Wiki Posts
Search

Admiral's Club - Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2003, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP, AA Plat Pro
Admiral's Club - Worth it?

I'm not a big poster but I do read this board a lot. I have done some searches and my question isn't completely answered, plus I want some recent opinions. I am contemplating buying an Admiral's Club membership and I would like to know if you all think its worth it? I fly AA about 98% of the time out of Dayton, OH. I almost always connect in DFW; its hit or miss if I a long layover. I'll reach 70K+ by the end of the month and I imagine I'll fly at least 50K next year. Pro and Cons? Worth the price? Which is better, pay with $s or miles? Your opinions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Primo
Old Dec 1, 2003, 9:24 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by primozaj:
I'm not a big poster but I do read this board a lot. I have done some searches and my question isn't completely answered, plus I want some recent opinions. I am contemplating buying an Admiral's Club membership and I would like to know if you all think its worth it? I fly AA about 98% of the time out of Dayton, OH. I almost always connect in DFW; its hit or miss if I a long layover. I'll reach 70K+ by the end of the month and I imagine I'll fly at least 50K next year. Pro and Cons? Worth the price? Which is better, pay with $s or miles? Your opinions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Primo
</font>
If you are principally a domestic traveller and stick to flying AA and OneWorld and/or on the occassion USAir, then you may want to consider a Qantas Club membership since it's cheaper than AA's Admirals Club membership. The one key thing is that as a non-Admirals Club member who uses the Qantas (QF) Club membership to get lounge access to the Admirals Club when travelling American Airlines, you will not be able to use the Admirals Club for meetings or schedule meetings there. That is the only downside I see of having a QF club membership over an Admirals Club membership.
Old Dec 1, 2003, 11:32 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
The tangible benefits are probably NOT worth the $300+ fee. However, I have found that the intangible benefits (the AC agents) usually makes it worth the cost.

A little over a week ago ago I was flying CLE-ORD-MIA on a Sun. night. Misconnect last flight in ORD. I am rebooked on 6am ORD-MIA on Mon. However I am flying MIA-ORD-PHX at 2pm on Mon. AC rebooks to 5pm MIA-DFW-PHX and since this is a 777 I am in biz.

Next day MIA-DFW is delayed and DFW is a mess. My PHX flight is cancelled and last flight will be delayed by at least 2 hrsgetting me in at 2am. AC puts me on DL.

In my opinion the AC is the only place that a person can take the time to sort out the problem and REALLY help you.

That is why I keep my AC membership.
Old Dec 1, 2003, 11:56 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
If you fly a lot domestic, it is probably worth it. I remember having a membership to TWA's Ambassador Club and used it all the time. With AA, I am usually flying international and in C so I get in free and have never really needed it except for those flights, anyway.
Old Dec 2, 2003, 2:34 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
I agree with the previous posters. I have had an AC membership for 8 years, and at least once a year it pays for itself on one trip where the AC agents are able to help me out during a period of turmoil in the given terminal. I have never considered the Quantas play- an interesting option- but I'm not sure what the $ savings is. Regarding your question on using miles vs. paying cash, my experience has been that for premium services that AA sells, such as electronic upgrades and AC memberships, the implied value per mile is too low to use the miles, and you are better off paying cash and using the miles for an international upgrade or free premium class ticket. Obviously your circumstances may vary, and if you are sitting on a big pile of miles and/or are in a liquidity crunch using the miles may be a more attractive option for you. Just do the math to make sure the miles required are "worth it" to you relative to the cash option. Lastly there are discounted AC memberships for elite levels, and if you are in a position where your elite status will decrease in March if you acquire the membership before then you can get the benefit of the lower price based on your current status.
Old Dec 2, 2003, 4:08 am

In short. Yes. If you fly an airline almost exclusively, it's worth it to have a membership to their clubs. Since you seem to travel your share, I would use miles to purchase the membership, sounds like you'll replace them quickly enough.

To me, just having a club to go into to get away from the terminal BS, sit down, have a cup of coffee in relative silence is worth twice the price of a club membership, not to mention food when available, phones in quiet areas and bathrooms that are clean and don't smell like a stomp bar.

Go for it. Spoil yourself. Buy or Mile the membership!
Old Dec 2, 2003, 5:29 am

Programs: AA,HP,MP,DL,SPG, MR
If you decide to join and pay for your membership, let me know. Another Flyertalker gave me some coupons, one of which is $50. off an Admiral Clubs membership regardless of any status. I will be out of town till Sunday night but you can leave me an e mail.
Old Dec 2, 2003, 5:39 am

OK, it seems that for an American, Qantas Club costs AU$587.24 per year, that is US$426.91, from this link:

https://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyns/qantasclub/joinqc

Admiral's club costs US$450 for the first year and $400 thereafter, from the following link:

http://www.aa.com/content/aboutAA/AAP roducts/admiralsClub.jhtml?title=Admirals%20Club&anchorLoc ation=Navigation%20Menu#Application%20Form

So, here's the question: for basically the same money, why go Qantas Club?

