Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands [Master Thread]

Westin Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands [Master Thread]

Old Dec 25, 2006, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Arrow Westin Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands [Master Thread]

Stayed at the Westin Grand Cayman Dec 14-19th....here are my comments:

Having stayed at the Westin Los Cabos and the Westin Puerto Vallarta, this Westin was a huge disappointment....

Here are the big negatives:

1) Room -- looks like a upgraded Holiday Inn -- not the expected Westin bathroom...this was the first westin my wife went to after all I had told her and she was very disppointed...so now Iwill have to take her to a real WESTIN....

2) Service -- not the expected service from a Westin ... but this might be because this is a British ruled .. therefore the service....not personal...very stuffy

3) cost -- expensive for a Upgraded Holiday Inn --I was paying 440/night for a partial oceanfront view (got an oceanfront view -- thru SPG GOLD status)

4) Not Accomodating -- I was travelling with my 1yr old baby and all I asked for was an in room microwave -- actually asked 3 hotel workers -- front desk -- and they could do nothing...but 1 of them suggest that I upgrade to a suite for the microwave at a rate of 1400USD per night....wow..I might have been born at night, but not last night...

5) Concierge was terrible-- I asked her for the restaurant suggestions for something that is hot/Spicy with lots of flavoran and seafood .. she kept recommending the Lobster Pot...so I look at the menu which is very similar to Red Lobster...soI told her no thanks and again explained to her what type of food I was looking for and her next recommendation is Calayso Grill -- not what I as looking for...finally I gave up...and did my own research by asking the bellboys and local people at the restaurant called EATS across the restaurant which is basically a diner which has a huge collection of dishes....I would actually recommend this instead of the breakfast at the WESTIN...much cheaper. Now I am not a tightwad, but there is not a breakfast worth $50.00 in the world....

Postives:

1) The pool is GREAT for little ones and big ones....

2) the view is amazing from the oceanfront room on the 5th floor....highest floor possible

3) Spa was good according to my wife but very expensive...in fact the whole island is expensive...but that is resered for a Grand Cayman trip report...

4) food is OK...nothing to write home about -- but there is a 4 diamond restaurant on the property...did not try it..the menu did not appeal to me...

5) Beach is AMAZING...

BTW, I did talk to some people and they said that the Ritz is at the same price level or a little bit more...but it was booked for my dates...

I would have rather stayed at the Ritz than at this hotel....If I do go to Cayman again, I would not stay at this hotel....but I am a traveler who will not go to the same place over and over again....

Overall, this hotel get 3 stars out of 5.....

Last edited by anaggie; Dec 25, 2006 at 3:24 pm
Old Dec 26, 2006, 12:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG LT Plat, AA 3MM EXP
I've stayed here about 4 times in the past 5 years. Was on the island twice this year, once at the Ritz for a week and a week here. I would agree with most of the review, and the breakfast across the street--BIG HIT. For those interested, the BEST places to eat there:

* Pappagallo's Italian
* The Wharf Grill
* Deckers

Avoid the Ritz "Blue" restaurant--unless you're into being alone in the restaurant, nibbling appetizers for $120 per person. The Seven restaurant poolside has a GREAT menu however, including a Bluefin Tuna appetizer that rocks. Bluefin is some of the best fish available anywhere, I can't seem to find it much in the states.

The lobby of the Westin could really use an overhaul. It's just too cold, with lame appointments and a lobby bar whose placement seems like an afterthought. Rooms are basically the same as the first year they opened--the comments about the size are accurate--with the exception that some of the first floor units were re-done with wooden floors after Ivan passed. I stayed in #101 late this summer (right on the beach, regular room) and would recommend it.

The Pros:

* best beach location ever. If you're looking for fine white sand, this is it.
* Safe anytime day or night. Ivan rebuilders added some crime, but still very safe place (walk on the beach at night, no prob)
* good redemption value for SPG points (well right now, anyway) seeing as how EVERYTHING on the island is expensive
* Platinum Upgrade to "beachfront" every time, no suite
* Casa Havana, the 4-diamond restaurant is a MUST VISIT. Excellent, excellent. Likely the best meal I've ever had. Their wine selection is uncanny for a small island with some $$$ vintage selections for the high-rollers.
* a 2-minute beach walk to the Ritz (love Bar Jack)!
* real teak lounge chairs poolside, which they keep oiled well
* great view from the beach front rooms
* beach groomed daily
* beach activity desk near the pool is great--plenty of options (floats, jetskis, diving packages, floating bicycle thingies, snorkels, etc.)
* did I mention the beach?

The Cons:
* only a few suites, which are ridiculously expensive and no middle-of-the-road rooms between a regular size room and a suite.
* pool restaurant/bar is weak
* Freezing cold lobby, hallways
* Concierge not reliable--NEVER book through them, just make the local call and save some $$.

This hotel is owned by a guy from Cincinnati (Bill Yung, Columbia Sussex)--he owns about 60 hotels including the new SXM Dawn Beach.

All that said...I'll be back. :-)
Old Feb 7, 2007, 6:02 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
the Ritz in Cayman is way more expensive than the Westin. take a look at March - i'm seeing hundreds more per night for the RC. however, the RC is on a whole different level, but $800 per night for a basic room....mmmmm....... not sure about that. the spa there is amazing but it did cost 200 for a massage. (i would do it again though!!)

i think the westin got some water damage in Ivan.... there was a bit of a moldy odor in some room pre-hurricane, i understand it's worse now. don't do an islandview. if they are full, you may not get upgraded... and then you are stuck staring out at the parking lot.

all in all, the westin is the 2nd nicest place to stay in Cayman..... i'd stay again, but like everything else in Cayman, it's pricey.

oh best places to eat there.....
Ragazzi (by the shell of the former Hyatt, if it's still there)
Calypso Grill
Lone Star (divey bar with cold beers and Tex Mex, reasonably priced too)
Old Mar 28, 2007, 9:30 am

Westin Grand Cayman

Hi folks,
I wrote a detailed review of the Westin in Grand Cayman based on my stay there last month.

