Wiki Posts
Search

Admirals Club worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2003, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Location: Portland, Or. AA Lifetime Plat, Bonvoy Lifetime Plat, AMEX Plat
Admirals Club worth it?

Continuing a recent thread, but a more basic question...Is Admiral's Club membership worth $500 year ($300 for my plat membership and $200 for spouse)?
Old Apr 13, 2003, 12:24 pm

On my last visit to the DFW Admirals Club in late March, I tried out their new sandwich menu. Three other people with me also ordered. After eating one to two bites, we collectively wrapped them up and tossed them into the trash. They were worse than anything we have eaten from the various food courts at DFW.

How can the Admirals Club sell such lowgrade crap food and claim its a new wonderful perk? Since you could now eat in the Club I saw a number of people bring in food from outside vendors. Now I know why.

That will be my last visit as a paid club meember. They only way I will be able to get back in in flying international or with a colleague who still has a membership. I have NOT renewed. I am a two million milier, now Plat who used to be EXP. Was a member of Admirals Club since 1983. They have cut services and products plus raised prices to where I will now look elsewhere. See my comments in another thread about dumping the Admirals Club.

With expanding wireless technology I can better spend my money at a full service restaurant at an airport, rather than pay the high fees for the Admirals Club.

At $500 a year thats 33 visits for about $15 each, BEFORE you buy a drink or a sandwich. We will shop around and now go to restaurants in the airport, rather than the Admirals Club. Better food and drink for less.

[This message has been edited by BUSAAFLYER (edited 04-13-2003).]

[This message has been edited by BUSAAFLYER (edited 04-13-2003).]
Old Apr 13, 2003, 12:42 pm

Programs: Avis First, AA plebian :(
Some people think not, some people think so. I personally believe it is more than worth the $300/yr. Just remember that there's a one day pass available for $50 that allows you access to any AC in the system on the day of its purchase. In your case, if you and your wife will collectively use it 10 different days out of the year, it would make sense to purchase it.

Also, given that low one-day price, you can easily evaluate the club yourself, to see if it meets your expectations.

For me, it's well worth the price. It gives me a nice, quiet place to sit down, hook my Zaurus to my cellphone and reat FT, without the constant racket of the rest of the airport. I find travel much less draining when I don't have to spend my time in the gate area. YMMV. In addition, I find that if I need something done to my ticket, the agents at the AC are much better about it, both in speed and attitude. In fact, I think the $300 is worth every penny just so I don't have to deal with the horrible MIA gate agents. Ever since I got the AC membership, my only contact with them is to hand them my boarding card.

On the food issue, I had the Ham & Cheese Croissant a couple of weeks ago, and i thought it was pretty good. Not spectacular, mind you, but when factoring in the ease of carrying the thing around (they have such cute handles, even the FA's remarked about it) I like it. I prefer to spend my time working, which requires an Internet connection, so it makes sense for me to eat on board the aircraft, rather than between flights.

hth,
-Nathan
Old Apr 13, 2003, 1:12 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
As a Qantas Club member, it's definitely worth it
Old Apr 13, 2003, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The times when it would be most useful, as far as I'm concerned, and the only times when you get anything "premium" is when you travel internationally. Since you're Plat already, that's already covered.

For me, it's not worth it. Except for flight delays and such, I don't spend too much time in the airports these days. And now that no one travels, the airports aren't as crowded, nor are traffic related delays as common.

As I've said a million times, I'm not joining unless the price goes down or the service goes up, a lot. I'd be willing to pay more for a truly premium product; that's not what AA is offering. The AC is like Holiday Inn Express.

d
Old Apr 13, 2003, 4:28 pm
Suspended

Absolutely, positively, NOT worth it! So long as Sapphire and Emeralds have club access all over the world, AA stiffing members by charging for Admiral's Club shows absolute disregard and respect for Americans as citizens and all people travelling within the USA. It is corporate regime greed

The least AA could do is comp membership for all EXPs. I mean, who really gives a care about AC with the type of service they provide, in comparision with the rest of the planet.

SHADO
Old Apr 13, 2003, 5:13 pm

SHADO- AMEN!

