Sept. 11. So it's irrelevant now.
Old Oct 23, 2001, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do remember that the Canadian concession was made when oneworld was shut out of the Canadian market after CP fell to AC and *A. The concession on fares and elite status matching was led and publicised by CX (to retain pax who would otherwise fly on AC) with AA as the FFP provider. There's little AA service for some markets (e.g., only to DFW from YVR with seasonal JFK service). AAdvantage added a domestic carrier (Canada 3000/2T) which is a "leisure" carrier with limited service and makes no mention of offering AA miles.
Old Oct 23, 2001, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
While I would suppose this could be a "fast track" to Platinum for some US- and other foreign-based members of AAdvantage, I suspect a scan by AA at some point would fess out those who were using a Canadian address as a convenience, rather than as their true abode. Afterall, AA would quickly determine who actually flew out of Canada on their CX and AA flights and might ask some probing questions before renewing or upgrading status. [If they cared to carry out any audits.] As Terenz explained, this has primarily become a marketing tool by CX to keep its Canadian customers from defecting to AC or other STAR carriers. AA has also tried to strengthen their presence in Canada with a branded credit card, from the Royal Bank of Canada. As an actual AAdvantage member, I have never been unable to upgrade my flights ex-YYZ or into YYZ, and on most of my connections further into the US. This is one of the benefits, I believe, of flyings such a carrier from one of its spokes, and not residing in a hub city.

There have been rumours AC will up its Elite [Platinum equivilent] requirement next year to 50K. But remember, unlike domestic flights in the US on discounted fares, AC only offers 50% mileage on domestic flights in Canada: so an AA traveller on the DCA-BOS route would get 500 miles credit in AAdvantage, while an AC traveller on the YYZ-YUL route would get jut 250 miles in Aeroplan. This is why AC has a lower requirement for its mid-level tier, the members in which tend to be mainly domestic travellers. However, on upgrades, AC members get 125% mileage, even when upgrading from a discounted domestic fare, while AA only offers 100% mileage on upgrades.

I am not sure how many elites AA has up here. AC has about 80K Elites and 10K SuperElites [ExecPlat equivilents], CP perhaps half that number before it was absorbed by AC, so maybe AA managed to retain 25% as comp'd elites and 10% as earned elites. This would make 17.5K overall elite members, and maybe 2K earned elites [i.e. Platinum]. I don't think this dilutes the pool too much.
Old Jun 28, 2004, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, 1 MM
Are there any differences today for Gold / Platinum challenges for Canadians?

Does anyone know if there are still currently any differences today for AA Gold / Platinum challenges for Canadian citizens?
Old Jun 28, 2004, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Mormik
Does anyone know if there are still currently any differences today for AA Gold / Platinum challenges for Canadian citizens?
None whatsoever.
Old Jun 28, 2004, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, 1 MM
Thanks for the update

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
None whatsoever.
Thanks for the update. Too bad there isn't a deal anymore for us Canadians!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.