Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Xian (Xi'an), China [Master Thread]

Sheraton Xian (Xi'an), China [Master Thread]

Old Jun 5, 2001, 4:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, SK Diamond, Finnair Gold, BA Silver
Arrow Sheraton Xian (Xi'an), China [Master Thread]

Just wondering if anyone has anything to say about this property from personal experience. Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 5, 2001, 9:25 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by RoarAhead:
Just wondering if anyone has anything to say about this property from personal experience. Thanks in advance.</font>
I stayed at this hotel early last year. It's very modern, and the rooms are good (standard Sheraton - not amazing, but modern and reasonably sized), but the staff are simply not good. I had to use their Business Centre, and no one could speak any English. I also was being delivered some airline tickets to the front desk of the hotel, and I remember it took them about 25 minutes (no kidding) to understand what I was talking about.

A colleague from Australia tried to call me at this hotel, and he was told I was not there. The colleague then asked if they could see if I was having breakfast in the hotel (it was quite early, like 7am). The phone operator then asked my colleague in Australia if he would like the American breakfast or the Chinese breakfast.... It was one thing after another at this hotel. Not what I expect from an international hotel - even in the middle of China.

Another thing - the location of the hotel is not too good. The Hyatt is much more in the thick of things. Although to be honest, I wouldn't be doing too much walking around in Xi'an anyway - it felt like a very very unsafe city to me - and I've travelled right through China.

The Hyatt Regency is a far better bet - and is where I stay now - the place is just as modern and nice, and the staff are significantly better (but still not up to scratch) Plus .. that's where Bill Clinton stayed, they've got photos of him everywhere!!

Old Mar 4, 2002, 3:36 pm

Programs: Starwood Plat, Hilton Gold, America West Silver
Sheraton Xian in China

I did a search and found no info on the Sheraton Xian in China. Any of you Flyertalkers have any info to impart on this property?

I'll be there at the end of June, hoping to use my Free Fridays there....
Old Mar 4, 2002, 4:19 pm

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Not great by any standards.

Bearing in mind that Xian is the middle of nowhere it's OK. It's located outside the town walls (the town is laid our roman style, with the town wall still very much intact), but it's only a 5 min cab ride ($0.20) to the city centre.

I'd rate it at about 3*. All the staff don't really get the concept of westernised living (Generalisation I know, but it's mostly true). If you want a laugh; order a cocktail in the lounge .

The rooms are quite small and basic, but comfortable enough. Thanks to CA; last time I arrived at 3 am, and not having eaten since 8am the previous day, I decided to try room service. Bad idea; food came in, cold, at 4.20 am !

Heads up - you'll need malaria tablets & a Hep. A shot for Xian March - September.

Enjoy the trip - the warriors are great. Also - the town pagoda, right in the main crossroads of the city, let's you ring the town bell 5 times for about $.10 - DO IT!. Mind bendingly loud - throughout the whole city ; great thrill for the price.

Regards,
Alex

[This message has been edited by alexwuk (edited 03-04-2002).]

[This message has been edited by alexwuk (edited 03-04-2002).]
Old Mar 4, 2002, 4:30 pm

Thanks for all the info. Gotta ring that bell. Bummer about the maleia tablets. It gives me wild dreams.

We're thinking of taking the train into Tibet, the journey along the Silk Road....
Old Mar 4, 2002, 5:06 pm

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Maleria wise - it's not Chloroquin resistant yet; so the standard (but still gross) tablets will do it. I find the bigger, meaner tablets mess me up :-(

Have loads of fun, and give the bell a whack for me :-)

Regards,
Alex
Old Mar 5, 2002, 9:57 am
West Coast 1K

About the malaria pills, the Larium screws me up as well. I just took the "new" pills (can't remember the name but you take one a day two days before, all the days you are in an infected area and seven days afterwards). Anyhow I had NO side effects. Quite a nice change versus the night terrors for 2 months!

Old Aug 8, 2002, 12:04 pm

I stayed at the Sheraton Xian and was pleasantly surprised. Upgrade to a suite, flowers in the room, cookie platter and waters.

The club lounge served a bountiful breakfast and you cooked your eggs to order. The appetizers were a bit skimpy at night.

We had to leave early in the morning for the next leg of our trip and they prepared a picnic breakfast/lunch for us. I found the staff to be warm and hospitable!
Old Aug 29, 2002, 5:46 am
YYZ

Programs: AC*E
Sheraton Xian

Just wanted to say, for a five-star hotel, this property was quite disappointing. Rooms have dirty carpets, and a general smoking atmosphere throughout the entire hotel. Quite a distance from the city as well. Great buffet breakfast though...

Next time, I'll probably stay at the Hyatt or the Shangri-La.
Old Aug 31, 2002, 3:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, IHG Elite KLM Flying Blue,
Hi, just read your experience in the Sheraton Xian, China. I was planning to stay there next year. From the hotel site it seems a comfortable hotel with a nice swimmingpool?
What kind of room did you have?

Andre Claessen, Goldmember
Old Aug 31, 2002, 4:00 pm

Location: KLM GD, DL PM, AA LT Plt, Hyatt Diamond, SPG LT Plat, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Interconti Amb/PC Spire, etc.
The Sheraton/Xian was indeed a disappointment. Consider the Hyatt/Xi'an. Good location, excellent regency club, reasonable rates.
Old Oct 16, 2003, 3:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Sheraton Xi'an, China -- anyone?

I'm heading there early next year. Anyone stayed at the Sheraton Xi'an recently?

A couple of years ago I stayed at the Hyatt, which was pretty nice. In fact, on the web site the Sheraton kind of looks like what I remember the Hyatt looking like. Perhaps the old Hyatt became a Sheraton? Anyhow, any input on the Sheraton would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Oct 17, 2003, 11:00 am

Stayed there last July. Quite nice. Especially the corner suites. However the breakfast leaves much to be desired

Old Oct 20, 2003, 9:18 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
okay, I'm back. Walking on eggshells. Got an email from asia-hotels.com today, with a focus on Xian. On the Sheraton Xian page were a few reviews, in case you haven't seen them....

http://asia-hotels.com/hotelinfo/Sheraton_Xian_Hotel/
Old Oct 20, 2003, 7:51 pm

I dont want to put my foot in my mouth but here goes. I came back from a 3-week tour of China in August. My mother asked one of our guilds why she used an English name. Her answer may help to clear this up. All of the people who work with the English-speaking tourists choose an English name to make it easy on the tourists. They do this while they are in School and some of the names they pick they do so with a full knowledge that what they pick will make us laugh. These are wonderful people who are more than happy to give you their birth name. But if you ask for it please be sure to have the respect to use it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.