They could at least say if you spend $20K in the prior fiscal year than you get free AC access for being a plt or exp.
Old Apr 13, 2003, 6:27 pm

As long as they claim that being able to pay for food is a priviledge, in a club you pay membership to enter, it's not worth it.
Old Apr 13, 2003, 7:15 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Qantas Club membership is MUCH better value - $A614 to join (about $US350 at the moment) and about $A320 ($US180 or so) per year thereafter - gets you into AC, Qantas Club, US Air and BA lounges, as well as getting you two free drinks coupons in the AC.

Dave
Old Apr 13, 2003, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Location: Portland, Or. AA Lifetime Plat, Bonvoy Lifetime Plat, AMEX Plat
Exactly what are the "So long as Sapphire and Emeralds have club access all over the world" privileges SHADO mentions above. Can one enter lounges if not flying on the airline that day?
Please enlighten. Thanks.
Old Apr 13, 2003, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by milesaremymantra:
Exactly what are the "So long as Sapphire and Emeralds have club access all over the world" privileges SHADO mentions above. Can one enter lounges if not flying on the airline that day?
Please enlighten. Thanks.
</font>
OneWorld Sapphire (AAdvantage Platinum) and Emerald (Executive Platinum) members get access to all OneWorld lounges when traveling internationally on the day of travel.

Two notes: (1) Mexico (excluding MEX), Canada, the Caribbean, the Bahamas and Bermuda don't count as "international" for this benefit

(2) You get lounge access on the domestic segments of an international itinerary (e.g. if you can use the lounge in ORD if you are flying ORD-JFK-LHR on the same day)

d
Old Apr 13, 2003, 11:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Here's a post a made a few weeks ago on the same topic...

It appears that I'm definitely in the minority here, but I think that my Admiral's Club membership is worth it.
I'm a young mileage-runner (19) and just joined the Admiral's Club last November. Since then, I've used the clubs probably about 30 times in many different locations (BOS, JFK, LHR, LAX, SEA, DFW, ORD, MIA, STL).

Here are some of the things which I value the most out of my AC membership, and which I'm completely satisfied with:
- very comfortable place to relax (especially compared to most standard airport waiting areas.)
- access to helpful agents when needed (last month I was stuck in BOS and without the help of the AC agent I would not have made it home that night)
- some lounges are superb in comfort and ammenities (DFW/A and ORD are my favorites)
- showers (very good before/after long flights)
- the mini-excercise room in DFW (excellent reason to route thru DFW)
- ability to check email
- refereshments (I suppose that the lack of complementry alcohol really isn't an issue for me since I'm 19).

I certainly have some complaints:
- outside of security at some locations
- no-free internet access in STL
- occasional difficulty getting computer access (interestingly, however, my problem is never with the kids using the computers but with the adults.)

I suppose, perhaps, my satisfaction is partly because I have no experiences to compare the current AC with how it used to be or with other lounges.

I purchased my membership last year when I was just a regular AAdvantage member to use during my PLAT challenge. It was worth the cost then, and, even as a PLAT now, I'll definitely renew.

-FlyerBeek

Old Apr 14, 2003, 12:41 am

My biggest complaint is --- no internet terminals whatsoever at LHR. No computers either.

Had to dial out from the airport to an AOL # in London, cost me about 90 bucks to download a few days worth of email, reply, etc.

My membership expires in July.... I'll call to see if there are internet terminals at LHR before I re-up. Webmail is so much easier than pulling out my laptop and trying to connect to some god-awful phone system.

(I fly through London once a month)
Old Apr 14, 2003, 12:54 am

Location: Los Angeles, xTWA Elite 1 and AA PLT, now AA EXP 3MM, Hilton Diamond
They even took out the old computer at the LHR FL. So no computers at all for AA'ers in T3.
I personally haven't had AC membership in a few years due to the fact I never arrive early enough at the airport to use them.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 2:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

" OneWorld Sapphire (AAdvantage Platinum) and Emerald (Executive Platinum) members get access to all OneWorld lounges when traveling internationally on the day of travel.

Two notes: (1) Mexico (excluding MEX), Canada, the Caribbean, the Bahamas and Bermuda don't count as "international" for this benefit"

This restriction only applies to AA Platinum / Executive Platinum members. It does not apply to people with Sapphire/Emerald status on any of the other One World carriers. As a QF Platinum, I get access to the Flagship Lounge ( or Admirals club where not available) even if travelling economy on , say, ORD-STL, plus also receive drinks vouchers.

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.