Trial Gold Membership

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2002, 5:23 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BA GLD, FT < 30 y
Trial Gold Membership

My gf got a Western Union today from Aadvantage, saying:

You're among a select group of customers who deserve more than our thanks...(List of all Gold and Platinum benefits)...First of all, we are turning your regular AAdvantage card into gold by extending you the service benefits of Aadvantage Gold Status through March 31st, 2003...Benefits of gold.

Go for Gold or Platinum Membership
We're confident you'll discover that AAdvantage Gold benefits make your travel more pleasant. That's why we're offering you the opportunity to earn full AAdvantage Gold or Platinum membership by flying qualifying 5K miles/points by 3-31 for gold or 10K miles/points for platinum.

She is on the challenge anyways, so will make Gold. Looks like the Challenges are now being targeted.
Old Dec 16, 2002, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CharlesMD:
She is on the challenge anyways, so will make Gold. Looks like the Challenges are now being targeted.</font>
I got the same email and was also scheduled to start a challenge today. I called to confirm that the targeted challenge is the one that will be used since it is the easier way to go. The other challenges are still in existance though.

Old Dec 16, 2002, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT 2MM+; Marriott PLT
Would you mind telling us how much your gf has flown AA in the past year? Just trying to understand who they are targeting.
Old Dec 16, 2002, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
I received the same message today after hitting Gold last week...

I'm curious, what counts as "qualifying miles?"
Old Dec 16, 2002, 7:29 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

OK, this was not the e-mail message that was the subject of a previous post. This was a specific letter sent on Western Union stationery-- OK probably a gimic to make it look important. According to the letter, AA gave her a complimentary gold for 3 months (no asking, etc...). She has to make 5K miles (or 10K in discount Y, I don't know) by March 31st. But since she's already in the challenge and will make it by Dec. 30 this is all a moot point.

In terms of her flying, its maybe 15K miles/year.
Old Dec 16, 2002, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CharlesMD:
OK, this was not the e-mail message that was the subject of a previous post. This was a specific letter sent on Western Union stationery-- OK probably a gimic to make it look important. According to the letter, AA gave her a complimentary gold for 3 months (no asking, etc...). She has to make 5K miles (or 10K in discount Y, I don't know) by March 31st. But since she's already in the challenge and will make it by Dec. 30 this is all a moot point.

In terms of her flying, its maybe 15K miles/year.
</font>
She is probably not signed up for email notifications so they sent it Western Union. It is the same thing I got via email. Actually, it isn't a moot point because it will allow her to gain plat very easily. Class of service doesn't matter because it can be either qualifying points or miles.

[This message has been edited by tazi (edited 12-16-2002).]
Old Dec 16, 2002, 10:09 pm
LLZ

CO has been doing this very same thing since '97 at least.

The way AA is handing out gold (and plat for that matter) the status is going to be about as beneficial as CO silver is (their lowest tier).....see the CO board.

It's pretty useless.

My empathy to those who really earned gold or plat this year.
Old Dec 16, 2002, 10:34 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Excuse me, LLZ

I disagree with your claim regarding the cheapening of Gold when people like my gf are given incentive to fly. How is this any different from a Challenge? Have you read the threads about how Plat is being cleared out? If AA needs extra revenue in the winter travel quarter, and wishes to obtain it by providing incentive to fly, that's their perogative. What other US Airline are you suggesting to get "real" status on? United? US Airways?

Frankly, I think for someone who drops 10-20K miles of business on AA when they need it, on short notice, within 3 months, is deserving of Gold/Plat. Given the nature of your past posts, I am not surprised by your general tone, though.

P.S. My gf was signed up for e-mail notifications, per the 1K mileage bonus.
Old Dec 16, 2002, 10:43 pm
LLZ

Excuse me, LLZ

I disagree with your claim regarding the cheapening of Gold when people like my gf are given incentive to fly. How is this any different from a Challenge? Have you read the threads about how Plat is being cleared out? If AA needs extra revenue in the winter travel quarter, and wishes to obtain it by providing incentive to fly, that's their perogative. What other US Airline are you suggesting to get "real" status on? United? US Airways?

Frankly, I think for someone who drops 10-20K miles of business on AA when they need it, on short notice, within 3 months, is deserving of Gold/Plat. Given the nature of your past posts, I am not surprised by your general tone, though.

P.S. My gf was signed up for e-mail notifications, per the 1K mileage bonus.
</font>
Give me a break Doctor. You and your girlfriend would not have ordinarily qualified for the status if not for the "break" AA gave you.

As someone who made gold, platinum, then exp this year (in seven months I might add, that's 100K!) I think I'm qualified to speak on all levels.

It is not fair to those who did it per aa's terms the hard way (i.e. they made sure they had their status nailed) only to have it slighted by this; an extension for those who didn't travel that much anyhow, but we (AA)want the money and we can get it doing this.

I'm not near so upset with you and your girlfriend than I am with AA.

