Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Yankee: Clipper or Trader? Fort Lauderdale, FL [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yankee: Clipper or Trader? Fort Lauderdale, FL [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2000, 2:52 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Arrow Yankee: Clipper or Trader? Fort Lauderdale, FL [Master Thread]

Having already taken some lumps for wandering into a Starwood property without doing proper do diligence, I'm faced with the option of staying at either the Yankee Clipper or Yankee Trader in Fort Lauderdale. I'd appreciate any comments on these properties, as well as alternate suggestions in the MIA/FLL area.

Old Dec 27, 2000, 1:16 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Bringing this thread forward to see if I can get more information about the clipper and the trader, and the surrounding area? I am going to be in FLL for a weekend, and am wondering things like:
*Which hotel is the better one? (Clipper because its on the beach?)
*How is the beach adjacent to the clipper?
*How are the hotels in general?
*What service or upgrade can I expect as an SPG elite member?
*Any ideas or tips about the area? Things/places to see/do?

Thanks for any information.
Old Dec 27, 2000, 6:00 pm
Original Member

I got a nice suite at the Yankee Trader as a Platinum, along with a nice amenity. The hotel itself is by no means a resort but it was a fine moderate property.
Old Dec 27, 2000, 6:40 pm

Isn't A1A under mega-construction right outside these hotels? Last time I was through there (April or May) it didn't look as though they would be finished within our lifetimes.
Old Dec 28, 2000, 9:30 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
From the Clipper you can walk directly onto the beach by just passing past the pool. I had an adequate room when I satyed there a year ago. Nothing fancy, but since I was only in my room to sleep that was ok by me. I did have to fight to get a non-smoking room since I had reserved one but they said they were all out (I played to asthma card) - so I actually got upgraded to a beach-side king room.

------------------
I wish I were 1,000 miles away
Old Dec 28, 2000, 10:38 am

Programs: DL-GM, WN-CP, IC-Plat
Stayed at the Clipper with my family last February for 5 nights. I give it high marks for a mid-priced hotel (although we used SPG points.)

The staff was friendly and helpful. We used the concierge extensively for area activities.

We stayed in the "main" building, on the beach side of the highway, but not closest to the ocean. It's a good walk through the hotel to the ocean from there, but the pool was quiet. The pool at "beach" building was constantly crowded and is fairly small.

We were upgraded to a suite, which was awesome, if you can get it (there are only 5 on the property.)

The only downside is that it's about a 10 minute walk to the closest FLL attractions (restaurants, etc.), while the Trader is in the thick of it.

Good luck.
Old Jul 10, 2001, 1:07 pm

Ft. Lauderdale Yankee Clipper/Trader???

I need to stay in one of 3 Sheraton Hotels in this area- I know they are not the best of choices-either Yankee Clipper, Yankee Trader or Sheraton Pompano Beach. Anyone have an opinion on which of these 3 I should choose? Also, as a Platinum Card Holder, does this add into my choice or not? Thanks for any help in advance.
Old Jul 10, 2001, 1:53 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

There have been reviews on these properties in the past (use the search feature to find them), which you may find interesting. I've stayed at all three of these properties, including the Yankee Trader just last weekend. I would pick it over the others. It is just across the road (access via pedestrian bridge directly from the hotel) from a very nice beach, and there are several restaurants and shops within walking distance.

The hotel has been recently renovated, and I was upgraded to a very nice suite (no amenity however, which was pointed out to me at check-in by the csr). Had a weekend rate which included breakfast, which was very good.

The Clipper is just too complicated for my taste, as it is sprawled out over several buildings. Evidently the room quality varies greatly from room to room.

The Pompano Beach Fourpoints had just signed on to Starwood when I was there a couple of years ago. It's also located on a very nice beach, but is an older, smaller property.

Enjoy your stay!
Old Dec 9, 2001, 8:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Yankee Clipper = Big Dump

I am Plat, was upgraded to a suite that was a dump, old, not renovated, still reeks from a 70's spring break party, no elevator to sixth floor where suites are, get off at 5th and lug your bags up the stairs, no coffee maker in the room, it did have a fridge, Park across the street in an old decrepit garage, no breakfast, no lounge (the clerk didn't even know what a club lounge was)

Never again for me
Old Aug 15, 2003, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FLL Hotels - Yankee Clipper or Trader?

Which is better?

The Yankee Clipper or the Yankee Trader?

Do either have an airport shuttle (website didn't list one, so I'm guessing no) & which has more things to do with-in walking distance? I'm doing a Mileage/Mattress Run & will be spending a Saturday night in FLL and these appear to be the 2 cheapest Sheratons 59/69 AAA 21-day Advance Purchase rates.

Thanks!
Old Aug 15, 2003, 9:09 am
In Memoriam

The Trader is in the center of the beach and the Clipper is at the south end. The Trader is probably a little closer to all the beach action but not significantly if you don't mind a little walking.

There is a shared ride/shuttle service at the airport that leaves frequently for beach hotels. Sorry, I don't know the price but it is posted and cheaper than a cab.

BTW, neither of these hotels is very new but will suffice for a mattress run.
Old Oct 18, 2005, 8:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, Virgin Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
Miami - Sheraton Yankee Clipper or Trader?

I'm interested in hearing from other FTers' that have visited Miami in the recent past and have stayed at either the Sheraton Yankee Clipper or the Sheraton Yankee Trader hotel.

What were you experiences and which would you recommend?

In particular how were you treated as an SPG Plat member.

All feedback gratefully received
Old Oct 18, 2005, 8:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GottaFly
I'm interested in hearing from other FTers' that have visited Miami in the recent past and have stayed at either the Sheraton Yankee Clipper or the Sheraton Yankee Trader hotel.

Both hotels you reference are actually in Fort Lauderdale (about 25 miles from downtown Miami)
Are you looking for a Miami hotel? These would be the Sheraton Miami Mart, close to the airport, the Four Points on Miami Beach or the Sheraton Bal Harbour in North Miami.

If you are still interested in those two properties do a search there are lots of stuff posted which may be more topical, personally I dont have a very high opinion of both places and would avoid them if best I could.

mike
Old Oct 18, 2005, 9:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
this question is like

Should I sleep in the big blue dumpster or the big grey dumpster
Old Oct 19, 2005, 7:37 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AAGold, SW-RR, HertzGold, Marriott, Starwood-Plat
Give the Westin Diplomat a try in Hollywood!

Originally Posted by GottaFly

I looked at the same dilemma this past summer and opted for the Westin Diplomat in Hollywood, FL and got the huge corner wrap-around balcony and awesome lounge access as a SPG Plat. Totally enjoyed it but the beach and the pool area was getting worked on so "no beach access" and you had to go around/down the street. Other than that - the property, pool, exec lounge and lobby areas were totally 1st rate and I highly recommend the property!

Granted, I only stayed there 1 night after being in Orlando, Miami, Key West, Key Largo and our last night in FL was at the Westin Diplomat as we flew out of FFL the next day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.