Search

Aer Lingus and why I'm an idiot

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2004, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Aer Lingus and why I'm an idiot

I spent half the evening trying to figure out the best way to get from London to Dublin. I had already booked ORD-LHR and decided to do a weekend in Dublin before heading to SW England on business the next week.

Well, I determined that finding a flight from LHR was the best solution. Looked around and found what I thought was a great fare on EI that i thought would earn points, which would be nice since I'm on the Platinum Challenge.

After booking the flight I found out that the flight isn't eligible. I know, I know -- had I done some research I would've known this. Trouble is, when I looked on aa.com (to satisfy my morbid curiosity and perhaps make myself feel better by seeing how much money I saved on aerlingus.com) I found that the AA codeshare was actually cheaper.

Live and learn I guess, but I hope this isn't the difference between one tier and another come the end of the year.

Anyhow, the point of this message -- check AA.com before ever booking any flight directly through Aer Lingus if you want to be guaranteed to earn credit on AA.
Old Jan 5, 2004, 12:57 pm

I still haven't figured out why the AA.com flights booked intra-Europe from BA and IB are often cheaper. I recently booked a LHR-BCN-LHR on aa.com (IB metal, BA codeshare outbound, BA metal inbound) wound up being about $40 cheaper than on the BA site. It's really no big whoop to me as far as the miles go as you only get 30% credit on these anyway.

FWIW, none of what you did makes you an "idiot" IMHO. You're still getting to go to Dublin!
Old Jan 5, 2004, 2:20 pm

First of all if you are an idiot then we are all idiots as all of us do something like this.

I am happy to know that AA does have codeshares out of Dublin, finally. When I checked before they dumped you in Dublin but had no codeshares beyond 'Ath Cliath' to the UK, Continent which shot up the fare.

Why was it that you didn't receive miles?
Aer Lingus appears to give full mileage credit while BA and IB are screwing us with the 25% and 30% restriction respectively.

Why I am playing on the Swiss website now looking for fares. Amazing differences
to Tel Aviv. Dublin to TLV and LHR to TLV differ by about a thousand on Swiss.

FRA is also very expensive. crazy

LHR seems to be best bet so far and we receive full miles on Swiss, for now.

------------------
YAS+
Old Jan 5, 2004, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The Aer Lingus fare code from their website is S, which is not eligible for AAdvantage credit. The codeshare would've earned me at least the minimum Q-points per segment, I believe.

But it will just delay my finishing the Plat Challenge, not cost me it. I just hate the fact that I can't go back and change things now
Old Jan 5, 2004, 2:35 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP MM, HH Diamond
Interested to know why if Aer Lingus points are not valid for the challenge or not valid at all - assume you will get normal mileage as part on Oneworld.

Also where in SW England you heading for - if near Devon give let me know.
Old Jan 5, 2004, 2:58 pm
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by InterflugIL62:

First of all if you are an idiot then we are all idiots as all of us do something like this.
</font>
Hey, hey hey! Don't paint us all with that broad brush! I never do anything like that!

Well, OK, yeah, I do.
Old Jan 5, 2004, 3:04 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RichMSN:
The Aer Lingus fare code from their website is S, which is not eligible for AAdvantage credit. The codeshare would've earned me at least the minimum Q-points per segment, I believe.

But it will just delay my finishing the Plat Challenge, not cost me it. I just hate the fact that I can't go back and change things now
</font>
That is disgusting that you can't receive miles by using the EI website.

Are there other airline websites(like Swiss) that have a similar restriction?

Imagine buying a $US500 ticket and then you don't get miles. I wouldn't be happy.

Have fun

------------------
YAS+
Old Jan 5, 2004, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

FewMiles' site is really helpful. The page I'm referencing shows all the partner fare codes that qualify. Aer Lingus is sparse, it seems:

http://members.shaw.ca/fewmiles/AA/recht/fares.html

FewMiles main site is at http://members.shaw.ca/fewmiles/AA/index.html
Old Jan 5, 2004, 3:15 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Hoc:
Hey, hey hey! Don't paint us all with that broad brush! I never do anything like that!

Well, OK, yeah, I do.
</font>
LOL We all do, but it doesn't make us idiots, makes us human. Makes the airlines idiots.

------------------
YAS+
Old Jan 5, 2004, 3:28 pm

Location: Texas AA EXP 4.5 mm, United Gold, Marriott Plt, Hilton Diamond
you really have to watch out for Aer Lingus....

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum71/HTML/017570.html

------------------
Oracle Implementations .... Will Travel....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.