Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Maria Isabel, Mexico City [Master Thread]

Sheraton Maria Isabel, Mexico City [Master Thread]

Old Oct 11, 2000, 1:36 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Arrow Sheraton Maria Isabel, Mexico City [Master Thread]

I scheduled to be in MEX later this week. Any experience with this property ?? Its either this hotel or the JW Marriott, but I think I will have to go with this one since the Marriott is always full. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks,

------------------
Gaucho100K
Old Oct 12, 2000, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
The hotel is a bit large for my tastes, but the location is good... right on Av. Reforma next to the US Embassy and a short walk to the Zona Rosa, where there's lots of stuff to do and places to eat. There tend to be a lot of airline crews that stay there. (I usually stay at the Westin Galeria Plaza a few blocks away). I was a "Sheraton Gold" in the old program when I last stayed there and had no "remarkable" treatment, but the hotel was fine. In any case, El Angel is right there, and its beautiful lit up at night.
Old Oct 13, 2000, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle

Thanks for the feedback. I checked in yesterday, got an automatic upgrade to the Towers section (deluxe room). Quite nice, got a great fruit basket and other goodies as welcome amenity, and the butler service is also a nice detail.

------------------
Gaucho100K
Old Feb 11, 2001, 12:32 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (thanks to SPG), AA Life Gold, UA Life Gold
In my few stays at the Maria Isabell as a Platinum I have always been upgraded to a Towers room, including butler service. The rooms themselves are about the same size as the normal rooms but have a slightly better set of amenities. The butler makes it nice in that he will take my clothes and press them, deliver chocolate-covered strawberries for evening treats, etc. Overall, I think that this is a very nice hotel.
Old Feb 11, 2001, 10:18 pm

Programs: HL Gold, SPG Platinum, HY Platinum, EY Gold Elite, EK Gold, LH Gold, AF Platinum
Hmm, I got a full size suite as basic member, so tower room would definately be dissapointing. Let's see what will happen..I normally get alaways pretty nice suites (my secret smile) :-)
Old Feb 12, 2001, 7:59 pm

Programs: AC-SE MM, SPG Plat Lifetime, Marriott Plat, FPC Plat, HH Diamond
Excellent Hotel, I stayed there last year for 3 nights and was upgraded in the Towers section with a Junior suite. Excellent service from the staff. Breakfast is included on the Club Level and is excellent. This hotel really exceeded my expectations

Welcome gift was a 500ml bottle of wine with crackers etc...

Definitively recommended.

Old Oct 27, 2001, 1:35 pm

Programs: HL Gold, SPG Platinum, HY Platinum, EY Gold Elite, EK Gold, LH Gold, AF Platinum
Platinum extras in Mexico City Maria Isabel Sheraton

Hi co-fighters,

What kind of extra benefits have you received as Platinum member in Maria Isabel Sheraton in Mexico city?

I have stayed there a few times. They have always denied access to any suites (even junior suites), until I have made a lot of noice and fight. First they say that no suite are available, but after a fight they have anyway found several ones.

Also no platinum amenities of any kind. They do not even offer free mineral water for Platinum members. When I asked it, they told that is their policy.

Once when I was having a very "special" stay I used Platinum desk to ensure an upgrade without a fight. I got confirmation of that, but when checking in, they have used a suite rate for my stay!!!! I wonder if I would have to pay it, if I would have signed the registration form without checking it.

So there is really not much nice things to say about this hotel. What kind of experiences have you had?
Old Oct 27, 2001, 4:33 pm

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
I have checked-out today.

No amenities but Gym-free. Room was really tiny and small, yet the view was nice on the 10th floor. No newspaper at any of the days I stayed there. I was indeed just a Mr. Unknown ...

I'd say this Property is 4* (+) not really a 5* Hotel.

At check-out I was told that for my reservation next week they'd try to grant me a suite... Let's wait and see.

Maybe Hilton has spoiled me... but I'm used to gym-free, courtesy upgrade, complimentary breakfast, ... Let's be patient and give another opportunity at this property next week. I'll post my experience.

[This message has been edited by pb9997 (edited 10-27-2001).]
Old Oct 29, 2001, 1:36 pm

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
The good news is that Starwood staff has contacted me apparently to correct the issues arisen with this thread. Well done !

I arrived at Sheraton Maria Isabel on a Sunday and this week due to holidays it's just a 3-working-day week - loads are light. Nevertheless I was offered a small junior suite outside the Towers section.

After pleading and making them seen that it was really feeble the argument that they were "fully booked" on a Sunday at 4 pm they upgraded me to a Junior suite, out of the Towers section.

I decided to quit arguing and accept as the other option would be to go back to Camino Real (Hilton affiliate). I hate to argue on these things. If they're not politely offered they're not worth - that's what I think.

I'd like to read other experiences...
Old Oct 29, 2001, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Well, the second round of comments from pb is more like what Ive experienced at the Maria Isabel. As a Platinum, Ive always been given a Towers room that includes full butler service and not only a large welcome amenity, but also an additional daily amenity like a cocktail of choice, sweets from the bakery, etc. Sure, the property is a little old and could use renovation, but for the most part (Ive also had some problems there) the staff does a good job.

I suggest you go through your Platinum concierge and have her speak to someone from the hotel, this will make your life a lot easier.

------------------
Gaucho100K
Old Aug 9, 2002, 10:36 am

Mexico City Maria Isabel

Greetings fellow FT members.

I wanted to get the feel from others who stay at this property who are SPG Platinum members how often they get upgraded to a suite or towere room here.

To let you know I am Platinum and so far this year I have 9 stays at this property. I have yet to be upgraded to a suite and have ony been upgraded to a tower room twice.

Two stays ago, I noticed on the folio I was to be in room 740 which is a corner suite. I was placed in another room 1115 in its place. I asked the check in clerk why I was not given 740 and he stated it had not been cleaned. This was at 17:00.

This only made me curious as to others luck.
Old Aug 11, 2002, 9:47 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (thanks to SPG), AA Life Gold, UA Life Gold
I have never received a suite at this hotel, but have been put into a butler room every time. I usually only have shorter stays at MEX so this has been fine with me.
Old Aug 12, 2002, 10:41 am

Programs: AC-SE MM, SPG Plat Lifetime, Marriott Plat, FPC Plat, HH Diamond
I have stayed 2 times at this hotel and was upgraded each time to a large Tower room which was more like a Junior Suite to me.

Excellent service and staff. Will certainly return
Old Aug 12, 2002, 12:35 pm

I have stayed at this hotel numerous times over the past 10 years--I have found that when I booked a Towers room, I got upgraded probably 80% of the time, mostly to Jr. Suites. I rarely was upgraded when I booked a regular room.

Old Apr 29, 2003, 1:24 pm

I had a 2-night stay at march 20.-22. 2003.(Thu-Sat,Fri was public holiday)
Even with my cheap rate (140$, including in-room american bfast) I got a junior-suite after asking.
I think they wanted to give something else.

The suite on lower floor had limited view (not onto reforma, so also no noise of anti-war protesters at next US-embassy). It was a large room with a bar. A bit old already.

Because of my included bfast they advised me to eat downstairs. It was confusing, american bfast in rate and buffet bfast downstairs (I should order american downstairs), but at the end they cancelled additional costs.
They did not mention the lounge and I also did not ask about (stupid a bit, but with 5 years old daugther it is inconvinient to go to another floor just for drinks and we had not so much time)
I liked the separate check-in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.