AC Membership: Worth it?

Old Oct 22, 2001, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1mm; SPG Gold
AC Membership: Worth it?

I guess it depends upon your perspective and the cities you frequent, but I'd be very interested to hear from current members about how valuable they feel the clubs to be today.

Case in point, I am going on an international flight from LGA next week, and since it is a 7AM departure, I need to be at the airport at 4:30, when it opens (barf.) The AC opens at 5:00AM -- so what I'd LOVE to do is skip entirely the front desk checkin line, and proceed to the AC and chill with my VP until boarding time?

Is the above feasable? Even on an Int'l flight? And if so, is it STILL worth the $400/year (or whatever it casts as GLD/RBY?) I have a hard time understanding why they don't provide any kind of reward (i.e. miles) for folks plunking down four bills for an "exclusive" club membership.

Thanks in advance for what I know will be informed opinions. . .

best, Lewis
Old Oct 22, 2001, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT, DL DM 2MM, MC LT Titanium, IHG Spire, HY Glbist
Whether or not it's worth it to you is a judgement call only you can make. It's worth it to me as somewhere to go between flights while connecting in MIA, DFW or ORD. They closed the one in my home airport (BNA), so I don't get to hang there anymore.

Personally, I don't pay with $$, but with miles. Some think that's crazy and that the miles are more valuable, but that's what I do.
Old Oct 22, 2001, 7:42 pm

Personally, I think the Admiral's Club is well worth the money. Yes, the food stinks, Yes, there are too few computer workstations with Internet access, Yes, they could offer a better assortment of free beverages... But with all of that said, I still think that if you fly once a month or more on AA, then you are spending a decent amount of time in airports (esp. now that you can't show up at the airport 20 minutes before your flight is supposed to leave). For those who fly mainly international, like myself, some of the "value" less clear, since yor PLT card gets you into any OW lounge when travelling internationally.

However, checking in at the AC saves time (generally), and the agents are in general much nicer than at the traditional check in counter IMHO.
Old Oct 22, 2001, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm always ready to complain about the AC (lack of food, free drinks, etc), but I find it's worth my $300/yr. I think that's probably my cut off though, if it were more expensive, I probably wouldn't pay it.

Where are you flying from LGA that's international? Canada?

Airports like LGA are a pain with the AC though. Since the LGA AC is in terminal D, if you're taking a flight from terminal C, you have to go through D security, then exit security and go through the security screening to get into terminal C for your departure.

I've had eagle flights that have had combinations of delays and gate changes, which, including getting to and from the AC a few times, have caused me to have to go through security at LGA like 8-10 times in one day. What a hassle.

d
Old Oct 22, 2001, 7:54 pm

Location: "Did you ever see Dallas from an MD-80 at night?" just doesn't have the same ring to it...
It depends a) on how much you fly AA, and b) whether you connect.

If your answer to "a" is "a lot," and "b" is "most of the time," then what have you been doing waiting until now to get a membership?

Seriously, though, it's worth it no matter what--especially now that we're all arriving for flights early. Personally, I'll keep my AC memebrship as long as the DFW Terminal A and ORD clubs--the ones with smoking lounges--stay open!
Old Oct 22, 2001, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1mm; SPG Gold
It's definitely the "no more getting to the airport 20 minutes before a flight" thing that's making me think about this.

I'm in the air on AA 4-5 times a month, about 75% of the time on biz and 99% of that time on day-trips. The one I am talking about next week is indeed Canada, Toronto. I will be there from 4:30AM-on, and want to be able to get stuff done between that time and boarding.

My main objective is to spend the otherwise-wasted 2 hours before a flight with a cup of coffee and email -- since I absolutely REFUSE to succumb to getting a Blackberry, and since I am tired of the $0.50/min "poweroasis" internet acccess things that don't work.

I had a membership that I let lapse some time ago, back when things were "different" so I never gave it much thought-- but the way things are now, the idea of going through security multiple times is unappealing...

I agree that this is a personal decision that I must make, but this feedback is all very helpful.

Thanks, LEwis
Old Oct 22, 2001, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT, DL DM 2MM, MC LT Titanium, IHG Spire, HY Glbist
SuperSlug, I've been doing alot more NW/CO lately and I haven't been in terminal A since they opened the new club there. I didn't know they had a smoking area there. I know they changed the smoking room in term B into a TV only room. As for term C, did they add glass or doors to the smoking area? I know there was talk about it (like they did in ORD).

Being a smoker myself, I seek solace in those places so I don't have to outside and go thru the lines at security now. I don't know of any CO President's clubs with smoking, but I know that the Big NW WorldClub in MSP has a room as does the NW Club on F in DTW.

How about the TW rooms?
Old Oct 22, 2001, 8:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP Lifetime Platinum, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
I don't think AC memberships provide value. If you have an overabundance of miles, it might be worth it, as Admirals Clubs tend to be a bit quieter than the terminal, but the ROI on the $3-400 you would spend is ridiculously low. For the same price you could get 100 lattes at your local starbucks.