Here it is http://www.reviews.ubr.com/hotel-rev...nd-cayman.aspx

I would be happy to respond to questions if there are any.

Mark
Old Mar 28, 2007, 12:17 pm

Programs: United 2 million lifetime Marriott Titanium LiCo Plat Hertz Plat spg plat former Co Chairmans Circle
Originally Posted by MarkRichmond
Hi folks,
I wrote a detailed review of the Westin in Grand Cayman based on my stay there last month.

Here it is http://www.reviews.ubr.com/hotel-rev...nd-cayman.aspx

I would be happy to respond to questions if there are any.

Mark
Old May 3, 2007, 1:38 pm

Programs: United 2 million lifetime Marriott Titanium LiCo Plat Hertz Plat spg plat former Co Chairmans Circle
Upgrades Westin Cayman Islands

I am a platnium and checked into the Westin this week and was told that this property does not upgrade to suites. I thought that as a platnium I was to be upgraded. I asked and there were suites available All they would do was upgrade me to a Ocean Front room. Was the front desk clerk correct on this?>
Old May 3, 2007, 1:54 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by hvnflyer
I am a platnium and checked into the Westin this week and was told that this property does not upgrade to suites. I thought that as a platnium I was to be upgraded. I asked and there were suites available All they would do was upgrade me to a Ocean Front room. Was the front desk clerk correct on this?>
Sounds about right to me. There are three types of suites available at this resort: two are 2 bedroom suites and one 1 bedroom suite. And, all of them have to be booked directly by the hotel instead of through Starwood, so that tells me that they are probably all above the standard suite category set aside for Platinum complimentary upgrades.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old May 3, 2007, 1:58 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HHonor Diamond, Hyatt PLAT, Marriott PLat, UA 1K, AA EXP, DL PLAT, BMI Gold, Co PLAT
Originally Posted by hvnflyer
if their suite is not classfied as standard suite, then u r out of luck~
Old May 3, 2007, 7:01 pm

Spg50?

little OT, but do they accept SPG50? The web shows rack rate of $512 for pool view room. Seems good use of 1000 points
Old May 3, 2007, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by neuro0
little OT, but do they accept SPG50? The web shows rack rate of $512 for pool view room. Seems good use of 1000 points
They have the SPG50 rate plan, so the key would be to find a time that they haven't blocked it from being booked. You'd have to call the Customer Contact Center to see when that might be. Probably a better opportunity in the off-season rather than high season. July 18 - 23, for instance.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old May 3, 2007, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
I got upgraded to a one bedroom last time I was there. Of course it was my honeymoon and my wife was pretty insistent that this was BS.

Lurker,
If they have 3 types of suites than how can one not be a standard suite? *wood is really letting the hotels screw us with this. It's time you crack down on hotels.

I seem to get more suites with my "one category upgrade" at Hilton's the my "best available room, including select suites" at *wood. There is truly something wrong with this!
Old May 4, 2007, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by BigBopper
I got upgraded to a one bedroom last time I was there. Of course it was my honeymoon and my wife was pretty insistent that this was BS.

Lurker,
If they have 3 types of suites than how can one not be a standard suite? *wood is really letting the hotels screw us with this. It's time you crack down on hotels.

I seem to get more suites with my "one category upgrade" at Hilton's the my "best available room, including select suites" at *wood. There is truly something wrong with this!
Sorry that you feel that way, but there are no standard suites at this property. If you got one - even if pressure had to be applied to get it - then it was at the good graces of the hotel and not because they were in violation of the Terms and Conditions of Membership.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old May 4, 2007, 11:24 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Perhaps surprisingly, I don't have an objection to this hotel's categorization of suites. But I do then object to the way that it is presented on spg.com that suites are available.

"Each spectacular guest room and suite features marble baths, balconies ideal for relaxing in the year-round sun, cable television and direct-dial telephones with data ports."

"Suites Available"

"Our spacious guest rooms and suites are designed to bring the outdoors in."

2 of the 4 guest room photos are of a Presidential Suite.

Nonetheless, the 3 lone suites cannot be booked online and cannot be obtained by a standard upgrade. There's no indication on this website that all of the suites are specialty suites. IMO, this should be clearly stated on the Guest Rooms page.

I love it when I see a hotel's webpage that is clearly stated. The owner of the Grand Cayman property does a better job with it's Las Vegas property's website: "Offering 816 contemporary guest rooms and 10 elegantly designed suites." (Unfortunately, with this representing less than 2% of all rooms in the hotel, I've never seen the inside of one of these suites during my multiple stays. But at least I know the odds are bad before I arrive with great expectations.)
Old May 4, 2007, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
Sorry William, I guess I wasn't clear.

We were extremly happy with the generous upgrade at this property. The staff is one of my favorites.

My problem is the general idea that any property can have suites yet not have some suites that are "standard". It's not right that they're all special. THAT is the problem the SPG needs to correct. And my rant probably does not belong on this thread so please forgive me. The Westin GC is one of my favorite properties.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 2:24 pm

Is there free parking on the hotel?
Can't find anything about parking on its website
Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.