Happy Holidays Doc.
Old Dec 16, 2002, 11:36 pm

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
I sort-of agree with LLZ here. I make GLD each year with 25-30K miles. Next year, I'll do my usual 25-30K miles. My normal travel schedule includes 10K miles between now and 3/31. Because of this challenge, I'll be PLT for the next year. I'm not "deserving" of PLT like someone who flew 50K miles, nor will I give AA any extra business or go out of my way to fly extra for this. Also, they won't make much money off me with 10K worth of N/L-type fares.

That is just my 2 cents. If I were AA's marketing geek, I wouldn't have targeted myself.
Old Dec 16, 2002, 11:58 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

LLZ

OK, Mr. Network Administrator:

This year I flew 65K on AA. Why did I have to do the challenge to get Plat? This was in my pre-FT days and all the miles were going to BA.

People like my GF normall fly the 25K miles a year. In her case the miles are split among AA, UA, HP (we've only tried to get her miles, credit cards, etc... aligned with American this past year after I picked up on FT). So what AA gets when it gives people like her the challenge is a very loyal customer. Not to mention the gazillions of
miles/dollars that run through credit cards.
With the added benefits of GLD, she in turn is willing to spend more to consistently fly AA, even if the price/timing/routings, etc... may be better on a different airline.

Obviously this strategy works for AA from an economic perspective otherwise they wouldn't offer it.

In life you can either do things the hard way, or you can enjoy the same benefits of flying and so many other things by being clever. Isn't that a lot of what FlyerTalk is about?

If you feel so disenfranchised by American's egalitarian policy for advancing in their FF program, perhaps you should take your business elsewhere instead of whining. There are many other things in life that afford status besides a plastic yellow card.

It is a very happy holiday indeed, thanks in part to AA.
Old Dec 17, 2002, 12:28 am
LLZ

LLZ

OK, Mr. Network Administrator:

This year I flew 65K on AA. Why did I have to do the challenge to get Plat? This was in my pre-FT days and all the miles were going to BA.

People like my GF normall fly the 25K miles a year. In her case the miles are split among AA, UA, HP (we've only tried to get her miles, credit cards, etc... aligned with American this past year after I picked up on FT). So what AA gets when it gives people like her the challenge is a very loyal customer. Not to mention the gazillions of
miles/dollars that run through credit cards.
With the added benefits of GLD, she in turn is willing to spend more to consistently fly AA, even if the price/timing/routings, etc... may be better on a different airline.

Obviously this strategy works for AA from an economic perspective otherwise they wouldn't offer it.

In life you can either do things the hard way, or you can enjoy the same benefits of flying and so many other things by being clever. Isn't that a lot of what FlyerTalk is about?

If you feel so disenfranchised by American's egalitarian policy for advancing in their FF program, perhaps you should take your business elsewhere instead of whining. There are many other things in life that afford status besides a plastic yellow card.

It is a very happy holiday indeed, thanks in part to AA.
</font>
I love it. Purchased GOLD telling the EXP to take business elsewhere.

I'll give you the "clever enough." I thought that was what the challenges were for...but alas, they're gone, replaced with the extended date mileage requirement.

You know, Dear Charles, it really doesn't matter to me, as I'll clear the window/get upgrades before either of you will..I just didn't think it fair for those that earned it. Surely, you can see it from that point of view.

XXOO Luvie Dear
Old Dec 17, 2002, 12:43 am
Suspended
Original Poster

You crack me up, LLZ. It's been a slow night.

Yes, you can sit in front of the GLDs and PLT on your travels between FLL and DuBoisistan or wherever exciting computer business takes you. No problems there.

As our travel is mostly on leisure, I'll take a coach seat to Hawaii or LON any day over Domestic world traveller plus to Cleveland. Oops I meant domestic first. And we can get half-way EXP (i.e. PLT) for our efforts and not have to anonymously sleep in hotels every other week, as so many road warriors do. I'll think of you later this week enroute to HNL. Look forward to my upcoming trip reports...

Old Dec 17, 2002, 1:39 am
LLZ

You crack me up, LLZ. It's been a slow night.

Yes, you can sit in front of the GLDs and PLT on your travels between FLL and DuBoisistan or wherever exciting computer business takes you. No problems there.

As our travel is mostly on leisure, I'll take a coach seat to Hawaii or LON any day over Domestic world traveller plus to Cleveland. Oops I meant domestic first. And we can get half-way EXP (i.e. PLT) for our efforts and not have to anonymously sleep in hotels every other week, as so many road warriors do. I'll think of you later this week enroute to HNL. Look forward to my upcoming trip reports...

</font>
I've yet to go to DuBoise or wherever it is you're alluding to. Cleveland, hell yeah I've been there.

It really is a nice city. Classic midwestern, one of the best museums in the world, and some great restaurants if you're "in the know"...know what I mean. That's just to visit my Grandparents though...I don't go there for business.

For business I go to Los Angeles, Seattle, Phoenix, Buenos Aires, Santiago, Sao Paulo, Miami (I have to drive though, **** it...no miles!) etc.

I'm sure though, as the cocky young M.D. you'll surpass me.
Old Dec 17, 2002, 2:10 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Whatever

[This message has been edited by CharlesMD (edited 12-17-2002).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.