Additionally, I've found my AC membership to be worth even less lately as everyone seems to show up early and camp out in the club. The last two weeks, I've had trouble finding a seat in Dallas, and Chicago clubs.

For my money, you're better off checking in at the first class counter, buying a double espresso, and picking up a paperback at the news stand. You'll spend less if you only travel once per month and you're overall flight experience will be improved.
Old Oct 22, 2001, 8:34 pm

I think AA has cheated those who have prepaid for their services and then used 911 to close 5 clubs. Ticket sales or not, the clubs are prepaid and we have been ripped off. If ticket purchases subsidize the clubs, then they should let everyone in for free. Follow this link to find out more about at least one club:

http://www.geocities.com/admiralsclub2001
Old Oct 22, 2001, 9:08 pm

Location: "Did you ever see Dallas from an MD-80 at night?" just doesn't have the same ring to it...
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bonzaiflyer:
...I haven't been in terminal A since they opened the new club there. I didn't know they had a smoking area there. I know they changed the smoking room in term B into a TV only room. As for term C, did they add glass or doors to the smoking area? I know there was talk about it (like they did in ORD).
</font>
bonzaiflyer, I don't think the terminal C AC has a smoking lounge anymore. If it does, I'm going to feel really stupid for not having been able to find it for the past few years...

The terminal A lounge is pretty nice, actually. A TV, nice chairs, phones, etc., just walled in w/windows, kind of like the ORD lounge, only in keeping with the decor of the new terminal A club. Much better than the setup in the old A club--in the bar in the back with all the ratty furniture.

As for the TW lounges, I've only been to the one in STL, which is non-smoking. Of course, STL does have those "fish tanks" out on the concourses...

[This message has been edited by SuperSlug (edited 10-22-2001).]
Old Oct 22, 2001, 11:08 pm

Personally, I feel that purchasing an Admiral's Club membership is the best travel investment I've ever made....

I've used the New York clubs extensively and the club in Lima, Peru is fantastic (in that in the airport itself, there is no air conditioning and the number of people crowded there is frightening).

I plan on renewing my membership. The only sad part is that my there is no more wireless access in the clubs...that was wonderful after trying to deal with pokey dial up....oh well, c'est la vie.

------------------
Travel light, travel cheap, travel often
Old Oct 23, 2001, 1:18 am

Location: I have embarrasingly little status but my wife thinks I am great
I can't really call myself a frequent flyer but for what they are worth here are my views on the subject. Having visited ACs about ten times since making Plat I purchased membership shortly after 9/11

The ACs I visit often feel more crowded than the airport because they are in an enclosed space.

The coffee is awful.

Finding a plug for the laptop away from the workstations is difficult

The endless television is annoying.

It's full of people I dislike travelling with, namely professional travellers.

However, for $300 or less I think the money is worth it specially when you consider what other types of expenditure you make during the year which exceed $300 and are even more momentary. My reasons for being a member are:

It is another option at the airport, sometimes I am not in the mood to be in among the masses and sometimes I am.

The front desk staff and check in desk staff are probably the only people you will meet at the airport who will smile at you.

I suffer from SAD and so like the luggage tags.

Twiglets at LHR

Note: The only ACs I have been to are LHR, ATL and ORD which are all on my commute.

Old Oct 23, 2001, 9:39 am

Programs: AA 1MM, Delta Gold, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
Just as a side note - if you join the Qantas Club (which is less expensive) you are granted access to all AC when flying AA. It works like a charm!

Some other club options that you might prefer as well (depending on what airports you utilize) are Diner's Club's access to clubs (good in many international destinations), Priority Pass (many locations worldwide - but no AC as far as I know), or Platinum Amex (no AC as far as I know - but covers CO and NW clubs when flying those carriers). Just wanted to round out your options.

Cheers!

------------------
Check Inventory Availability without a password by fare inventory code at http://flyaow.com/class.htm
Old Oct 23, 2001, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
To me, the AC is an insurance policy. If I happen to get a free Diet Coke and ten minutes at the kiosk out of it on other trips, that's great. But it's when all heck breaks loose, like a good snowstorm, when it's worth it.

I noticed two weeks ago that both ACs at ORD were busier than ever, as everybody was there two hours before their flights but security was very fast.
Old Oct 23, 2001, 12:47 pm

I just joined AC using 40k miles for the 5k rebate. I think it's worth it for me because I fly outta DFW all the time and even though I don't fly AA most of the time now...i can still take a nice mile long walk to the nearest AC to rest after the long walk and then get ready for the mile long hike back to the non-AA gate I stayed in the AC accross from B5 Monday while flying US to CLT...the walk wasn't so bad....thought about going in the PC since it's a little closer...but decided to checkout the AC instead

------------------
Albert

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.