[This message has been edited by MikeMargolis (edited Dec 02, 2003).]
Old Dec 2, 2003, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP, AA Plat Pro
Thanks for the help. I will be in touch with you soon, MaryS. You folks are hardcore, I post before bed and then see seven replies. Maybe I'll see some of you in a club sometime. One other question, does an AC membership get you into Flagship lounges for int'l flights? Thanks again.

Primo
Old Dec 2, 2003, 6:00 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by primozaj:
One other question, does an AC membership get you into Flagship lounges for int'l flights?</font>
No. Only an First Class ticket or EXP membership.
Old Dec 2, 2003, 6:27 am

Well you've heard all these positive postings. My opinion is the contrary. If you fly exclusively domestic, 450$ is a waste of money for waht you get in AC. Most of the time there is not even time to go to the AC since the connections are short. I ather go get a drink in a bar or a better coffee at Starbucks than the US AC. International is a diffferent story cause usually you have to get to the airport in advance so you can actually use the lounge, the lounges are much better thatn in the us. So it really depends on what you are looking for .
Good luck making the decision!
Old Dec 2, 2003, 7:10 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Colombo:
Well you've heard all these positive postings. My opinion is the contrary. If you fly exclusively domestic, 450$ is a waste of money for waht you get in AC. Most of the time there is not even time to go to the AC since the connections are short. I ather go get a drink in a bar or a better coffee at Starbucks than the US AC. International is a diffferent story cause usually you have to get to the airport in advance so you can actually use the lounge, the lounges are much better thatn in the us. So it really depends on what you are looking for .
Good luck making the decision!</font>
It has been my experience that ACs have starbucks coffee products, as well as others.

The connecting times are getting shorter because of depeaking of the hubs, which seems to work a bit better for the carriers. They are turning around much quicker and doing it with less tin.

You can however, skip a connecting flight or two and take a later connection if you need time on the ground for whatever reason. I'm not sure you can do this on the net but rez will do it for you. I've done it several times without charge. I may arrive in Chicago at 10AM and the connecting to Seattle is 10:50 but rez will push that to the 2PM instead. Unless you're hard core about departure and arrival times, it can come in handy. After some flights, its nice to have ground time just to thank gawd you're still alive!

I agree that many of the ACs in the US are crap, but some are quite nice.

You might want to consider alternate carrier's clubs, such as Delta's Crown Rooms which are nice in the US. Delta offers a program, or at least they did, that you can pay a little extra and use the clubs whether you are flying with them or not. America West does it for their lifer members, but they don't have as many clubs.

Either way, if you're a chronic traveler, a club membership is a very nice thing to have.

Old Dec 2, 2003, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT 2MM+; Marriott PLT
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by alhcfp:
The tangible benefits are probably NOT worth the $300+ fee. However, I have found that the intangible benefits (the AC agents) usually makes it worth the cost........

&lt;snip&gt;

....In my opinion the AC is the only place that a person can take the time to sort out the problem and REALLY help you.

That is why I keep my AC membership.
</font>
I agree with you on this, although I have noted a significant deterioration of knowledge among the AC agents at SEA the last few times. One agent who was exceptional has been absent, and replaced by one who seems very uninformed and agonizingly slow. I asked her a question recently and received a long description (unrelated to my question) about getting to the airport 2 hours in advance because of security lines, etc, etc. Very odd.

Is it just me or has SEA AC gone downhill?
Old Dec 2, 2003, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
WingNaPrayer--
The problem with having a Delta Crown Room membership, but generally flying AA, is gaining access to the CRC's in these security-hyper days. I speak from experience, as that's my current situation. At ORD, or PHL, little or no problem. But at DFW, or at other airports with multiple terminals and separate, disconnected, security for each, you can probably fergetit. Unless you want to go thru the hassle of buying, then refunding, a ticket.

Old Dec 2, 2003, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
This is just another option:

www.prioritypass.com

They have/use around 450 lounges all over the world. They also have different pricing such as, low pre-pay + charge per visit, Bigger pre-pay + 10 free visits + charge per visit or the total package. This may work out cheaper for the 10-15 times a year flyer. This is not for everybody, and as somebody already said, you better make sure you will be in the right terminals at the airports you use the most, but it may be worth a look.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.